Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Has Bryan Adams been completely crossed off? A wide variety of sing a long songs, still sounds great live, big enough to be considered...

Doubt he'd get the legends slot but wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up. Stumbling block would be were to put him. Obviously Pyramid but how high up?

1 hour ago, deadpheasant said:

Has Bryan Adams been completely crossed off? A wide variety of sing a long songs, still sounds great live, big enough to be considered...

I was thinking about "more recent" legends the other day - I don't see it happening this year or probably not next, but I do think we're getting pretty close to the day when some acts that are perceived as contemporary start to be considered..

58 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adams would be the first 'Legend' to have started his career in the 1980s - as opposed to all the others who kicked off in the 1960s (or earlier).

1976 apparently.. He's older than you think.

So Bryan Adams started near enough 40 years ago. Cyndi Lauper has been around for 35 - even Kylie is approaching a 30 year career.. There's got to be a point where some or all of these people are considered options?

3 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Errr... Who regards Bryan Adams as a legend?

To be fair, if we're going to play that game, then several previous people can be ruled out as well. Would he really be any less credentialed than Tony Christie?

9 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Errr... Who regards Bryan Adams as a legend?

Shit weddings bands? The Summer of 69 - Mr Brightside - Sex on Fire trilogy of pooh is still alive and well at weddings.

To be fair, if we're going to play that game, then several previous people can be ruled out as well. Would he really be any less credentialed than Tony Christie?

He was the early course of cheese. Tom Jones did the legends gig that year.

Edited by The Nal

I wouldn't call him a legend the same way you'd call BB King, Ray Davies or Brian Wilson a legend. But the point I'm making is I reckon Adams has enough of a back catelogue to warrant the "legend spot" or at least the "Bacharach slot", but just debating whether it'll be this year or not.

Something along the lines of his set at Radio 2 Live In Hyde Park this year, would go down well with the general population.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

IMHO after Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie brought it into disrepute they should axe the Legends Slot and replace it with the 'Same As Every Festival on A Sunday Afternoon' slot.

Jamie T could play it.

That's hardly going to help the Glasto masses feel smug and self-important now is it?

59 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

I wouldn't call him a legend the same way you'd call BB King, Ray Davies or Brian Wilson a legend. But the point I'm making is I reckon Adams has enough of a back catelogue to warrant the "legend spot" or at least the "Bacharach slot", but just debating whether it'll be this year or not.

Something along the lines of his set at Radio 2 Live In Hyde Park this year, would go down well with the general population.

Are you seriously putting Bryan Adams and Burt Bacharach in the same sentence?