Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Probably jumping to conclusions here but she doesn't seem like the kind of person to be bothered about something like Glastonbury, if she was going to do a big outdoor show then Michael Eavis and one of his famous dossiers is unlikely to be more attractive to her than a BST show for more money that panders to her needs. 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably jumping to conclusions here but she doesn't seem like the kind of person to be bothered about something like Glastonbury, if she was going to do a big outdoor show then Michael Eavis and one of his famous dossiers is unlikely to be more attractive to her than a BST show for more money that panders to her needs. 

aye but she's not stupid - surely she can see the benefits of playing Glastonbury, having the set aired on the BBC and in turn, having her seven month old album shoot back up the charts to number one again

I thought this earlier. Can imagine her to make a point of how not bothered she is about Glastonbury and festivals by saying something in an interview with lots of swear words to highlight how not-like-the-average-pop-star she is. 

aye but she's not stupid - surely she can see the benefits of playing Glastonbury, having the set aired on the BBC and in turn, having her seven month old album shoot back up the charts to number one again

The much-loved 'BBC coverage' reason won't be a big deal, that album will probably still be in the charts in June anyway. It may benefit slightly but not enough to impress as much as people think it does.

BBC element would be pretty huge for Adele in particular, certain to draw a massive audience on that. Obviously she doesn't need the publicity but, well, I can't hurt.

But it won't be a deal-breaker for her like people assume it is for others. Maybe in two or three albums time and she's struggling, she can roll out the best of album and the Sunday legend slot can be there to lap that shit up.

I saw Fleetwood Mac at the o2, and it was one of the most disappointingly dull gigs I've ever been to. I actually felt like the size of the arena swamped them, as they're not the most dynamic of performers... so this will be just the same, if not worse, at Glastonbury. I think, despite their huge popularity, they'd be much better in an intimate setting.

I saw them at the o2 too and went into it thinking it was going to be hideous, but I loved it! The only song that sounded crap was go your own way, and that dreadful drum solo section was excruciating to witness.

The rest though? Ace! Didnt realise buckingham was such a good guitarist.

really want to actually see a headliner on the Pyramid in 2016, closest we got this year was Libs/Weller sub...

100% would not be there for Coldplay, Foos AC-DC etc but would stick around for Adele. 

If money was the sticking point for Fleetwood Mac this year whats changed for them to be in discussion again?

I saw them at the o2 too and went into it thinking it was going to be hideous, but I loved it! The only song that sounded crap was go your own way, and that dreadful drum solo section was excruciating to witness.

The rest though? Ace! Didnt realise buckingham was such a good guitarist.

Musically I thought they were great, but something was missing. Hmmm, out of interest, where were you sat?

really want to actually see a headliner on the Pyramid in 2016, closest we got this year was Libs/Weller sub...

100% would not be there for Coldplay, Foos AC-DC etc but would stick around for Adele. 

If money was the sticking point for Fleetwood Mac this year whats changed for them to be in discussion again?

Don't think they'll do it personally but presumably not having IOW waving cash at them this time round ;P

She only needs to do one song at one of the many award ceremonies in between the album's release and the summer to have an even greater impact than a Glastonbury set.

Would Adele sub to the Mac? Takes the headliner pressure off of her while allowing her to sub to 'legendary' rather that contemporary act (which she's too popular to do).

What an overrated mundane night of shitty entertainement that'd be. And the price tag would be horrendous.

With regards to the Mac. Mick Fleetwood is a joke with his meet and greet. $750 is very unhealthy, for the fan from a financial point of view, and from also from a self actualisation point of view it's rediculous and goes against the values of Glastonbury Festival.

Adele seems to be a regular punter at G making an effort to attend with her cronies most years. If any major festical was ever going to be able to put her on as a headliner, itd be glastonbury. I think it makes perfext sense for her to do it both personally and financially. Its whether or not shes got the minerals to take it on.

The much-loved 'BBC coverage' reason won't be a big deal, that album will probably still be in the charts in June anyway. It may benefit slightly but not enough to impress as much as people think it does.

I've always wondered how albums manage to stay at the top of the charts for so long. Who's still buying it six months later? And in such numbers?

I've always wondered how albums manage to stay at the top of the charts for so long. Who's still buying it six months later? And in such numbers?

hasn't Sam Smith just broke the Guinness record for most weeks spent in the top ten consecutively*? so the type of people who buy Sam Smith albums (undoubtedly the same people who buy Adele albums as well)

*oh wait it was just for a debut album

Edited by FloorFiller

The numbers don't have to be that great to remain at or near the top, there just needs to be a steady stream of people being newly-exposed to or newly-motivated to buy the music. Given the massive exposure the music gets and the fact that once you break into the 'non-music fan' demographic the are people who only buy records once a twice a year it can be drawn out. Not everyone rushes out to buy music when they first hear it, and once it reaches a certain level it's bound to continue just by the fact it's constantly being shoved in everyone's face ("what shall I get Auntie Jackie for her birthday? Fuck it, this seems to be popular").

Edited by mrtourette

The numbers don't have to be that great to remain at or near the top, there just needs to be a steady stream of people being newly-exposed to or newly-motivated to buy the music. Given the massive exposure the music gets and the fact that once you break into the 'non-music fan' demographic the are people who only buy records once a twice a year it can be drawn out. Not everyone rushes out to buy music when they first hear it, and once it reaches a certain level it's bound to continue just by the fact it's constantly being shoved in everyone's face ("what shall I get Auntie Jackie for her birthday? Fuck it, this seems to be popular").

To be fair Auntie Jackie really does have shit taste in music.

Elton John??? the below is from his web site:

Elton and the band have announced three outdoor shows in the UK for June 2016.

• Friday June 10 – Lincoln Showground, Lincoln, UK
  • Saturday, June 11 – Leicestershire County Cricket Club, Leicester, UK
  • Sunday, June 19 – Westpoint Exeter, Exeter, UK

Musically I thought they were great, but something was missing. Hmmm, out of interest, where were you sat?

up in the cheap seats right at the top, but 2 rows from the front so were pretty good seats really.

They did play the o2 loads of times though didnt they? Perhaps I could them on a good night, and you a bad. I saw them on the monday before glastonbury (I think)