Download 2016

Hart Attack

The problem is, although they like to think otherwise, the metal crowd is one of the most narrow minded out there. They say they want something new, download books something different, muse, avenged, fall out boy etc and ticket sales plummet, the last 2 years have had poor attendance. Stick the same old shit like maiden, metallica, slipknot, Sabbath et al and tickets fly out. 

They know their audience and with this year's set of headliners have catered to it in a big way.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps, but then there's still the matter of Maiden and Rammstein having already done it in the same year in 2013. maybe not that much of an issue, but it certainly looks weak on paper. has Download's headliner pool really run so dry that they're just churning out the same top three every couple of years, even now that Sonisphere is seemingly dead in the water?

You say this like it's only just happening, Download has been recycling the same headersnfor a long time now. I won't mention examples as it's clear.

Just noticed dental has said pretty much the same thing. Also, how do you know they didn't go after BMTH for headliners but they were unavailable? 

somehow i don't see BMTH being unavailable for their first ever major festival headline slot - they'd make it work if they were asked i reckon. he did say he didn't think they were big enough so they were probably never an option (especially if the suggested three headliners were available - why would you want to replace any of these huge established headliners with an unproven and probably pretty controversial one?). kind of going against what i said previously, but as you said, Download attendees like what they like

You say this like it's only just happening, Download has been recycling the same headersnfor a long time now. I won't mention examples as it's clear.

don't think they've ever repeated two headliners together have they? especially not in such a short period of time

somehow i don't see BMTH being unavailable for their first ever major festival headline slot - they'd make it work if they were asked i reckon. he did say he didn't think they were big enough so they were probably never an option (especially if the suggested three headliners were available - why would you want to replace any of these huge established headliners with an unproven and probably pretty controversial one?). kind of going against what i said previously, but as you said, Download attendees like what they like

don't think they've ever repeated two headliners together have they? especially not in such a short period of time

Probably not but their headers always return within 4 years, some less because the pool is small.

Unfortunately for the prediction people 2017 probably only leaves you with one headliner to guess.

Or they're compensated to play 3 dates in a row for the extra costs the band would incur to make that work? 

Oh for sure - not saying it'd be impossible but they've never done that in the past for any other festival and its not like they've got a particular affinity with Download. If they are looking for simplicity from this tour then cramming dates into one weekend is the opposite of that.  So I just think it makes it seem potentially less likely IF the pinkpop rumour and DL France is true - though certainly not impossible!

I've always wanted to give Download a go but the repetition of line-ups does put me off. Muse was a good booking for them this year, Biffy would be a good booking for them too, but having Iron Maiden/Slipknot every other year just seems boring. I know the promotion of headliners at festivals is a wide problem across the board, but when the genre pool is particularly narrow it stands out even more.

I think they'd do well to have the likes Green Day/Blink headlining, you could argue that's too close to Reading, but they seem to be going a bit more dance in recent years so maybe expanding to a bit more pop punk wouldn't do them any harm, along with the promotion of the likes of Biffy, Bring Me The Horizon, etc. They had Lostprophets headline a few years back, so those would definitely be more than worthy!

And what about Foo Fighters?

Edited by paulmuchmore

I'm still skeptical on Rammstein headlining which is a damn shame as they have been brilliant the last two timesd I've seen them. I'm placing my hope on System of a Down or Biffy being the third headliner which to be honest I would prefer either to Rammstein so this is probably wishful thinking but I would imagine both will be around.

I've always wanted to give Download a go but the repetition of line-ups does put me off. Muse was a good booking for them this year, Biffy would be a good booking for them too, but having Iron Maiden/Slipknot every other year just seems boring. I know the promotion of headliners at festivals is a wide problem across the board, but when the genre pool is particularly narrow it stands out even more.

I think they'd do well to have the likes Green Day/Blink headlining, you could argue that's too close to Reading, but they seem to be going a bit more dance in recent years so maybe expanding to a bit more pop punk wouldn't do them any harm, along with the promotion of the likes of Biffy, Bring Me The Horizon, etc. They had Lostprophets headline a few years back, so those would definitely be more than worthy!

And what about Foo Fighters?

problem is, as has been stated, that every time Download does stray from the regular formula (Feeder, My Chemical Romance, Lostprophets, Muse etc) the regulars kick off. they moan that the headliners are repeated, but be damned if they try anything new. BMTH's almost inevitable booking next year will no doubt go down like a sack of shit as well

pretty sure Download has tried for Foos multiple times but it always seems to fall through (in fact weren't they close to securing them last year but they chose to do Glastonbury instead?). i'm sure the same happens with other acts (Pearl Jam springs to mind)

The public gets what the public wants. If Sonisphere got their shit into a sock they could mop up the vary the headliner crowd. No wait, they just sit at home and moan on forums don't they? They never actually attend.

Until the big guns do actually retire, the ones that actually did the hard yards to get where they are, then when they play they'll get the crowds over the scene kiddies. The industry has changed so that super groups just aren't being made nowadays. Somebody like Royal Blood might break the mould as they seem to have very broad appeal but there's only so much you can do with 4 strings and a drum kit so their next album will need to be special to avoid fading away.

Future festivals, if the hair straightened, flushing toilet demanding, permanent selfie generation still actually tolerate being outside for more than 5 minutes, will have plenty of bands to choose from as headliners. All the crap out there will be just as good as each other.

problem is, as has been stated, that every time Download does stray from the regular formula (Feeder, My Chemical Romance, Lostprophets, Muse etc) the regulars kick off. they moan that the headliners are repeated, but be damned if they try anything new. BMTH's almost inevitable booking next year will no doubt go down like a sack of shit as well

pretty sure Download has tried for Foos multiple times but it always seems to fall through (in fact weren't they close to securing them last year but they chose to do Glastonbury instead?). i'm sure the same happens with other acts (Pearl Jam springs to mind)

Indeed. I guess as long as tickets keep selling with the same old acts, they'll keep booking them, but it's risky. Pearl Jam and Foos are definitely bands they should be aiming for, looking at other oldies maybe the likes of Bon Jovi, Van Halen?

Some interesting tweets from Andy Copping....

Edited by paulmuchmore

I'd be stunned if Foo Fighters weren't touring next year, and a bit surprised by Green Day. Maybe that was just something he said in the middle of an argument that worked better than "they said they don't want to play a metal festival". :P

Haha probably!

he's a very defensive person on Twitter by the looks of it!

I'd be stunned if Foo Fighters weren't touring next year, and a bit surprised by Green Day. Maybe that was just something he said in the middle of an argument that worked better than "they said they don't want to play a metal festival". :P

definitely how i see it - hasn't he done similar in the past when acts he's wanted to book have turned him down?

Interesting that he's said on Twitter than neither Foos nor Green Day are touring next year, we know Foos are at least doing some festivals in Europe...

i think the 'wiling to do it' part there is the kicker