Sub to be added?

Matt42

saw The Strokes at Primavera and they were just awful. no thanks. i don't think there's any way they'd be a possibility anyway - they haven't played the festival once in their entire career, so to be asked a week away from the festival if they fancy subbing seems absurd

To be fair, Julian has played solo.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they're getting older now and perhaps not as relevant as they once were, but The Strokes still headline.  I cannot see them subbing.

They subbed the 2nd stage at TITP in 2011.

I know they're getting older now and perhaps not as relevant as they once were, but The Strokes still headline.  I cannot see them subbing.

especially if told it's Florence & The Machine

Strokes surprise set at the Park in 2010 was dreadful. I couldn't see on arrival and they were going thru their 'sound-like-biffly-clyro' phase...horrible stuff

and then at their scheduled spot in the John Peel tent on the sunday, 3 of the band members didn't show up and Julian Casablancas was left doing his own thing

Courteeners or James. Christ why are we even debating this? they are both not big enough. James haven't been popular in years and i like em! But for the record james > Courteeners

Anyone "big enough" you are not going to get booked in ten days. That's why all the suggestions are of bands that aren't particular 'big' but can be relied up on to put on a solid show.

especially if told it's Florence & The Machine

Strokes surprise set at the Park in 2010 was dreadful. I couldn't see on arrival and they were going thru their 'sound-like-biffly-clyro' phase...horrible stuff

and then at their scheduled spot in the John Peel tent on the sunday, 3 of the band members didn't show up and Julian Casablancas was left doing his own thing

Wasn't that because it was meant to be a solo Julian Casablancas set with none of the rest of the band meant to be in attendance. That's how it was printed...

Oh err... Yeah :-D

Edited by Superscally

All this talk of bands clinging on from the 90s (James, Stereophonics, The Charlatans) is a bit depressing. They are a steady safe pair of hands last minute, but I think, much like I would have rather seen Florence booked than The Who, a new band bump up would be much better. Lets see what Bastille makes of the slot. (It helps I quite like some of their stuff)

Edited by Festival Liam

I'm not particularly a fan of either James or Flo, nor do I dislike any of them.

But in what world would James overshadow Florence? Really?

I'd bet plenty of money on people knowing more Florence songs than James songs.

I'll have a tenner with you then. Trust me, you know more James songs than you realise - you just don't know they are by James.

They'd love it im sure, its a great album, whats not to like

it'd be great glasto juxtaposition.  it's one of the most disturbing records i've ever heard - not that i've listened to it in a long time.  i saw them tour it first time round, last tour as a four piece, which was a pretty grim exerience (not for musical reasons but all the stuff going on around tham at the time).

Yeah same. In the real world the only times I've heard them mentioned are my Dad saying they were good at Bearded Theory and my mate saying he thinks the lead singer is from Wakefield in a discussion about bands from our home city (Short discussion, The Cribs, Black Lace, Be-Bop Deluxe).

Tim Booth is actually from Bradford but his family were living in Wakefield when he went to Uni in Manchester where the band saw him dancing like he does and asked him to audition for the band as they has just sacked off their singer.