LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

1 minute ago, grayfitz said:

I was in a record shop yesterday and saw they had a copy of the MSG show in a 5 vinyl boxset - without thinking I bought it, so that's going on heavy rotation for the next month or two.

I've been eyeing it up since release, I reckon it's happening when I next get paid.

On 30 March 2016 at 1:22 PM, Wooderson said:

Nothing new on this tour would be disappointing, perfectionism to one side.

I think given there's a lot of excitement about seeing them (even if they hadn't split up, five years out would be a long time for anyone except for Radiohead fans), just playing the hits on this tour is reasonable. Especially given there's a lot of fan favourites they have to miss out even then particularly at shorter festival shows. Most fans want new material, but at a gig of a band they thought they'd never see again, would much sooner go for an old favourite they know, rather than a song they've never heard before. 

Obviously this will change once the new album is done and this run of dates is over...

22 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I think given there's a lot of excitement about seeing them (even if they hadn't split up, five years out would be a long time for anyone except for Radiohead fans), just playing the hits on this tour is reasonable. Especially given there's a lot of fan favourites they have to miss out even then particularly at shorter festival shows. Most fans want new material, but at a gig of a band they thought they'd never see again, would much sooner go for an old favourite they know, rather than a song they've never heard before. 

Obviously this will change once the new album is done and this run of dates is over...

sadly for me i'm feeling the opposite.  watching videos of the shows this last week just makes me feel like i've "been there done that".  it's the same people, standing in the same positions playing the same songs the same way as i have seen before.  which is a shame, cos a bloody love(d) them when they were putting out great music.  fingers crossed for some new material sooner rather than later.

this is compounded by my preference for their recorded work over their live performances.  there's nothing wrong with their live shows, of course, but they do seem to err away from their dancier side, which is what i loved about them most.

of course, should they just decide to play 45:33 somewhere, i'd be on it in no time.

• Upvote 1

I thought it would feel like that when I saw Blur for the 2nd time in 2012 but still loved it. However, I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed them as much last time (2015) without the new songs. 

I guess it'll boil down to how many times you've seen LCD. It'll be my 1st time so it's not an issue.

They will surely do their own tour soon anyway and you'd expect new songs to crop us there at the latest!

Edited by TomViolence

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

sadly for me i'm feeling the opposite.  watching videos of the shows this last week just makes me feel like i've "been there done that".  it's the same people, standing in the same positions playing the same songs the same way as i have seen before.  which is a shame, cos a bloody love(d) them when they were putting out great music.  fingers crossed for some new material sooner rather than later.

this is compounded by my preference for their recorded work over their live performances.  there's nothing wrong with their live shows, of course, but they do seem to err away from their dancier side, which is what i loved about them most.

of course, should they just decide to play 45:33 somewhere, i'd be on it in no time.

42 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Agree with you Yeti. Tour could come across as a cash-in unless there's new stuff - especially given the manner of their "exit".

Along that theme….a few April Fool’s headlines made the rounds this past week, the second of these two which is pretty good…

“LCD Soundsystem Announce Plans to break up after Coachella”

"I thought Madison Square Garden was the most fitting place for the band to say goodbye, but I was wrong," the 46-year-old continued. "I've been wrong about a lot of things, but I'm right this time. LCD has gotten as big as it's ever going to get and it's time for all of us — the band, the fans, the haters — to move on.

“LCD Soundsystem add 15 Terminal 5 shows to apologize for destroying Houston Street”

The band, who broke up just five years ago after playing a series of shows at Terminal 5 and one big one at MSG, have just announced, via an 18 page apology letter by James Murphy, FIFTEEN NIGHTS of June concerts at NYC’s Terminal 5.

Each night will be presented by a differerent festival they’re playing this year, though Panorama are presenting the three nights that coincide with Governors Ball. The band’s June schedule now looks like this:

LCD Soundsystem — June 2016 Tour Dates
June 01: Primavera Fest in Spain
June 02: Primarvera Presents @ Terminal 5
June 03: Panorama Presents @ Terminal 5
June 04: Panorama Presents @ Terminal 5
June 05: Panorama Presents @ Terminal 5
June 06: Roskilde Presents @ Terminal 5
June 07: Glastonbury Presents @ Terminal 5
June 08: Bonnaroo Presents @ Terminal 5
June 09: Bonnaroo in TN
June 11: FYF Fest Presents @ Terminal 5
June 12: Riot Fest Presents @ Terminal 5
June 13: Warped Tour Presents @ Terminal 5
June 14: Ozzfest Presents @ Terminal 5
June 15: Jam Cruise Presents @ Terminal 5
June 16: Maryland Deathfest Presents @ Terminal 5
June 17: Taste of Country Presents @ Terminal 5
June 19: Electric Daisy Carnival Presents @ Terminal 5
June 22: Glastonbury in the UK

Tickets for the Terminal 5 shows will go on Citi, Bank of America, Chase, PNC, TD, HSBC, American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Venue, Fan Club, Artist Direct, Four Horsemen, Plant Bar, and BrooklynVegan presales on Monday at 10am. Check back here for our password. Ticket holders to each festival will also get a first chance to buy tickets for the night associated with their fest. Hopefully things go better this time around.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Agree with you Yeti. Tour could come across as a cash-in unless there's new stuff - especially given the manner of their "exit".

Only if they didn't record new stuff at all. They've said specifically they're working on new material, but are going on a tour beforehand. I think it's fair enough to play fan favourites in preference to half formed songs at this point in time. 

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Am I the only one who wants completely old stuff because every time a band I like announces new material I feel an overwhelming fear it will be shit? Every time guys

there's always that fear. some acts i don't have to worry about, but then there are others that i know have a very high chance of releasing something shite along the way. i trust James enough to know that he wouldn't have reformed them if he didn't have something great up his sleeve. but that can come later. nostalgia at Glastonbury please

30 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Am I the only one who wants completely old stuff because every time a band I like announces new material I feel an overwhelming fear it will be shit? Every time guys

I reckon you're in the majority. For some reason I'm not applying my logic to the Stone Roses, who I'm seeing again this summer. 

9 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I reckon you're in the majority. For some reason I'm not applying my logic to the Stone Roses, who I'm seeing again this summer. 

I've no interest in that at all, but I'm increasingly looking forward to seeing LCD again, except knowing more than two songs this time. Song choice aside, I think they come over significantly better live than on record.

Strange to think that you've got more chance of hearing new material with the Roses this summer than LCD Soundsystem. Wouldn't have guessed that in 2010.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've no interest in that at all, but I'm increasingly looking forward to seeing LCD again, except knowing more than two songs this time. Song choice aside, I think they come over significantly better live than on record.

Strange to think that you've got more chance of hearing new material with the Roses this summer than LCD Soundsystem. Wouldn't have guessed that in 2010.

Stuart, I've noticed you're keen to see both LCD and Underworld, like me. What are you going to do in this terrible clusterfuck of a potential clash? I'm thinking LCD, but I'm not 100%.

5 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

Stuart, I've noticed you're keen to see both LCD and Underworld, like me. What are you going to do in this terrible clusterfuck of a potential clash? I'm thinking LCD, but I'm not 100%.

Currently listening to their back catalogues next to each other hell decide.

In reality, I'd have to decide on the night. My general policy is not to let the people I'm with prevent me from seeing a band I'm really into - I'm quite happy to disappear on my own, even for headliners. This time I suspect it would be a case of going with the group.

Ultimately, I probably won't know until Underworld are about to hit the stage.

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Currently listening to their back catalogues next to each other hell decide.

In reality, I'd have to decide on the night. My general policy is not to let the people I'm with prevent me from seeing a band I'm really into - I'm quite happy to disappear on my own, even for headliners. This time I suspect it would be a case of going with the group.

Ultimately, I probably won't know until Underworld are about to hit the stage.

Also in this boat. It's very unlikely that I'll be able to catch either of them at Glastonbury again I would say.

It really is the clash from hell, isn't it?

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd be stunned if that happened! :D