PEARL JAM TO HEADLINE 2016

guypjfreak

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a very strong support or Other headliner for sure....we can't be that lucky.....every year we get our hopes up massively with all the rumours then we only get some get disappointed then realise it's actually a really good line up.

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If they played, they would be.

Maybe you're right, but I doubt it. I hope one day we get to find out,  not that I'll be anywhere near the stage if they play. But since so many of you like them, I'd like to see your wish granted.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe you're right, but I doubt it. I hope one day we get to find out,  not that I'll be anywhere near the stage if they play. But since so many of you like them, I'd like to see your wish granted.

Ever the considerate Stu 2, I wasnt ever a big fan of Pearl Jam until I saw them at Werchter, and I was really blown away by how spectacular they were, I'd recommend everyone to see them once 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well it's not even a wish really. I understand why they wouldn't be approached to play as I agree they're not so relevant to music at this point as headliners should be and they're not quite up there with your top heritage acts either in this country. But still, all that doesn't mean "they are not a headliner but they should still play ergo they are a sub" when they can earn a lot more money playing to massive crowds elsewhere and continuing to headline festivals and stadiums as they've done for twenty years.

I do think a lot of Glasto-goers would come away with changed opinions after giving them a go but, sadly, I imagine they're not embedded in history enough to be a must see or anything that people would give a chance to in the first place.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I agree. Most people at Glasto couldn't name one Pearl Jam tune. They know the chorus to Alive, thats about it.

I think you underestimate how big they are, and the tastes and awareness of the average festival goer. I find it ludicrous that they've headlined other major festivals here, and right across Europe to enthusiastic crowds, they can fill MK bowl (just about) on their own, and somehow still, they're not quite big enough to headline. I'll admit they're not in the same league as the Stones or Coldplay, but if Arcade Fire and Kasabian can do it...

Edited by maelzoid

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think you underestimate how big they are, and the tastes and awareness of the average festival goer. I find it ludicrous that they've headlined other major festivals here, and right across Europe to enthusiastic crowds, they can fill MK bowl (just about) on their own, and somehow still, they're not quite big enough to headline. I'll admit they're not in the same league as the Stones or Coldplay, but if Arcade Fire and Kasabian can do it...

Not underestimating how big they are in general but for a Glasto crowd? They've had one top 10 single ever and a lot of their singles don't even chart. 

Don't they have a Grateful Dead-esque army of fans who follow them around Europe attending every gig....so maybe ticket sales aren't an accurate indicator of actual popularity.

Yeah. "They didn't do this in Utrecht".  

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not underestimating how big they are in general but for a Glasto crowd? They've had one top 10 single ever and a lot of their singles don't even chart. 

As opposed to Arcade Fire with their string of Number 1 Singles...?  Seriously, is this how we're valuing headliner status now, by singles chart positions?

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

As opposed to Arcade Fire with their string of Number 1 Singles...?  Seriously, is this how we're valuing headliner status now, by singles chart positions?

It is basically the admission that the majority of people that go to Glastonbury aren't really interested in music outside of what Radio 1 tells them to listen to.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

It's not how 'we' value headliners, but it's clearly a consideration for the bookers/organisers. The Grateful Dead comparisioon is, in one respect, valid. The Dead are an astonishing band, and I'd love to have seen them, but where would they fit? they're in many ways a huge. iconic, massive band, but put them on the Pyramid and there's be a pitifully small crowd and a massive 'who?' on social networks and the typical Glastonbury goer would be massively nonplussed. From a selfish perspective, I'd love it, but equally, I can see it would be the wrong booking for the festival.

Edited by Mardy

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No its just general awareness. Everyone knows Wake Up, Neighbourhood #1, Rebellion maybe Reflecktor etc. But with Pearl Jam, you can't have a band headlining when most of the people there couldn't name a single tune.

Pearl Jam are clearly big enough to headline Glastonbury. They needn't be on the Pyramid though, the Other could host them too.

I think the Glastonbury audience is underestimated at your peril. I feared that many wouldn't get Neil Young when he played in 2009 and I was down the front witnessing plenty of young'uns merrily singing along to every song.

And as Maelzoid said...if Arcade Fire can headline then Pearl Jam who regularly play to 10's of thousands in the UK certainly can.

3 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Pearl Jam are clearly big enough to headline Glastonbury. They needn't be on the Pyramid though, the Other could host them too.

I think the Glastonbury audience is underestimated at your peril. I feared that many wouldn't get Neil Young when he played in 2009 and I was down the front witnessing plenty of young'uns merrily singing along to every song.

And as Maelzoid said...if Arcade Fire can headline then Pearl Jam who regularly play to 10's of thousands in the UK certainly can.

No it couldn't as they're still a festival headlining stadium band as they have been since the last century. They were being offered $1m to do Portuguese festivals this summer. When have they ever had someone that big on the Other Stage?

This is the only thing I am contesting on this thread btw. I realise why they wouldn't be a good choice to headline the Pyramid but people are insane if they think Vedder and co. are going on the Other Stage.