The Other Stage - time for a change?

blackred

That bloody tv show! I've watched a couple of episodes on iPlayer and it paints a terrible view of festivals, concentrating on drinking, pissing, vomitting, fighting and shagging. I thought it might be nice to have a look at some other festivals from the inside, but as all it ever shows you is tents, burger vans and bars you get no insight into the fact it's at a festival at all really.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked the name of The Other Stage (only complaint is that it's hard to abbreviate, given TOS is used for "the official site"

My first festival was V2001 and the second stage there was the Wembley TV stage (me neither) so I appreciated the simplicity of the Other Stage.

As has been suggested, it wouldn't surprise me if, in many, many years' time, Michael Eavis' name were attached to the stage (though it also wouldn't surprise me if he expressly forbid it!)

you get no insight into the fact it's at a festival at all really.

I watched it the other night and all I found myself doing was trying to work if they had actually bothered with going to see any acts or if the camera's maybe weren't allowed to film near stages! (But others have shown them at least heading that way!)

Didn't look an appealing festival though, even if all you saw the campsite and the bar.

Didn't look an appealing festival though, even if all you saw the campsite and the bar.

Sundown is just a gig in afield which just happens to have a campsite attached.

Didn't they go & see Chase & Status at one point?

Anyway I am really looking forward to seeing this new stage once its fully finished. Bit worried for the smaller bands playing on it though.

Edited by Couchy

How about the 'War of the Worlds' stage?

The Friday opening act turns out to be Jeff Wayne, who performs the album in full, with special guests. When the Martians invade, the whole stages rises up on mechanical legs, and circles the field, shooting lasers to vaporise camping chairs and picnic blankets.

How about the 'War of the Worlds' stage?

The Friday opening act turns out to be Jeff Wayne, who performs the album in full, with special guests. When the Martians invade, the whole stages rises up on mechanical legs, and circles the field, shooting lasers to vaporise camping chairs and picnic blankets.

i think that's the new Arcadia show.

That bloody tv show! I've watched a couple of episodes on iPlayer and it paints a terrible view of festivals, concentrating on drinking, pissing, vomitting, fighting and shagging. I thought it might be nice to have a look at some other festivals from the inside, but as all it ever shows you is tents, burger vans and bars you get no insight into the fact it's at a festival at all really.

Worst part was the show ending with the parents telling their respective sons they were "quite proud", after spending the weekend watching said offspring treat women like rats and ruin their bank accounts. Get the feeling the parents were only in it for a free weekend in a hotel and weren't interested in sorting out their kids' behaviour at all.

Sundown is just a gig in afield which just happens to have a campsite attached.

Didn't they go & see Chase & Status at one point?

Yeah then it all got a bit rowdy and half of them fucked off :P

Worst part was the show ending with the parents telling their respective sons they were "quite proud", after spending the weekend watching said offspring treat women like rats and ruin their bank accounts. Get the feeling the parents were only in it for a free weekend in a hotel and weren't interested in sorting out their kids' behaviour at all.

The Dad actually said at one point it was "just banter"!! Parents as bad as the kids!

Edited by LondonTom

Quite like the "Sundown Stage". Might upset the 'Sundown festival' organisers however (did anyone see that 'Festivals, Sex and Suspicious Parents' on telly the other day - not a festival I'd enjoy I reckon - Magaluf in a field).

Have to say it currently looks like a big version of your standard V, Reading, Download, IoW 'arena style' stage at the moment....

How about "Not the Pyramid Stage"?

the kid on that was the biggest arsewipe ive ever seen.