BEST AND WORST CAMPING SPOTS

TNT1970

You will be fine at that time (going on last year).

We got camped by 11am. Our mate arrived by coach at 4/5 ish and was fine. (He had a huge tent with him).

I think Woodsies is probably where we will camp, but I wouldn't mind trying somewhere new.

Webbs Ash is a possibilty. Anyone done there?

we have camped in bottom webbs ash and have got there between 10 and 11 the last few years and pitched 6 0r so tents but usually full within the next hour or so , the only downside is noise from the beat hotel until 3 am but nothing that alcohol and ear plugs wont sort , and dont camp too near to the wild life reserve fence a few people seem to like to use it as a toilet unfortunatly instead of walking 100m or so to the nearest ones .

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I camped in Pylon last year and Bushy the year before. Both were good, both similar in terms of distance from the action (ie quite a long way from all the stages apart from John Peel and Silver Hayes, which are the two I spend least time at, annoyingly!). I don't mind too much the long walk back after a night out though, helps tire you out for bed. If you come into Gate A it's much better than trudging all the way across the site with all your stuff on a Monday morning - have done that a few times when camped in Dairy and it's a killer.

I don't really spend any time at my tent, apart from sleep, so just want somewhere relatively quiet and not too crowded - Pylon probably slightly better as marginally closer to stuff. My idea of hell would be camping in the middle of somewhere like Pennards, where it's noisy all the time and the tents are packed in like sardines! Especially next to a footpath or the toilets. *shudder* :wacko:

The only thing I really don't like about them (apart from having to walk through Silver Hayes when it's muddy) is the lack of decent food options for breakfast - I like the food in the Avalon and Greenfields areas and it's SO far to walk in the morning. All the food stalls around the north end of the site seems to be fast food type stuff.

Cheers so much for the detailed response!:) I'm like you, I need my sleep and don't intend to spend too much time there so this sounds ideal.

I'm crap with maps but it looked to me like Bushy was closer to the action than Pylon? Is this wrong? We will be walking from Gate A so I think we'll hit Pylon first so this would save us some hassle.

Which one is the one with the flushing loos? Bushy? Not a deal breaker just a little bonus to consider!

Also I know what you mean about breakfast. Breakfast Club in Darble was an albeit expensive lifesaver but I really missed my Park breakfasts last year :(

Which one is the one with the flushing loos? Bushy? Not a deal breaker just a little bonus to consider!

Unless there is another set on site, the flushing toilets are up by Big Ground.

Arriving that time do you get directed to the gate b or gate c East car parks? We usually arrive at about 8am and get directed to East 7 or 8 for gate c through the camper van fields. We always camp in Kidney Mead. Was a bit worried that if we arrive a bit earlier at 7am we might get parked up by B gate. We are meeting friends by gate c so don't want the trek over and I think the queues are longer at B?

I think it's pot luck really - I've arrived at around 8am in the East Car parks the last 4 years & twice been parked near C & twice at B. Not sure if the queues are longer at B than C, but it feels that way, I think because the route in is narrower so feels like you're stuck behind people more - the pathway through to C is wider so it feels like you keep moving more whereas B feels like a pain in the arse because there's a couple of roads to cross so there's stewards stopping the flow of people every few minutes at those points to let traffic pass.

I think people are getting a bit too worked up about camping space now. I've turned up on Thursday evening and got a good position before now in years when there was less space and more fence jumpers. Stop worrying about where you'll camp, bring less shit with you and and you'll have a great time.

No field is all that, it's all about your neighbours. Stop stressing.

we've only ever done big ground - nice view of the site and can see the Tor in good weather. not too far to walk from gates b and c and reasonably quiet at night with no main late night stages nearby. also close to acoustic and cider bus 2 areas i frequent

we have camped in bottom webbs ash and have got there between 10 and 11 the last few years and pitched 6 0r so tents but usually full within the next hour or so , the only downside is noise from the beat hotel until 3 am but nothing that alcohol and ear plugs wont sort , and dont camp too near to the wild life reserve fence a few people seem to like to use it as a toilet unfortunatly instead of walking 100m or so to the nearest ones .

Cheers for that.

Cheers so much for the detailed response! :) I'm like you, I need my sleep and don't intend to spend too much time there so this sounds ideal.

I'm crap with maps but it looked to me like Bushy was closer to the action than Pylon? Is this wrong? We will be walking from Gate A so I think we'll hit Pylon first so this would save us some hassle.

Also I know what you mean about breakfast. Breakfast Club in Darble was an albeit expensive lifesaver but I really missed my Park breakfasts last year :(

Pylon is further out towards gate A than Bushy, but it may have quicker access to JP... Wheras Bushy gets you on the main path to Other/Park etc quicker if you camp nearer to the Silver Hayes entrance.
I've done Bushy both times and it suits me fine. Easy to get from/to the coaches, and enough space to get a decent sized camp set up when arriving on the Thursday afternoon. And a good night's sleep! The only negative for me was the shortage of toilets (those bloody morning queues!), but it seems like they've added a 2nd block this year (right where we usually camp!).

Pylon is further out towards gate A than Bushy, but it may have quicker access to JP... Wheras Bushy gets you on the main path to Other/Park etc quicker if you camp nearer to the Silver Hayes entrance.

I've done Bushy both times and it suits me fine. Easy to get from/to the coaches, and enough space to get a decent sized camp set up when arriving on the Thursday afternoon. And a good night's sleep! The only negative for me was the shortage of toilets (those bloody morning queues!), but it seems like they've added a 2nd block this year (right where we usually camp!).

Perfect thank you :)

Basically what I wanted to hear!

Shows how rammed it gets in some fields, also shows that the extended area on Row Mead was there last year, despite some people claiming otherwise :P

I can't believe how empty the western side family camping looks, I thought it was filling up faster than ever these days based on reports on this site.

I think people are getting a bit too worked up about camping space now. I've turned up on Thursday evening and got a good position before now in years when there was less space and more fence jumpers. Stop worrying about where you'll camp, bring less shit with you and and you'll have a great time.

No field is all that, it's all about your neighbours. Stop stressing.

Well said. Everywhere has it's pros and cons but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Same with clashes and secret gigs and all the other things people worry about. Don't worry about what you MIGHT be missing out on elsewhere and enjoy wherever you are or whatever you are doing. It'll almost definitely be putting a big smile on your face regardless.

Go out, explore and discover Glastonbury for yourself. Don't just base your experience on the advice of strangers no matter how experienced or well meaning they may be.

This might be useful for you guys: I was able to update glastomap last night with an aerial shot taken at last year's festival. The photo was taken around 8/9 AM on the Thursday and could be a good guide as to which areas still have space at that time.

http://glastomap.com

thanks!

i didn't think there'd still be space like that at the back of Oxlyers!

Loved camping in Lime Kiln last year, quiet so got a good nights sleep, loads of space around the tent to chill n chat in the morning. Its a long walk so once we were out for the day that was it. But it is hard tracks all the way back so no trudging through mud or shuffling along metal tracks following the herd. For that reason it took us less time to get back than the year before when we were in Pylon and had to go back through silver Hayes every night.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be useful for you guys: I was able to update glastomap last night with an aerial shot taken at last year's festival. The photo was taken around 8/9 AM on the Thursday and could be a good guide as to which areas still have space at that time.

http://glastomap.com

Ah that's brilliant thank you!

Working out my oxylers route as we talk :)