The Other Stage - time for a change?

blackred

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's huge. Love it

think they've realised that some acts get ginormous crowds on the Other Stage now. Also helps with directing people away from the Pyramid if there's a stage equally as big?

It's a shame there's virtually nobody worth watching on there this year then really.

Unless there's something we don't know.

It's a shame there's virtually nobody worth watching on there this year then really.

Unless there's something we don't know.

The Chemical Brothers, The Cribs, Jamie T, Belle and Sebastian, Ben Howard

couple of things I reckon i'l be at.

everyone's always on about best pyramid sets ever, etc... but this in 2013 perhaps amongst best ever Other sets? what would the other 5 or so be? I guess for history's sake the run of acts in 94 (was it?) where there were about 4 or 5 future headliners playing pretty much side-by-side would be the another "Other Stage" moment?

The Flaming Lips in 2010 would have to be up there!

Well, it was the NME stage for a good while - tbf I still think thats a better name than its current one.

Can't believe anyone would want it named after some shitty sponsor! I'm sure some grubby corporation like EE would love to have their branding plastered all over it, but I love that it's just called 'Other'.

The Chemical Brothers, The Cribs, Jamie T, Belle and Sebastian, Ben Howard

couple of things I reckon i'l be at.

Pretty similar to my list for the stage this year, but wouldn't be surprised if I caught a couple more there depending on how I feel at the time.

Someone mentioned the sunset stage, how about the Sundown stage? I love the warm sun on my back through the afternoon and evening, great feeling. During Gomez in '99 a member of the band was just blown away by the amazing sunset and got the whole crowd to take a moment to appreciate it, that was the moment I truly fell in love with Glastonbury.

Pretty similar to my list for the stage this year, but wouldn't be surprised if I caught a couple more there depending on how I feel at the time.

Someone mentioned the sunset stage, how about the Sundown stage? I love the warm sun on my back through the afternoon and evening, great feeling. During Gomez in '99 a member of the band was just blown away by the amazing sunset and got the whole crowd to take a moment to appreciate it, that was the moment I truly fell in love with Glastonbury.

Agreed

Can't believe anyone would want it named after some shitty sponsor! I'm sure some grubby corporation like EE would love to have their branding plastered all over it, but I love that it's just called 'Other'.

Absolutely, especially one so up its own arse and still thinks what it says is relevant when the truth is it never was...

The Flaming Lips in 2010 would have to be up there!

I do feel that is something that the Other is lacking this year, the 'cult act/s'. Manics, Pixies, Massive Attack, Portishead, Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins etc. etc. from years gone by, the list goes on. Nothing like that really this year.

think they've realised that some acts get ginormous crowds on the Other Stage now. Also helps with directing people away from the Pyramid if there's a stage equally as big?

You're right.

People should have a general glance at the acts and scheduling for this year.

Other Stage is massively important for attracting some parts of Glastonbury away from the Pyramid.

However big the Pyamid act at the time may be, something else big/important/distracting will be on Other -- or West Holts! --to help you disperse yourself.

And also, don't forget the 'what's going on in that tent over there'-type acts -- over towards the (much more) Obscure Stage(s).

Edited by William of Walworth

I do feel that is something that the Other is lacking this year, the 'cult act/s'. Manics, Pixies, Massive Attack, Portishead, Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins etc. etc. from years gone by, the list goes on. Nothing like that really this year.

yep i was really hoping Beck or Iggy Pop would be added to kind of fill this void, but alas they were not. still a couple of things i'll be seeing, but it's missing those one or two 'wow' acts that usually drag the Other away from looking like total garbage. that Friday alone is just... horrible

excited to see if the new setup has an effect on the acts performing. looks gigantic - surely on level with most other major festivals main stages

Ah, you see, I think the Other Stahe lineup is dreaful this year, but it's not designed for me, I'm not hte demograohic it's aimed at. I've got the Park, West Holts, whatever, wherever. it shouldn't be a home for 90s indie nostalgia - The Pixies/Smashing Pumpkins/Manics.

It's sort of doing what it should and WoW is right, it's busy for much of it, especially when it puts on music that doesn't necessarily fit this board's collective taste. There are a lot of people at that stage, and there will be a lot of people this year for some bands that i think are dreasdful, but you know, if those people looked through my record collection, I'm sure they'd think it was equally stinky.

They should put the stage in the middle of the field, instead of at the end, and make it one of those open, 360 degree stages (so that it's surrounded by people). That'd give it a cool, unique gimmick. Also, if someone does a bad set, they can't escape so easily!

They should put the stage in the middle of the field, instead of at the end, and make it one of those open, 360 degree stages (so that it's surrounded by people). That'd give it a cool, unique gimmick. Also, if someone does a bad set, they can't escape so easily!

A logistical nightmare for a gimmick. It would cost way too much money and effort for it to be worth it at all

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Quite like the "Sundown Stage". Might upset the 'Sundown festival' organisers however (did anyone see that 'Festivals, Sex and Suspicious Parents' on telly the other day - not a festival I'd enjoy I reckon - Magaluf in a field).

Have to say it currently looks like a big version of your standard V, Reading, Download, IoW 'arena style' stage at the moment....

How about "Not the Pyramid Stage"?