Download 2016

Hart Attack

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody paying heed to the ACDC fans website listing then?

Nah. Even on the website it says that they "have heard AC/DC is possible for Download" which doesn't really say a lot, when you think about it.

Maiden have also been announced for the Friday of Download Paris. Zegut has reiterated that Rammstein are playing the Sunday in Paris and now added that they're doing Pinkpop on the Saturday.

I think Download will work backwards through the weekend and Sabbath will be announced tomorrow for UK, leaving Rammstein to be announced for all their European festivals on Wednesday.

Edited by dentalplan

Agreed, Rammstein are the best out of all the rumours, miles better than BMTH, Maiden and Sabbath. 

Only thing that might scupper Rammstein for the UK is if they are doing pinkpop saturday and Download Paris Sunday, is it logistically possible for rammstein to do 3 dates in different countries consequetively? I dont think they've ever done that considering they have about 8 trucks worth of pyro ( this isnt an over exageration) that they have to drive show to show. Two dates especially on the mainland perhaps back to back at a push imo.

aye both of those points above put doubt on it being Rammstein imo - three nights on the trot on different islands seems a bit of a push, and i know that Download has a limited pool of headliners but rebooking two that have already played the festival side-by-side just a couple of years ago is pretty fucking weak. maybe these AC/DC rumours have something to them, or it's somebody else entirely

Definitely agree that they are doing nothing to help broaden their headliner pool. (Possibly) booking Maiden, Sabbath and Rammstein really isn't forward thinking at all. BMTH, Lamb of God, even BFMV should all have been given the chance. 

If Michael Evis is worried about the headliner pool for Glastonbury, Andy Copping should REALLY be getting concerned. Hard to see the festival being active in 10 years time if they continue down this path. 

Agreed, Rammstein are the best out of all the rumours, miles better than BMTH, Maiden and Sabbath. 

Only thing that might scupper Rammstein for the UK is if they are doing pinkpop saturday and Download Paris Sunday, is it logistically possible for rammstein to do 3 dates in different countries consequetively? I dont think they've ever done that considering they have about 8 trucks worth of pyro ( this isnt an over exageration) that they have to drive show to show. Two dates especially on the mainland perhaps back to back at a push imo.

Good point. But did you read that thing one of the guys said about "small trucks" while looking at the European festival websites? It didn't make sense and I thought Google translate was acting up as always but now you mention that then maybe it's a scaled down production because they've already done the big tour for their last album or whatever.

Seems bonkers to me that Download would book Rammstein for France and not tie them in for UK but I suppose there's not actually a lot linking Rammstein with UK when you step back and look at it. It'll probably become clear even before Wednesday anyway.

I assumed Flake meant a tour of festivals means less trucks so is logistically easier than a tour of their own dates or a mix so its a festival only run to minimise on that, but i know that certainly doesn't mean its easy.  Soni 2010 had them drive over 8 trucks of pyro but at least for a festival they just need the extras and not their own entire setup like arena shows would require. 

I still don't think that'd allow for 3 dates in a row, and if they were keeping it 'simple' and being a band that can do most mainstream euro fests there'd be no need to pack the dates so closely and they dont really need Download as they can have a day off instead then make up for it by doing any other EU festival.

Or they're compensated to play 3 dates in a row for the extra costs the band would incur to make that work? 

perhaps, but then there's still the matter of Maiden and Rammstein having already done it in the same year in 2013. maybe not that much of an issue, but it certainly looks weak on paper. has Download's headliner pool really run so dry that they're just churning out the same top three every couple of years, even now that Sonisphere is seemingly dead in the water?

Sonisphere died when it tried something different to booking the heavyweights. :P

ha, good point. don't get me wrong, Rammstein would still be a mega booking - seems to be widely regarded as one of the best Download headliners, and if they're doing the Friday i'm very tempted to try and go myself - but if any other festival pulled this shit people would go mental

ha, good point. don't get me wrong, Rammstein would still be a mega booking - seems to be widely regarded as one of the best Download headliners, and if they're doing the Friday i'm very tempted to try and go myself - but if any other festival pulled this shit people would go mental

I think the problem is moreso with a sizeable portion of rock and metal fans than the festival. It's going to be same right across Europe; Graspop just announced two 2014 headliners alongside two 2013 headliners (one's subbing) for next year. If any one of the big rock and metal festivals decided it wouldn't go for the same old then the others that will book the same old will scoop up a lot of the customers from the one trying something new. It won't be long until they're all forced into something new so I wouldn't sweat it for now; the likes of BMTH will still get their chance.