When a pint isn't a pint scam

Flux Capacitor

Did anyone else notice that last year some bars were ripping us off and I don't mean the price...

Some of the bars were advertising 'pints' but they were actually only serving a US 16oz 'pint' which is 473ml at the same price as other bars that were serving the proper UK pint (568ml).

Might sound a bit anal but that's a lot of beer they're scrimping on when multiplied by a festival crowd.

I only noticed because I had one of those Klean kanteen steel pint cups which is a US pint so I should have had beer left over in the paper cup when  transferring  in!

As glasto are having their own steel cups this year it makes me wonder what size they will really be...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Flux Capacitor said:

Did anyone else notice that last year some bars were ripping us off and I don't mean the price...

Some of the bars were advertising 'pints' but they were actually only serving a US 16oz 'pint' which is 473ml at the same price as other bars that were serving the proper UK pint (568ml).

Might sound a bit anal but that's a lot of beer they're scrimping on when multiplied by a festival crowd.

I only noticed because I had one of those Klean kanteen steel pint cups which is a US pint so I should have had beer left over in the paper cup when  transferring  in!

As glasto are having their own steel cups this year it makes me wonder what size they will really be...

Any examples? That sounds illegal! I'd be very, very surprised if the steel cups aren't UK pints.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Any examples? That sounds illegal! I'd be very, very surprised if the steel cups aren't UK pints.

I don't think I took any photos but really to prove I would need a video.

My friends witnessed me transferring the 'pint'.

I think the bars in south east corner/west holts were the main culprits. 

Acoustic field, other stage etc were ok I think.

Basically the tall cups were a pint, the fatter shorter ones weren't.

Edited by Flux Capacitor

Glasto-worker is with WBC isn't he? The other big provider of bars is Avalon, though I've little idea of who runs which bars. Avalon ones are staffed by Shelter volunteers aren't they? It'd be interesting to see if there's a correlation with the smaller cups. 

I've got to say that MDC are all over the bars during the festival and I'd be quite surprised if they don't check the measures. 

Always thought the brothers cups were same size as cider bus. Many a time I've strolled between the two and put my empties beneath the others.

easily done if your a slow drinker and it's not your round by the time you've left one bar and gone to the other!

34 minutes ago, smytho15 said:

This must be highly illegal and and if it was pub it would be shut down with massive fines I am sure. These are very strong allegations do we have proof and why is it a year to come to light.

I posted about it last year as well on Facebook, i'll try and dig out the post.  

The thing is it is a pint, just not a UK pint. As for proof, I have witnesses and i'm sure some people must have souvenir paper cups somewhere!

GlastoLuvvinJock has also noticed it too.

Just to to make it clear again. It wasn't ALL bars.  

From memory it was south-east corner, west holts and cabaret field.

It WASN'T these cups. 

glastocups.jpeg

Edited by Flux Capacitor
added pic

I'd be amazed if any bar at Glastonbury would have the cahones to sell short pints these days. MDC are SO on the case of all bars. Bar concessions earn a fortune and it would be too big a risk with far too much to lose. I'm pretty sure that I haven't been sold a short pint there for years. 

This is only my opinion.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

This sounds a bit strange to me, all bars at the festival have to be inspected by the licensing authority before they are alowed to open, these inspections include wights and mesures checks, so I can't imagine there's be able to get away with undersize cups. I can't help but wonder if this is some kind weird attempt at spamming as the op mentioning the brand of steal cup they had in 2 of the 4 posts they've made on the forum seems odd behaviour to me. 

6 minutes ago, fur_q said:

This sounds a bit strange to me, all bars at the festival have to be inspected by the licensing authority before they are alowed to open, these inspections include wights and mesures checks, so I can't imagine there's be able to get away with undersize cups. I can't help but wonder if this is some kind weird attempt at spamming as the op mentioning the brand of steal cup they had in 2 of the 4 posts they've made on the forum seems odd behaviour to me. 

Lol if it makes you feel better I can edit my posts.

If i was advertising their cups it wouldn't look good to show that it doesn't actually hold a proper UK pint now would it.

I'm pretty sure the cups in question were a plain design, yellowy orange.   Shorter and fatter than the photos above.

Edited by Flux Capacitor