Lineup 2016

Matt42

I can't see TLSP playing this year, for me they would be a Main Stage sub and with The 1975 and Imagine Dragons allegedly taking two of those slots, I don't see any room for Alex & Miles. 

As for who will be subbing Biffy/FOB, I would have gone for Enter Shikari until they tweeted more than once saying that they won't be at R&L this year. I'm going for Frank Turner now, unless they do the most amazing thing and get Weezer below them :D 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I can't see TLSP playing this year, for me they would be a Main Stage sub and with The 1975 and Imagine Dragons allegedly taking two of those slots, I don't see any room for Alex & Miles. 

As for who will be subbing Biffy/FOB, I would have gone for Enter Shikari until they tweeted more than once saying that they won't be at R&L this year. I'm going for Frank Turner now, unless they do the most amazing thing and get Weezer below them :D 

Whilst I agree with TLSP not playing based on those announced.

It's worth noting that if the headliner troubles are fairly recent, they may have been booked originally. With FOB and Biffy slotting in as an after thought thus still technically subbing slot for whomever was originally booked.

Edited by kev1664

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Frank woud be 3rd, he's not big enough for subbing. Why would stop them being the sub under Biffy/FOB with TDCC in 3rd? But I'm going Frank being an NME header myself I think.

6 minutes ago, kev1664 said:

Whilst I agree with TLSP not playing based on those announced. It's worth noting that if the headliner troubles are fairly recent they may have been booked originally with FOB and Biffy slotting in as an after thought thus still technically subbing slot for whomever was originally booked.

I'm thinking that FOB might have been a late booking too as if they were subbing a bigger act anyway then I don't see why they would be co-heading now.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Playing below co-headliners is third. 

It is in a way yes but while playing that slot is 3rd places down, it's still only subbing.....or I was under impression that it was.

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It is in a way yes but while playing that slot is 3rd places down, it's still only subbing.

The National playing below Pulp/The Strokes in 2011 was definitely a third down act rather than sub - as were Vampire Weekend in 2014

Edited by FloorFiller

Although I'm not against Biffy/FOB co-headlining (I'm very happy with Biffy), 4 of the 5 headliners this year played in 2013 too (Biffy, FOB, Foals & Disclosure) only 3 years ago. Also FOB were playing 3rd on the main stage the same day Biffy were a standalone headliner. Just seems a bit odd and will probably cause a lot of complaints from people.

(EDIT) Assuming that Biffy & FOB are coheadlining this year

OfficialPoster13.03.13_0.jpg

Edited by dylangraham

That seems dumb. Why would Biffy, well their management, agree to do that? Biffy headlined in their own right in 2013 and now they're coming back with a new album and the first thing they do is co-headline with FOB?

Unless I'm mistaken, I would have thought the anticipation of a new Biffy album and the fact they haven't played int he UK much over the last year and half would be enough to get people to the show? I would have preferred to see it as Biffy the headliner with very special guests Fall Out Boy etc. 

Just now, endswithMJ said:

That seems dumb. Why would Biffy, well their management, agree to do that? Biffy headlined in their own right in 2013 and now they're coming back with a new album and the first thing they do is co-headline with FOB?

Unless I'm mistaken, I would have thought the anticipation of a new Biffy album and the fact they haven't played int he UK much over the last year and half would be enough to get people to the show? I would have preferred to see it as Biffy the headliner with very special guests Fall Out Boy etc. 

it's no secret that, despite a few people's objections, Biffy's star isn't quite what it was a few years ago. not to say that they couldn't headline outright, but considering the top of the lineup doesn't look too strong this year maybe FR thought that if they were gonna get a headliner to return so soon, especially one who are on the verge of falling down lineups, they needed to add a little something more, aka another headliner. FOB isn't a popular choice on here, but i'm sure others will love it

2 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

agreed, they've maintained a solid reputation since 2013 so it wouldn't make sense for them to be less than the outright headliner this year.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

it's no secret that, despite a few people's objections, Biffy's star isn't quite what it was a few years ago. not to say that they couldn't headline outright, but considering the top of the lineup doesn't look too strong this year maybe FR thought that if they were gonna get a headliner to return so soon, especially one who are on the verge of falling down lineups, they needed to add a little something more, aka another headliner. FOB isn't a popular choice on here, but i'm sure others will love it

But how isn't it the same? They headlined Reading and Leeds and T in the Park all on the Opposites tour cycle. They also played arenas to tour it, with it ending at the O2...

Admittedly, their touring focus has been abroad as their star definitely isn't as big overseas but I'd find it hard to believe a band like Biffy would have fallen to co-headline status after not touring for a year because they wanted to record and album. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's probably all Biffy can get. I doubt there's a queue to have them headline.

I don't really know the deal with FOB as after their reunion seemed the optimal time to book them so to have ascended is bizarre from my POV. Imagine Dragons seem a more obvious bump up headliner to me.

I think with fall out boy, it's definitely a nostalgia thing, especially with my age group (20). Imagine Dragons are great but just don't have that appeal as seeing Patrick Stump and Pete Wentz on stage watching them play Sugar We're Going Down. 

Just now, endswithMJ said:

But how isn't it the same? They headlined Reading and Leeds and T in the Park all on the Opposites tour cycle. They also played arenas to tour it, with it ending at the O2...

Admittedly, their touring focus has been abroad as their star definitely isn't as big overseas but I'd find it hard to believe a band like Biffy would have fallen to co-headline status after not touring for a year because they wanted to record and album. 

they headlined in 2013 off the back of the success of Only Revolutions. now they're returning it's off the back of Opposites, which didn't do nearly as well commercially, and judging by their interviews their new album isn't gonna help them in that respect. add that to the fact that they only headlined three years ago, it really doesn't seem too odd that them headlining outright was thought to be weak and needed something more. chances are in a few years they'll be back to playing lower slots

they headlined in 2013 off the back of the success of Only Revolutions. now they're returning it's off the back of Opposites, which didn't do nearly as well commercially, and judging by their interviews their new album isn't gonna help them in that respect. add that to the fact that they only headlined three years ago, it really doesn't seem too odd that them headlining outright was thought to be weak and needed something more. chances are in a few years they'll be back to playing lower slots

wouldn't say they headlined in 2013 on the back of Only Revolutions. It was part of their Opposites world tour and Only Revolutions was released 4 years before

3 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

wouldn't say they headlined in 2013 on the back of Only Revolutions. It was part of their Opposites world tour and Only Revolutions was released 4 years before

but their headline slot was given because of the success Only Revolutions had gained them, which they then didn't follow up on with Opposites. they will've been offered the headline slot way before Opposites was released with the hope that it would replicate that success, which it didn't. the long gap between that and this next album hasn't done them any real favours, especially if it's going back more in the direction of their first three albums rather than the stadium filling anthems they've done to death on the past three

Neil's info may be incorrect and they're headlining outright which is fair enough, but this co-headline thing doesn't shock me all that much and i can see the sense in it

Edited by FloorFiller

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd disagree with that. They were third down in 2010, almost a year after the release of Only Revolutions. In 2013 they headlined, following the release of Opposites, and as part of their world tour.

Opposites was also a huge success for Biffy Clyro, reaching number 1 in the UK Album Chart.

They will be releasing their new album this year also. If anything, that should re-affirm their headline position on the lineup.

but their headline slot was given because of the success Only Revolutions had gained them, which they then didn't follow up on with Opposites. they will've been offered the headline slot way before Opposites was released with the hope that it would replicate that success, which it didn't. the long gap between that and this next album hasn't done them any real favours, especially if it's going back more in the direction of their first three albums rather than the stadium filling anthems they've done to death on the past three

Yeah I kinda agree with you but Opposites, although not as commercially successful as Only Revolutions, still did well. It was their first UK no.1 album and had some pretty successful singles from it. Certainly not so unsuccessful that they'd need to coheadline instead of outright headline. Also it's only been 3 years since Opposites came out. That's not much of a long gap really so I don't think that is much of a valid point. Yeah fair enough if their new album isn't so popular then there would be more justification relegating them to coheadliners, but as things are i still think they are definite strong headliners.

2 minutes ago, Biogeneric said:

I'd disagree with that. They were third down in 2010, almost a year after the release of Only Revolutions. In 2013 they headlined, following the release of Opposites, and as part of their world tour.

Opposites was also a huge success for Biffy Clyro, reaching number 1 in the UK Album Chart.

They will be releasing their new album this year also. If anything, that should re-affirm their headline position on the lineup.

i'd thumbs up this, if they didn't have this shit 3 times a day rep rule.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It went to number one so did alright. 

Them being booked to headline wasn't solely from the success of Only Revolutions. It's not coincerdence that they were announced to headline RandL two days after Opposites went to No.1. I think they must have booked them knowing the anticipation for the release.

I highly doubt Biffy's new album will be so leftfield that they get no radio play - they'll always be the odd radio-rock/ballad single to justify radio play. 

We'll be able to see how well their doing when they announce their album/tour. If you want to see a band that has well and truly lost their star....look at Bloc Party.