Kanye West

seumasbeathan

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn you've lost me with that retort above. The usual rockist (despise that shit) dogma doesn't apply to me here. His stuff is weak in comparison *to other hiphop*. That's that basement floor of the debate for me.

Yeah I get and respect you feeling that. I just wish the majority could be honest enough to admit it's as simple as just not enjoying the music rather than try to colour it with personal attacks etc, that's all.

Yeah I get and respect you feeling that. I just wish the majority could be honest enough to admit it's as simple as just not enjoying the music rather than try to colour it with personal attacks etc, that's all.

But a lot of people aren't saying that. I didn't go see him because what I've geard if his music leaves me cold. I did however expect some form of excitement, something to grab your attention. On tv at least, it was just dull.

I have however spent the week defending his signing as a headliner to non Glastonbury goers in work. It should have been groundbreaking, it was very far from it.

This thread is piss funny. I have laughed so hard it's helped me hack up phlegm produced by my post Glastonbury Flu! He was a good choice, deserving of the slot, stops (along with Flo) the usual 'predictable', 'boring' and 'old' accusations. He's no genius...not that original really and looked poor. I love hip hop and we'll anything else with quality and he seems sadly lacking. Like I said before comes across like a spoilt kid...not Beethoven though...Definitely not that.

So if I'm reading this correct you think people are using preconceived opinions of him as a person/celebrity to hide that they simply don't like his music... rather than the other way round?

Yes

Oh I just assumed I'd misunderstood as I think it's completely the opposite way around and that people may have never given him a fair shot because he's regularly portrayed as a knob in the media and his status as a celebrity dwarfs his status as a musician, at least in recent times anyway, which is why there were so many people tuning in or popping by to see him without being overly familiar with his music.

He was a good booking regardless of how he went down; he's the defining musician of this era and one of the biggest stars of a time when the world is consumed by celebrities. I think that's all irrelevant now though as we're so far past that. There are very few people arguing against that and more expressing their opinions about the show last Saturday, which is absolutely fair enough.

you're missing out, the guys a musical genius and will be remembered as this generations Beethoven.

No, just no. This was clearly Britney when she reinvented dance music with Toxic.

(This is very old reference and may be past it's best)

He's had a lot of hits, but I think that's overstating things - would be a cracking debate though until we all agreed on Radiohead.

No, just no. This was clearly Britney when she reinvented dance music with Toxic.

(This is very old reference and may be past it's best)

He's had a lot of hits, but I think that's overstating things - would be a cracking debate though until we all agreed on Radiohead.

yer no idea what the reference is and google didn't help me :(

Nah Radiohead are last generations Beethoven

In other news I just got back from seeing Bjork, Kanye and her should do a song together, it'd be great. As strange an idea that sounds it's not totally out of the realms of possibility, they both used some weird producer (Arca) on their last albums so they're both playing with the same type of ideas. Arca supported tonight as well, by far the strangest act I've ever seen I don't even know how to describe it but it made Bjork dressed as a moth look pretty normal

Do you reckon he is the biggest rockstar on the planet?

I hate to say it but I reckon he his.

Other than Taylor Swift & Calvin Harris.

He's not a rockstar so no. He's nowhere near the best performer alive at the moment. But in terms of hype and "fame" it's hard to see past him.

He's most certainly a 'rockstar', and he's correct in saying he's the biggest one in the world. When you think of rockstars you think of artists that push boundaries and cause controversy and rack up column inches but are still admired for it, which Kanye signifies the most nowadays. The biggest rockstar not being a rock musician is just a sign of the times.

So - it's partly about challenging preconceptions around being a "rockstar", and what that actually means in 2015.

Self-aggrandisement is nothing new in music, from Oasis to The Rolling Stones announcing themselves at every gig as 'The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World', to Sun Ra claiming to be an evolved species of alien come from Saturn to save mankind.

I noted that one of the most popular responses to the claim was a picture of Dave Grohl, who's comparatively an anonymous, grounded, humblebloke who runs around a lot.

Maybe rockstars should be a little more in the vein of a Little Richard or a James Brown. Maybe they should be a bit infuriating and bonkers rather than bashful and charisma-free.

This is an old argument anyway - this is from 2013:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/dec/20/kanye-west-rock-star-alexis-petridis

No, just no. This was clearly Britney when she reinvented dance music with Toxic.(This is very old reference and may be past it's best)He's had a lot of hits, but I think that's overstating things - would be a cracking debate though until we all agreed on Radiohead.

Don't worry frosty, reference worked for me

He's most certainly a 'rockstar', and he's correct in saying he's the biggest one in the world. When you think of rockstars you think of artists that push boundaries and cause controversy and rack up column inches but are still admired for it, which Kanye signifies the most nowadays. The biggest rockstar not being a rock musician is just a sign of the times.

I do struggle to see what "boundaries" Kanye West pushes. His music doesn't appear to my ears to be anything new or groundbreaking. The only controversy seems to be when he says something which is purely hyping his own hype. His music is good, the set was enjoyable. But to suggest he's some revolutionary Messiah seems increasingly bizarre as he has very little to back it up.

The only controversy seems to be when he says something which is purely hyping his own hype.

Lol, he's the most controversial star in the world without question. Name me one headline sized act they could have had headlining the pyramid who'd have drummed up as much controversy as Kanye did.

Whether he causes controversy for his own hype or not is irrelevant.