BEST AND WORST CAMPING SPOTS

TNT1970

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time did you arrive to get a decent spot in Woodsies?

We arrived at 6am last year on Wednesday, camped in Woodies.We could basically camp where we wanted. When we got in it was about 5-10 % full. Id say 80-90% full by 10pm. Looked that way anyway was very drunk

I have never been fussy about camping in the 'thick of it' and always opt for something close to the gate I arrive at (partly because I want a short walk to the exit on Monday morning, my body and head hurts by that point). I've always camped in Bushy/Pylon. Aside from one year when I camped in Hitchin Ground. At a 20 degree angle, wasn't pleasant, but couldn't be bothered to move. The view was pretty good though, was our first Glastonbury and waking up with the most famous music stage in the world there whilst eating pancakes was brilliant!! Think it depends on what you're after though. I would hate camping in Oxylers because of the noise - if I'm going back to camp, I am going to sleep!

For me

BEST : Row Mead ... Fantastic for the views of the Pyramid, great for newbies and a place where you can easily navigate to & from.

WORST : Wickets .. Lovely campsite, quiet too but an absolute killer for me as I like to spend the night on the South/East part of the site and Wickets is in the North/West side. Hike & a half each morning and night, no thanks! I think it's family camping only now.

Nowadays I prefer to camp as close to the south side of the site as I can now, that's where the nighlife is .... I'm a night-owl. :wink:

We've always camped in Dairy, have always enjoyed it there, good spot for getting to Silver Hayes/Park/Stone Circle and JP. This will be my first time since 2011 so interested to see how it's changed since Arcadia has now moved.

Pretty much this, I never want to camp anywhere else. It's the perfect location for me, particularly as I spend a large amount of time at The Park. Arcadia wasn't even that disruptive last year.

P.S Camping by the Pyramid is shit unless you're one of those chair w*nkers.

Edited by zero000

Dairy would be fine if it wasn't for the residents shitting outside their tents. Stinks the place out....

Why in the name of Allah would someone do that!!! At least shit in a bag, I'd be tempted to push someone over if I saw them doing that.

started off in the 90's camping in cockhill meadow family camping.... a little field on its own in the top corner, think its now sealed off for performers. then a couple of years on big ground, then couple of years in dragon field and for the last 5 or 6..7? who know they all blend into one after a while :D we've now settled in Row Mead...usually about half a dozen tents behind the lock ups. great views. daughter usually goes down tues night and gets us a good spot...for the price of a slab of cider...well worth it.

P.S Camping by the Pyramid is shit unless you're one of those chair w*nkers.

I'm no chair w*nker! :fuck:

I think it's a great spot if you're bringing someone who has never been to the festival before, It was great for me to grab my gear from the tent if I'm watching any of the Pyramid acts, Plus I used to like to chill on the Pyramid field after the acts.

As each year passes, I spend less time at the Pyramid so It makes sense to camp close to where you spend most of your time. For newbies though I think it's an great spot.

+1 for setting up camp next to a path so you don't have to find your tent. The trick is to camp next to a path that's hardly used, those that camp up on the main path to the Park in PHG must get very little peace. Also seen quite a few on the path getting full searches by security last year.

The alternative is to camp near the fence (if the field has that of course) - at night head straight to the fence and then follow it round until you get to your tent. Easy (and much quieter than being on a path). Done it the last few years now - works a treat

Spent 5 years at Pennards and it was great. Lively atmos and not once did we have shitty neighbours or get robbed. It's a lovely walk through the green fields & stone circle on way back after SE corner too. Get there early though.

Tried Oxlyers last year and found it quite good. We never pitch near walkways and there's quite a bit of space compared to Pennards. It's super easy to nip back at 6pm to top up on booze, have a mini chill and get more layers.

If you arrive by bus I'm guessing you can walk past cycling camp through to woodsies that way? On the aireal map woodsies looks pretty empty or Are you not allowed to camp towards the left? We usually stay in pylon but wouldn't mind somewhere different!

The half empty bit on the left of Woodsies is backstage John Peel camping.

I'm thinking oxylers for my first G this year arriving on the 0545 coach from brum so estimating a 10 am arrival. Hopefully will be room where my first choice is.

Are the people who update you on where's full dotted round in lots of areas as I assume to trek to a field and find its full must be quite annoying, I'd rather know for sure I can camp there first than get there and find I can't. If you catch my drift

I'm thinking oxylers for my first G this year arriving on the 0545 coach from brum so estimating a 10 am arrival. Hopefully will be room where my first choice is.

Are the people who update you on where's full dotted round in lots of areas as I assume to trek to a field and find its full must be quite annoying, I'd rather know for sure I can camp there first than get there and find I can't. If you catch my drift

There will be stewards by the gates and campsite stewards in most (maybe all?) camping fields with a site map which will have info on which areas are full / how much space there is.

I used to camp in Spring Ground. Now it's reserved for disabled folks, next best is Hitchin Hill. Good central location with Loulou's in close proximity. But a bit of a hill to walk up at the end of the night. Still, brilliant location in a rain apocalypse (2005).

It can depend on a lot of things can't it?.

Once I was camped in one of my my favourite fields, but my companions chose a not brilliant spot in said field. I did try to warn them but experience was outnumbered, outshouted and out-egoed. We got an unnecessary stream of "water" passing our tents every night (and too close to a number of other "paths"), but it was still a good; central place to camp.

Same area another year, better spot but twatty neighbours. Still a good place to camp.

Other times it's been a too far away spot, pain in the arse to return early evening for restocks/warmer clothes etc., but beautiful people near us and nice and quiet to camp, but also the only year I had a tent intruder.

Maybe you get what you get when you get there? It all balances?

It's become part of the experience for me.

I've always liked Hitchin Hill, always seems reasonably quiet when you want to get your head down, which is important for me, for 4 hours at least. I can understand that people might not fancy the hill at 3am after a full day's raging though.

Worst was Dairy Ground in 09, pitched next to a hedge "downstream" from a tap. By Saturday morning our tent had running water underneath it and was surrounded by six inches of mud all around. But that was more choice of pitch rather than the field itself.

That's closely followed by the family camping in Cockmill Meadow (I think). Nice and quiet but forget lying in after 7:30am when all the kids and families wake up to make breakfast and yap.

It can depend on a lot of things can't it?.

This has been my experience too. I've camped in various locations around the festival now, there's no rhyme nor reason to whether you have good neighbours (if anything the most popular fields tend to attract the most selfish people, in my experience, who are territorial and not the friendly types).

I say pitch up wherever and roll the dice.