BEST AND WORST CAMPING SPOTS

TNT1970

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Park was ok last year but we only ended up there because Dairy was full. We were at the bottom of the hill and it was still a bit far from everywhere except the Park and even then that was a ten minute walk - if you could get straight through into the top field it would be perfect.

Based on every year I've been you'll still get a group in on midday Thursday if you don't mind being near the green fence.

Last year, loads of green in there...

I got very confused by this photo until I realised it's "upside down" with the pyramid stage at the bottom and the other stage at the top. Thanks for that!

Couple of questions...

Aiming to camp back towards the railway line after last year, what is Park Home like now? Camped there prior to Arcadia's arrival, but does it fill up much quicker? I'm assuming it does. Secondly, if that's a no go what is the noise at Oxlyers like? Part of me thinks the noise from Other in the morning/Silver Hayes at night wouldn't be particularly fun - especially at the part of the field nearest to the stages.

Done Pennards before too, and may even end up in there if we are there early enough - early morning coach should see us there before gates open fingers crossed.

Based on every year I've been you'll still get a group in on midday Thursday if you don't mind being near the green fence.

Last year, loads of green in there...

23E2515D00000578-0-image-a-61_1418072822

Is there any reason why the bottom right corner of Oxlyers has so much free space? Poor ground etc

Is there any reason why the bottom right corner of Oxlyers has so much free space? Poor ground etc

Think the proper bottom right part isn't general camping. The bit by the fence tends to stay quite empty, its hard to see from the path and i think the sewage treatment is done behind it....

It's empty because everyone who doesn't know about that spot just looks at the field from the path and thinks it's full.

Plus it's can smell a bit and anyone thinking of getting an early night is kept up by silver Hayes

This will be my 5 year in that spot and it's brilliant

Probably 90% full by late morning weds. If it a small tent then could probably find somewhere in the middle.

Hmm, we're hoping to be arriving around 8/9ish so may chance our luck. Pylon will likely be our fallback so no harm in trying as it shouldn't fill up there for a while.

I'm still undecided about where to camp. I'm tempted just to go with last year's choice (Pennards, about 2/3 of the way up), simply because of location. From there it's very easy to get to Other, Glade is right on your doorstep and West Holts is a short walk away, plus the Green/Healing fields are right next door and the SE corner is easily accessible. It's a bit of a trek to Pyramid, but there are only a couple of artists I want to see on that stage so that's not a bother. Yes Pennards is incredibly crowded but I don't mind that as long as I'm just a couple of tents in from a walkway (the green walkway not the main one). The big gamble is your neighbours but my tactic last year was just to kind of stand around a bit and shuffle away from large rowdy groups. I spotted a few others doing the same and assumed they'd be a safe bet. I had no trouble.

3rd time lucky...

Quite quickly - certainly difficult already by 11am. Earliest we've managed to arrive at Big Ground was 9am and there was quite a lot of space but filling very fast. Latest was about 11 and luckily there was people there waiting trying to hold a pitch space as we had an 8-man with us for everyone. Last year my guess would be about 10am and and we had a smaller tent so we were fine, got a really good spot - maybe would have had to venture a bit further towards the middle otherwise.

It's been said you'll squeeze a small two-man anywhere on later days if you're determined enough - still true here but might need some cooperation.

Saving grace is that its nearest gate ( B ) is really slow to get through. The 9am was coming through gate C, and I think we got to the car park later that year :)

Edited by p.pete

I'm getting the feeling my pitch will be determined by A what time I arrive (around 7pm wed); B the conditions (if it's raining hello Darble!); C the all important site map at the info point at Gate A and how heavy my pack is.

Was thinking of South Park this year but am now considering Lime Kiln, Hitchin Hill if Michaels Mead is full. However given the mostly positive feedback re Pylon and Bushy I do not think I'll be unhappy in either of those locations either.

Just cannot wait to get pitched up!

FWIW i've previously camped in Wicket, Park Home and Michael's Mead/Top Webb Ash all great areas in my view.

I'm getting the feeling my pitch will be determined by A what time I arrive (around 7pm wed); B the conditions (if it's raining hello Darble!); C the all important site map at the info point at Gate A and how heavy my pack is.

Was thinking of South Park this year but am now considering Lime Kiln, Hitchin Hill if Michaels Mead is full. However given the mostly positive feedback re Pylon and Bushy I do not think I'll be unhappy in either of those locations either.

Just cannot wait to get pitched up!

FWIW i've previously camped in Wicket, Park Home and Michael's Mead/Top Webb Ash all great areas in my view.

Great viw up on Lime Kiln but its quite a slope on most of it and its a long walk to the nearest bogs too!

In 2011 I did South Park 2 - great views, close to the Park (and I saw a fair few acts at the Park that year so really quite convenient) and with the rain/mud as bad as it was, it was nice to be on a hill. That being said, the main path up the hill became unusable on the Friday/Saturday morning because the mud was so bad. Bit of a trek to some of the stages but I guess everywhere you camp is going to be a bit of a trek.

In 2013 I did Dairy Ground - nice atmosphere. Camped quite close to the main path/food/supermarket etc which turned out to be a blessing, and the field was buzzy enough, but also quite chilled. I could come back to my tent at 2/3am and actually get some sleep. I'd recommend it, but with Arcadia having moved to the field next door I'm not sure how chilled it is now.

In 2014 I did Pennards - arrived on a coach late on Wednesday, mates had already set up camp in Pennards (it was their first time and they gravitated towards it because they'd been told it was the best place to go) and managed to squeeze into some space right next to the toilets, of all places. Smell wasn't great on the first day, but being next to the urinals was ultimately pretty convenient. Ultimately didn't get a lot of sleep (I was ill Saturday and Sunday night) and pretty much hated it. I'm sure it's great if you don't want to sleep at sensible hours (which I wasn't originally planning on doing) but I prefer camping somewhere a bit more relaxed.

Want to try somewhere like Pylon or Woodsies this year for proximity to John Peel, Silver Hayes, Beat Hotel etc. And when I walked through Darble/Pylon etc. after arriving via coach at around 6pm last year they were still pretty empty.

Hi! After some advise from more experienced campers ... first time in a tent this year (fortunately managed to jump in a friend's campervan last year). Due to work constraints we can't get there until Thursday so planning on a very early drive down from London first thing Thursday morning. Keen on a half decent spot on site, not too rowdy (would like to get some sleep) and don't mind a bit of a walk. Also appreciate a nice view! Which direction should we lug our gear? Thanks!

Hi! After some advise from more experienced campers ... first time in a tent this year (fortunately managed to jump in a friend's campervan last year). Due to work constraints we can't get there until Thursday so planning on a very early drive down from London first thing Thursday morning. Keen on a half decent spot on site, not too rowdy (would like to get some sleep) and don't mind a bit of a walk. Also appreciate a nice view! Which direction should we lug our gear? Thanks!

I can't speak for Thursday, but I arrived very late on Wednesday last year and I found the areas closest to the coach depot to be particularly empty (Darble/Pylon Ground/Rivermead etc.) so that might be worth a punt. Never camped there myself though.

I have arrived on a Thursday early-evening in the past and found a spot in Bushy / Rivermead. I'm not going to be there until about 9pm on the Thursday this year. Hopefully will be able to find a spot in the same place again.

How did you find it in general? Thinking of heading there this year as I'm getting the coach again.