Coachella

mccdyl001

I had a decent look at potentially going a few years back, when i turned 40 - i was going to be in California/west coast of the US and thought it would be a good thing to do, but looking more in depth at tickets, specific accommodation, distances and practicalities and the sheer ball-ache of it all, i ended up sacking off the whole shebang.

As in the whole shebang, the US and coachella too 😄  Looking at heading over for the 2026 world cup instead, only seven years later than originally planned 

47 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

and i can get my Do Lab on, whatever in the name of blue fuck that means 😄

I can't speak for everyone but there is nothing I love more than getting my Do Lab on during my two hour queues in the very clean merch tent.

Last time I went to Glastonbury I could have sworn I saw cans of beer on the floor when walking about. You wouldn't get that with designated drinking zones I'll tell you that for free haters

In late summer of 2019 I was at a concert here in NYC and I had my Glasto canvas bag with me.  This guy struck up a conversation with me, asking if I had gone, or just had the bag.  He had gone that year also, it was his first glasto, and he'd had a wonderful time. 

Not a lot of Americans have ever randomly talked to me about the festival, so this was keen to continue the conversation.  We talked for about a half hour about festivals in general, and during most of our talk, I talked a lot of shit about Coachella and how I would likely never go again.  I had no filter, I really went for it - but I was excited because not a lot of folks in the states really get how strikingly different the two experiences are.  

At the end of our conversation, he asked what I do for a living and i told him. I asked him what he did, and he sheepishly said that he helps put on Coachella. 

I felt embarrassed because I had basically said over and over again that his festival was shit and no one should ever go. And he sat there and nodded his head, basically just taking in all my criticisms. I didn't walk any of them back though.  Maybe he took some of it to heart. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

In late summer of 2019 I was at a concert here in NYC and I had my Glasto canvas bag with me.  This guy struck up a conversation with me, asking if I had gone, or just had the bag.  He had gone that year also, it was his first glasto, and he'd had a wonderful time. 

Not a lot of Americans have ever randomly talked to me about the festival, so this was keen to continue the conversation.  We talked for about a half hour about festivals in general, and during most of our talk, I talked a lot of shit about Coachella and how I would likely never go again.  I had no filter, I really went for it - but I was excited because not a lot of folks in the states really get how strikingly different the two experiences are.  

At the end of our conversation, he asked what I do for a living and i told him. I asked him what he did, and he sheepishly said that he helps put on Coachella. 

I felt embarrassed because I had basically said over and over again that his festival was shit and no one should ever go. And he sat there and nodded his head, basically just taking in all my criticisms. I didn't walk any of them back though.  Maybe he took some of it to heart. 

i was expecting the punchline of he told me his name was supre 

2 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Good effort mate. Good anecdote. Made me chuckle and fair play for standing by your observations.

I ain't been to Coachella and am never likely to which is irrelevant in grand scheme of things but it is reassuring to recognise that (arguably) the world's best festival is so close to home.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Wow. Its not my cup of tea but with the whole of America you would have thought it would at least sell out

Yeah, that's quite a startling fact. It's meant to be the primo festival in the US and can't even sell out? With 340 million people in the country and the three nearest states totalling 50m alone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Wow. Its not my cup of tea but with the whole of America you would have thought it would at least sell out

Damn I hadn't realized it didnt sell out.  

I think the two weekend thing is dumb, personally. It's a cash grab for the promoter, and prohibits musicians from hitting other california markets on their tour.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

Damn I hadn't realized it didnt sell out.  

I think the two weekend thing is dumb, personally. It's a cash grab for the promoter, and prohibits musicians from hitting other california markets on their tour.  

If its grabbing cash you like I know just the place where you can go out and grab some in 100 different locations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

the noise when they inevitably brought out Phoebe 🤯

great set

Saw your post and decided to check them out for a minute - ended up watching the whole set!  Great performance - they were one of the acts that I would love to have had at Glastonbury this year.  Maybe next year

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Saw your post and decided to check them out for a minute - ended up watching the whole set!  Great performance - they were one of the acts that I would love to have had at Glastonbury this year.  Maybe next year

Yeah really impressive. Didn’t realise how many of their songs I actually knew. Hopefully Boygenius will pop up at the farm next year and bring Muna along with them. 

waiting for Wet Leg now. No idea who the French DJ is they’ve put on in the meantime but he’s having a ball 😂

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy