Other Stage Friday Special Guests

tom22

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why not? Its got he best sound on the festival and he's got the tunes for it.

I think he would strive for playing somewhere smaller, more to a crowd that's there to see him, rather than just people there to be at the pyramid, his sound could be lost in the pyramid

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Ezra would be great on the Pyramid, he's got the tunes, the showmanship, the charisma. That would be a good booking all round, I think.

I've never managed to get into his music, its all a bit bland for me. 

On paper he seems like someone I would really like but I just can't no matter how hard I try.

Edited by AdamWillingham

13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If he plays well, as he probably would, I don't see why he'd struggle.  Hardly anyone ever dies on their arse on the Pyramid. The crowd there's way broader minded than a lot of folk seem to suppose.

I became a daytime Pyramid convert last year. Mary J Blige, Patti Smith, Songhoy Blues, Alabama Shakes, all a good time. I now think if Sufjan gets an hour on The Pyramid in the sunshine, third on or something like that, that'd be the best way to see him at Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Didn't see Mary but the other three were up there with the best of the best. fucking nailed it the lot of them. Add to that war on drugs and Jupiter okwess from the last couple of years and it becomes hard to argue the old favourite 'wasted on pyramid afternoon' line. Long gone are the Laura marling/Paul Simon type arguments. These days if it don't work at three o clock on the pyramid, it's your fault not the stage's matey boy. 

I've just looked back over past line-ups and I'm quite embarrassed to discover that prior to 2015, I've only ever seen headliners, subs and legends on the Pyramid. I was really basing my dislike of the daytime Pyramid of horrible times had at subs, which carried over to last year as well.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

To be fair though I've seen some daytime Pyramid stinkers a few years ago. But it was more to do with crowd pissing me off and if I'd just gone in front of barrier it'd probably have been fine. But nowadays it's fine everywhere

Aha, I've remembered where my hatred of Pyramid daytime comes from, Haim 2013. Dislike of the band hadn't really ingrained at that time, but Florence came through the crowd, with her entourage physically shoving unsuspecting people out of the way so she could dance along unhindered by the hordes of filthy ingrates. Because Flo just really gets the vibe of Glastonbury and what the place is all about, you know?

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Thinking about the daytime stuff is weirdly more exciting than speculating on your headliners and subs. You're much more likely to sample something new and can end up anywhere. Plus as mntioned, if an a must-see act is on early then that's one out of your eventual clash hell.

Yeah, i agree with this, a good 3 or 4pm slot is one of the most memorable things about the festival. I've had enough come nightfall. Love the midafternoon 45 min set. Some of my favourite performances ever.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, i agree with this, a good 3 or 4pm slot is one of the most memorable things about the festival. I've had enough come nightfall. Love the midafternoon 45 min set. Some of my favourite performances ever.

Unless its someone I either utterly adore or a Patti Smith / L. Cohen type bone fide legend, a taut, intense 45 munute set always suits me just fine, especially if it's someone I'm new to.

29 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Unless its someone I either utterly adore or a Patti Smith / L. Cohen type bone fide legend, a taut, intense 45 munute set always suits me just fine, especially if it's someone I'm new to.

Yep, get on stage, play your best 45 mins of material, then sod off.

I've never fogiven Robert Smith for making me suffer 2hr45 of similar plodding dirge before knocking it out the park with the final thrilling 15 minute encore.

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yep, get on stage, play your best 45 mins of material, then sod off.

I've never fogiven Robert Smith for making me suffer 2hr45 of similar plodding dirge before knocking it out the park with the final thrilling 15 minute encore.

2hrs 45mins does not constitute a 'best of set', I don't give a fuck who's playing...

...prepares to be cut down mercilessly.

Saw on the RandL thread that YM@6 are rumoured to be at glasto this year....

if BMTH don't, could they headline? They've had a number one album, headlined Wembley, headlined the o2 (with all time low) - would be an alternative to any of the rumoured pyramid headliners.

Or could we have a top two on one night of YM@6 then BMTH headline?