Classic artists you just haven't ever listened too.

roughbloke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, alframsey said:

I've never listened to Hawkwind but I'm told they are great?

Still touring but the only original surviving member is Dave Brock.  I remember them from the days of Lemmy and Stacia their dancer who was usually naked and just body painted.

Story here.

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Still touring but the only original surviving member is Dave Brock.  I remember them from the days of Lemmy and Stacia their dancer who was usually naked and just body painted.

Story here.

That's brilliant! Are they worth a listen then?

20 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

You heathen! 

Saw them a few times in a dingy club in West Croydon. They were utter shit. 

Wasn't that the only song to reach number 1 twice whilst also being a one hit wonder for each band?

Also, why do I know that the backing singers were called the Anadin Sisters?

14 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Wasn't that the only song to reach number 1 twice whilst also being a one hit wonder for each band?

One hit wonder? How very dare you! This got to number 29, I'll have you know!

29 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I think you'll find they were called The Anadin Brothers.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is fucking fantastic. Never been a fan of the soft rock bollocks that followed. My old man played Then Play On all the time when I was a kid, still does now. We went to see him about 10 years ago and he was a fucking mess, the years haven't been kind.

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Mad but Earth Wine and Fire have just come on the radio. Can't say I've ever heard them before and now totally smitten! Yes!!!!

i gave a lot of their songs a listen today after seeing that they were likely to be playing and was shocked to hear that all of these songs i've known and loved for ages were by them. had no idea - they were all just faceless songs to me until now

In response to several of the above and speaking as an old fart who has seen many of them in their prime:

Hawkwind, I'd go and see if only for Silver Machine and a couple of others. They're touring and it shouldn't be an expensive gig.

Fleetwood Mac.  Great body of work both in their original Peter Green incarnation, where you have superb sensitive guitar.  Sadly when Pete's mind went bang he disappeared only to be dragged back many years later in an attempt to rehabilitate him/cash in on his name (depending on how generous you feel) fronting a band called the Splinter Group.  But it was very sad.  Pete couldn't manage it and they had to have a back up guitarist ready to step in and do his bit if necessary.

Fleetwood Mac in their later years also produced some great albums but then got very greedy.  But you can get a feel for both incarnations by going to see Fleetwood Bac, who are a pretty good tribute band.

Pink Floyd still remain for me the most outstanding British band I've ever seen live, and I've also loved the Roger Waters tours, including one great set at Glastonbury.  Well worth exploring all of their stuff.  If I had to recommend a single album  it would be Ummagumma (though it's actually a double album.  Again unlikely they'll really get together again but you'll get a close live experience with either Australian Pink Floyd or Brit Floyd.

This is a clip from the Roger Waters Wall tour in Berlin with a great lineup including Van Morrison, members of The Band and Snowy White, perched on top of the wall on guitar.

Another band worth exploring is Roxy Music.  Great arrangements. Bryan Ferry was at Glasto the other year and did a pretty good set as an alternative to Metallica.

This is from their classic concert in Frejus.  The woman backing singer doing the lovely wooo wooos is Tawitha Agee.

And a great finish, smoking a fag and whistling to Lennon's Jealous Guy

Finally, for pure class try any album by Van Morrison.  He hasn't produced a dud.

Edited by grumpyhack

Not really 'classic', but I do not know any Beck whatsoever. I think there was a sample tune on Windows Media Player. Didn't even listen to that one.

Is he good? I know that depends a lot on which type of music I'm into.

Stone Roses. Whatever I've heard, I've been incredibly underwhelmed. Boring as fook. I'm a huge Arctic's, RHCP, Strokes, Radiohead, Queen, Green Day fan, and so many of my mates love the SR's, I just can't get into them at all.

I've listened to all of Meddle, but only because I was too mashed to get up and turn it off.

For the same reason I've listened to the DVD disc menu music of The Wire on an endless loop for entire nights at a time.

Edited by Woffy