Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

And in usual Newcastle fashion, the club are now being linked with every player on earth and signing none of them. Austin won't be coming either by the looks of it and we're getting Dost instead.

Always happens. That said, as fans we probably pay more attention to random ridiculous rumours than others do.

Still, our most successful season since sir Bobby was when we got business done early, cabaye, ba, etc. You'd think that would have been noted.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they don't want to sell. It's not just that they're trying to push the price up cos they know city will pay it. They'd prefer City to naff off.

I think they want him to sign a long term contract and not sell the player. Assuming he wont do the first, then as a club run to make profit they will want to get the best price.

Depends on how much Sterling will force the issue...

Oh, there's all sorts of reasons for why the price might go up or Liverpool might suddenly decide to sell. But I don't think they're trying to sell, and therefore they're not really trying to push the price up - that's just a consequence of them not wanting to sell.

The reports I've read recently have said something about Liverpool valuing Sterling at £50M, tho I'm still not entirely sure that's a price they'd sell to City for. I suspect they'd perhaps accept that from (say) Real, but would probably push a Prem club for an extra £5M.

Edited by eFestivals

I think they want him to sign a long term contract and not sell the player. Assuming he wont do the first, then as a club run to make profit they will want to get the best price.

They held out with Suarez and got a £35M-extra better price. It doesn't necessarily go downwards!

Plus of course there's a number of other advantages from holding onto him for a year (if they can/do), such as his contribution on the pitch that might effect their finishing position to attract better players, the club able to get better selling prices into the future by being known for not rolling over etc, etc.

The Ox world class?? I suppose it depends how you define the term, but I dont think he is close to my definition.

Note the word 'potential' in my original post. I never said he is now, but he has the attributes that if improved could make him into a top top player. He is quick and strong, he can beat players, he can pass, shoot and tackle. Personally see him as a centre mid in years to come, the only thing he is lacking right now is fitness and experience. He is already a fan favourite at Arsenal and he hasn't really had a proper run of games.

They held out with Suarez and got a £35M-extra better price. It doesn't necessarily go downwards!

Plus of course there's a number of other advantages from holding onto him for a year (if they can/do), such as his contribution on the pitch that might effect their finishing position to attract better players, the club able to get better selling prices into the future by being known for not rolling over etc, etc.

Part of the Sterling issue is also that QPR apparently get 20% of any sell on fee...

I think he will go. Could be a tevez situation of being 'too tired' to play games...

I think he will go. Could be a tevez situation of being 'too tired' to play games...

I wouldn't be surprised if he went, but he doesn't strike me as the type of player who'll be happy to not be playing.

I'm vaguely aware that he got his very first games partly because he started kicking off at not playing, and I have a feeling there might have been threats around a contract at that point too.

Always happens. That said, as fans we probably pay more attention to random ridiculous rumours than others do.

Still, our most successful season since sir Bobby was when we got business done early, cabaye, ba, etc. You'd think that would have been noted.

i understand that they want to get best value in market but for god sake just pay that bit extra for Austin and get it done. Dost looking like the first one to come through now. Don't know anything about him or any of the championship players we are linked with. Kinda gave up on football last season.

i understand that they want to get best value in market but for god sake just pay that bit extra for Austin and get it done. Dost looking like the first one to come through now. Don't know anything about him or any of the championship players we are linked with. Kinda gave up on football last season.

For newcastle, Mclaren will never get you anything, but you will always be safe 8-12 position. Which is all he wants.

Just dug out the programme for our last game against Everton, which tells me that Swansea's last away following was 1,308. So they brought less than half of what they could have taken.

Ah fantastic! Thanks :D

New West Ham Kit revealed:

boleyn-kit-article-image.jpg

CH2LvDCWEAEY29C.jpg

Ruined as usual by the sponsor, it just looks terrible where they have put it.

Looks like West Ham might be getting Jenkinson on loan again to, which is good for the season but we really need someone permanent for RB.

Ruined as usual by the sponsor

do you reckon this one might last the whole season? :P

Looks like West Ham might be getting Jenkinson on loan again to, which is good for the season but we really need someone permanent for RB.

I saw a ridiculously low price mentioned for him the other day. I think it was only £4M - and he's surely got to be a bargain at that price?

I saw a ridiculously low price mentioned for him the other day. I think it was only £4M - and he's surely got to be a bargain at that price?

That's nuts, He had a great season last year, I would have him back at arsenal but we are overrun with potential right backs currently. Bellerin has fully established himself, Debuchy is going to have to go some to displace him, plus Chambers can fill in there if needed. I'd rather Jenkinson go out on loan again with a recall option.

Just had a quick look around and can't see anything about that. Are you sure it wasn't the £2m figure you saw (which is what Sunderland had supposedly agreed as a loan fee)?

That's nuts, He had a great season last year, I would have him back at arsenal but we are overrun with potential right backs currently. Bellerin has fully established himself, Debuchy is going to have to go some to displace him, plus Chambers can fill in there if needed. I'd rather Jenkinson go out on loan again with a recall option.

Yeah, best plan for me is to send Jenkinson out on loan for another season and keep Debuchy/Bellerin as first team right backs, and then the following season have Jenkinson/Bellerin slugging it out, similar to Monreal/Gibbs at left back.

For newcastle, Mclaren will never get you anything, but you will always be safe 8-12 position. Which is all he wants.

they need to kick on then because that was too close last season. Need new faces and ones who will have an impact. Don't need another Rivere with his 1 goal in 18.

:lol:

I think someone had agreed a £4m fee last season or the year but he said he didn't want to go? (Can't remember who it was, might have even been Sunderland!) and that being mentioned in a guess for a price this season. I think most places thought the permanent price was going be around £8m, a shame cause given his age I still think he would have been decent value.

According to the people who do the fixtures they did!

This is correct, I also heard this on Talksport last week, they were interviewing the guy who heads the team doing the fixtures, he was on for around 15 minutes and it was really interesting and he was asked why isn't West Ham's last game of the season at home and he said they wanted it to be the week before but wouldn't be drawn on why.

However apparently the reason is so it gets picked as a sky game as it won't get caught up in last game of season deciding fixtures. 

Think this was Weds night last week, around 10.30pm if you can listen back that far, not sure.