Lineup 2016

Matt42

3 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

Metallica are one of the biggest bands of all time, so like The Cure or RHCP or whatever that doesn't really matter. Agree on Blink though, I've never seen them as really THAT big, definitely not music legends. The Killers of Day & Age time are bigger in my opinion than Blink have ever been.

Oh yeah I'm not disputing Metallica as a headliner, just pointing out you don't need any recent hits to be booked as a headliner. I saw Augustines instead of Blink in 2014 but apparently they were crap. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Odessa said:

Oh yeah I'm not disputing Metallica as a headliner, just pointing out you don't need any recent hits to be booked as a headliner. I saw Augustines instead of Blink in 2014 but apparently they were crap. 

They were crap, but I think they are a crap band. 

RE: Metallica, they are a legendary act and are headlining on that merit. I'm just saying that, although I think The Killers would be a good booking, they aren't in that legend category that Metallica are in, so I don't think the singles thing is a fair comparison. Then again, maybe The Killers wouldn't be as big as they are if it wasn't for the Day & Age singles.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers have crossed my mind for the final headliner slot, admittedly, as they're talking about a new album and announcing shows this summer. It'd (sorry Odessa) be a really really shit booking but obviously R+L are capable of those.

I genuinely think it'd be a better booking than any of the supposed "likely" bookings we have seen rumoured on here.

3 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

They were crap, but I think they are a crap band. 

RE: Metallica, they are a legendary act and are headlining on that merit. I'm just saying that, although I think The Killers would be a good booking, they aren't in that legend category that Metallica are in, so I don't think the singles thing is a fair comparison. Then again, maybe The Killers wouldn't be as big as they are if it wasn't for the Day & Age singles.

Yeah that's fair I get you. The point definitely stood more for Blink. 

Blink's setlist was incredible in 2014, but the performance wasn't good. They're my favourite band of all time (as I'm sure most are aware by now) but I wondered as soon as they were announced at the end of 2013 why they were back so soon. I often wonder whether there was some 'industry insider info' that Tom wasn't on good terms with Mark and Travis again and that another break up wouldn't be a huge surprise, so R&L booked them knowing that they would be getting them for the last time in the UK again and that the would be a guaranteed ticket shifter anyway. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Blink's setlist was incredible in 2014, but the performance wasn't good. They're my favourite band of all time (as I'm sure most are aware by now) but I wondered as soon as they were announced at the end of 2013 why they were back so soon. I often wonder whether there was some 'industry insider info' that Tom wasn't on good terms with Mark and Travis again and that another break up wouldn't be a huge surprise, so R&L booked them knowing that they would be getting them for the last time in the UK again and that the would be a guaranteed ticket shifter anyway. 

Yeah, fair play if they are your favourite band, but I just think very very few bands should get to headline so soon after playing. Even 4 years is really short in my opinion.

1 minute ago, DanielM17 said:

Yeah, fair play if they are your favourite band, but I just think very very few bands should get to headline so soon after playing. Even 4 years is really short in my opinion.

It makes sense with bands like Arctic Monkeys who were releasing a successful album every couple of years, but I agree there should be enough out there to not have to repeat the likes of Blink who did next to nothing between 2010 and 2014. 

Just now, Odessa said:

It makes sense with bands like Arctic Monkeys who were releasing a successful album every couple of years, but I agree there should be enough out there to not have to repeat the likes of Blink who did next to nothing between 2010 and 2014. 

Yeah, Arctics had at least changed their sound a couple of times and gotten arguably more popular (at least with a younger generation) between 2009 and 2014.

6 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

I genuinely think it'd be a better booking than any of the supposed "likely" bookings we have seen rumoured on here.

I don't really know who's likely. It would be better than rebooking Biffy I guess, but I bet more of your average R+L goers listen to Biffy nowadays even if they're just putting Only Revolutions on now and then.

Just now, Acid_Haze said:

Any chance of Tame Impala this year?

I know a lot of people are expecting them but they've got no European dates in August thus far and played all the ones they could do last year. It's not outside of R+L's capability to just get them over for a couple of shows but skip 2016 and headline on next album would be better IMO.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Next to nothing meaning releasing their first album in eight years and doing a MASSIVE arena tour the following year?

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know a lot of people are expecting them but they've got no European dates in August thus far and played all the ones they could do last year. It's not outside of R+L's capability to just get them over for a couple of shows but skip 2016 and headline on next album would be better IMO.

Think they could move up to headliner? Would be quite an interesting show if the stick down this kinda psychedelic electronica path.

38 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

Human is shite though.

34 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Personally, I can't think of many things worse than that. 

That's literally the only part I think I would enjoy :lol:

29 minutes ago, Odessa said:

When was the last time Metallica or Blink 182 released a song anyone cared about?

Well Metallica managed to chart in 2008. I know that was seven years ago, but I think reaching number nineteen with a heavy metal song is quite impressive these days, and moreso for an older act, because Radios aren't normally as willing to play them. They'll put a new album out this year or next, so it's not like they're not active, and I guarantee it outsells everything else by a mile in its first week, in several countries too.

28 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Massive Attack, The Killers and a Rage Against The Machine that show zero signs of doing anything ever again let alone this year? 

Jesus we need a rumour with some substance to it :lol: 

Think we're getting desperate, but Massive Attack would be a great shout. Their new EP is pretty good.

11 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Any chance of Tame Impala this year?

I bloody hope so, reckon they'll be third on main.

6 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

Yeah, Arctics had at least changed their sound a couple of times and gotten arguably more popular (at least with a younger generation) between 2009 and 2014.

I'd say their popularity dipped with SIAS, but AM just exploded. I can see their next album coming out in 2018, when they'll be ready to headline again!

Just now, DanielM17 said:

Think they could move up to headliner? Would be quite an interesting show if the stick down this kinda psychedelic electronica path.

I think so. They're doing big shows and playing high up just about everywhere and seemingly still on the rise. They'll probably proper try and go for the big time with a complete sell-out of an album but as long as it's not too bad then that's fine with me.

Just now, thelemon said:

Human is shite though.

I'd say their popularity dipped with SIAS, but AM just exploded. I can see their next album coming out in 2018, when they'll be ready to headline again!

Correct.

Also probably correct, but I meant in general they were probably bigger in 2014 than 2009. A lot of people hated Humbug. I think we'll get an Arctics album sooner than 2018. Late Spring/Summer 2017 I'm thinking, with perhaps a headline date at Coachella to boot. 

11 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Could be on before Foals & Disclosure, kinda inbetween subbing and 3rd down

Could see this.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't really know who's likely. It would be better than rebooking Biffy I guess, but I bet more of your average R+L goers listen to Biffy nowadays even if they're just putting Only Revolutions on now and then.

As much as I love Tame Impala, I can't actually see them ever headlining, subs maybe but I don't think they'll ever be big enough to headline, not outright anyway (maybe a co, one day).

2 minutes ago, DanielM17 said:

Correct.

Also probably correct, but I meant in general they were probably bigger in 2014 than 2009. A lot of people hated Humbug. I think we'll get an Arctics album sooner than 2018. Late Spring/Summer 2017 I'm thinking, with perhaps a headline date at Coachella to boot. 

Yeah, they're probably at their most popular ever. I hope the new album does come soon, but Alex has obviously been working on TLSP stuff, and they're touring that now. Monkeys will have to write it, record it, mix it, etc, and then there's going to have to be a whole marketing campaign before it comes out. I'm going to presume, because of TLSP, they're starting near enough from scratch (I swear they can't have had anything left over after AM, because they surely didn't put Mad Sounds on the album out of choice?), and it takes a while for an album to be made and then come out. In theory, it could come out when you said, but I think Alex is going to want some time off, I mean he's been playing or touring almost every year since they formed in '02 or whenever it was.

Also don't understand the Humbug hate, I know it's extremely popular with the core fans now (as in the ones who will buy the albums and not just put Why'd You Only Call Me... on their Spotify playlist), but I can't really remember the reaction at the time, and I wasn't massively into them then anyway. I love it anyway, it sounds amazing on vinyl, and I definitely prefer it to their latest two (although I really like both). Just out of interest, how would you personally rank them? For me, it'd be

WPSIATWIN
FWN
Humbug
AM
SIAS

Love them all, though.

I'd rank them:

Whatever People Say I Am

Humbug

Suck It And See

AM

Favourite Worst Nightmare

I said Humbug was the best for years but I've changed my mind recently. I've always thought FWN was just an inferior version of the first album, thought the second half was terrible. Really don't get the hype surrounding songs like 505. But nobody agrees with me haha.

Just now, thelemon said:

Yeah, they're probably at their most popular ever. I hope the new album does come soon, but Alex has obviously been working on TLSP stuff, and they're touring that now. Monkeys will have to write it, record it, mix it, etc, and then there's going to have to be a whole marketing campaign before it comes out. I'm going to presume, because of TLSP, they're starting near enough from scratch (I swear they can't have had anything left over after AM, because they surely didn't put Mad Sounds on the album out of choice?), and it takes a while for an album to be made and then come out. In theory, it could come out when you said, but I think Alex is going to want some time off, I mean he's been playing or touring almost every year since they formed in '02 or whenever it was.

Also don't understand the Humbug hate, I know it's extremely popular with the core fans now (as in the ones who will buy the albums and not just put Why'd You Only Call Me... on their Spotify playlist), but I can't really remember the reaction at the time, and I wasn't massively into them then anyway. I love it anyway, it sounds amazing on vinyl, and I definitely prefer it to their latest two (although I really like both). Just out of interest, how would you personally rank them? For me, it'd be

WPSIATWIN
FWN
Humbug
AM
SIAS

Love them all, though.

I think they seem to have had some time off already. AM tour wrapped up at the end of 2014 and you'd presume TLSP stuff didn't take all of 2015 and the start of this year too. He probably had the first 6 months of last year off.

My rankings change all the time, but right now:

WPSIATWIN

AM

FWN

SIAS

Humbug

Although I still really really like Humbug, don't let those rankings fool you. I love all their stuff. But tomorrow FWN could be my least favourite and Humbug my favourite. I just think, in comparison, Humbug is a little inconsistent. SIAS I need to be in the mood for but, when it hits me, it hits me. FWN has some of their best (505, FA, Teddy Picker, Do Me A Favour) and also some of their worst (The Bad Thing, This House Is A Circus) tracks on it. AM I loved when it came out and still really really enjoy it, think it is consistently really good. And the first album speaks for itself.