Who's Playing What Day Thread

kingcrawler

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Mandroman said:

Might it be Bowie's touring band (plus notable others) that Emily mentioned they were in discussions with? You'd think that with the Ziggy lightning bolt up there they'd want to run a tribute out on the Pyramid as well as the Park. 

This is what I reckon as well, since everything's gone quiet on the Bowie's touring band front

2 minutes ago, brownso said:

This is what I reckon as well, since everything's gone quiet on the Bowie's touring band front

whether they'll be playing or not, I can't really see Glasto doing two different Bowie tributes at almost the same time on two different stages - and we know there's a tribute on The Park on Saturday night.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

whether they'll be playing or not, I can't really see Glasto doing two different Bowie tributes at almost the same time on two different stages - and we know there's a tribute on The Park on Saturday night.

I did think that, but they are radically different tributes. The Park tribute just seems like a random piece of classical music. Have you heard the Phillip Glass composition? Inspired by Heroes it may be, but there are very few recognisable Bowie melodies in there. Not the same  thing as a load of Bowie songs at all.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I did think that, but they are radically different tributes. The Park tribute just seems like a random piece of classical music. Have you heard the Phillip Glass composition? Inspired by Heroes it may be, but there are very few recognisable Bowie melodies in there. Not the same  thing as a load of Bowie songs at all.

maybe, but it's also something, I think, that will have had a significant amount of putting together ... and i can't really see them putting those sorts of efforts into more than one thing.

The Bowie tribute seems the most likely to me.

Considering the talk from Emily earlier in the year the Park tribute seems very tame, so Bowie band with mega guest singers the likely outcome.

Hope i'm wrong.

Just now, eFestivals said:

maybe, but it's also something, I think, that will have had a significant amount of putting together ... and i can't really see them putting those sorts of efforts into more than one thing.

It would be odd wouldn't it?  Even if they are totally different they would both be 'Bowie Tributes' happening at almost the same time, impossible to see both in full.

I'm astonished that something so downbeat as the Heroes Symphony is seemingly closing The Park.  Maybe they really have an amazing light show.  I certainly won't find out until watching it on the Beeb, despite a great love for Bowie.

8 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

If you go on the individual stage pages in the Silver Hayes section of the official website it has quite a few details of stages and days for that area.

great spot. Stormzy and Kano - Sonic Friday night! that's as far as ive got.

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think the Park tribute is a very Glastonbury way of doing it. 

A karaoke all-stars thing on the Pyramid seems a bit end-of-the (albeit extremely large)-pier. 

It is. And if they had an early morning slot on W Holts like the Greenwood/Sinfonica collaboration, I might just check it out.  But at party hour?  No chance.

12 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think the Park tribute is a very Glastonbury way of doing it. 

A karaoke all-stars thing on the Pyramid seems a bit end-of-the (albeit extremely large)-pier. 

I do think that Radiohead are most likely for that special slot before Adele, even non-Radiohead fans would think so.

3 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I do think that Radiohead are most likely for that special slot before Adele, even non-Radiohead fans would think so.

Dunno, I've been thinking it'll be Tame Impala for the last couple of days. With Big Kev around, and Tame actually doing dates around the fest this year, I'd be kinda surprised if they don't slot in somewhere. Also weird they've got no UK dates so far this summer. 

2 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Dunno, I've been thinking it'll be Tame Impala for the last couple of days. With Big Kev around, and Tame actually doing dates around the fest this year, I'd be kinda surprised if they don't slot in somewhere. Also weird they've got no UK dates so far this summer. 

I'd be really happy if it was Tame Impala, but Neil is saying they're unlikely.

7 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Neil was pretty emphatic in saying they aren't playing this year, and if the slot is a 'special guests' type deal I don't see Tame Impala fitting in with that. 

It is completely perplexing that they aren't there though!

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Neil was pretty emphatic in saying they aren't playing this year

No, I wasn't.

I said there's some solid reasoning around the idea that it's not them in the slot before Adele. That reasoning also makes them unlikely to be playing too, but the reasoning stands up a little bit less well for less-prominent slots.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No, I wasn't.

I said there's some solid reasoning around the idea that it's not them in the slot before Adele. That reasoning also makes them unlikely to be playing too, but the reasoning stands up a little bit less well for less-prominent slots.

Ahhh OK. Interesting.

Edit: Apologies for misquoting you BTW. I imagine that can get irritating :P

Edited by jparx

I think Tame Impala would just about be considered big enough to sub. But as a 'special guests', I really cant see it.

Just don't think they are well known enough by the wider public to justify the kind of buzz of a mystery sub headliner and it would just be seen as a big 'huh?' by most people if they ended up turning up in that role.

That being said id love to see them slot in somewhere though!

Edited by JonSnow