Lineup 2016

Matt42

9 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

You know what would be cool? Suddenly, out of nowhere... Rage Against The Machine.

that's what I just said dude. honestly would be insane, knida makes sense in the circumstances as well, the fact that we're not hearing much about the last headliner would suggest its an american/none British band or a reunion or both. but again its unlikely

Edited by DirtyChorizo

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

that's what I just said dude.

Haha, I should read things before posting :lol:

Have we ruled out Slipknot, Green Day and Muse now? I'd love for it to be Linkin Park, but they don't appear to be touring so that's unlikely. I know they already played recently, but Blink-182 as an outside possibility? Didn't have Skiba last time so it would be a UK debut for the band with him, plus they have a new album this year...

1 minute ago, Hart Attack said:

Haha, I should read things before posting :lol:

Have we ruled out Slipknot, Green Day and Muse now? I'd love for it to be Linkin Park, but they don't appear to be touring so that's unlikely. I know they already played recently, but Blink-182 as an outside possibility? Didn't have Skiba last time so it would be a UK debut for the band with him, plus they have a new album this year...

i should have mentioned, i didn't mean that in a "i said that before you" kind of way, just a coincidence.

1 minute ago, thelemon said:

Prodigy supporting Rage... imagine that for a minute.

please don't, your killing me, just imagine.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It happened in 1996 back when those bands were relevant.

RHCP are arguably not relevant but the reading crowd will fucking love them, disclosure as a pop culture band will fast become irrelevant and soon and no one will remember there performance.

Good music should take precedent over relevance 10/10 times.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It happened in 1996 back when those bands were relevant.

It's quite hard to be classed as what you're (assumingly) calling "relevant" when you're not even active. A RATM reunion would be absolutely massive, and it'd be a lot more chaotic, energetic, and generally enjoyable than a washed-up GNR who probably wouldn't even turn up on time. The Prodigy would be class, too, their hits are pretty much imprinted in the minds of people everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Surely The Prodigy would have to be a coheadliner or a sub? I'd love them to be there but as an outright headliner that would be a bit weak imo. 

yeah, they subbed in 2009 when they were arguably more popular than they are now, plus they're in the second year of touring this album so it's a show people have seen loads before. can't see them as an outright headliner - would be the weakest headliner trio since... well, last year

2 minutes ago, thelemon said:

It's quite hard to be classed as what you're (assumingly) calling "relevant" when you're not even active. A RATM reunion would be absolutely massive, and it'd be a lot more chaotic, energetic, and generally enjoyable than a washed-up GNR who probably wouldn't even turn up on time. The Prodigy would be class, too, their hits are pretty much imprinted in the minds of people everywhere.

Rage were active (and played R+L) for a few years and couldn't be motivated to write new music when there was so much (Bush, 9/11, Iraq) for them to write about and just did gigs for the huge pay packets. The Prodigy have basically been doing the same live show for twenty years without giving their music a shake up at all. Doesn't mean neither shouldn't still tour or owt but booking either now in high slots is basically going "if you didn't see them last time, here it is again".

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Rage were active (and played R+L) for a few years and couldn't be motivated to write new music when there was so much (Bush, 9/11, Iraq) for them to write about and just did gigs for the huge pay packets. The Prodigy have basically been doing the same live show for twenty years without giving their music a shake up at all. Doesn't mean neither shouldn't still tour or owt but booking either now in high slots is basically going "if you didn't see them last time, here it is again".

Well RATM played in '08, though, which was a while ago now. People want Green Day or Radiohead who have both played more recently. Biffy have been high on a few wislists too, and they only played three years ago ffs! Foos as well, they're like a house band. I reckon if they did add Rage (obviously this isn't going to happen, all hypothetical) it would be a set of headliners that sum R+L up completely - Classic, iconic rock band (RHCP), up-and-coming first time headliners (Foals/Disclosure) and legendary reunion (RATM). The Prodigy will always put on a successful show as well imo, just because they have so many classic party songs, and that's always good to have at a festival. Reckon they'd be incredible on NME, but they're too big for that and playing any lower than sub would be a bit weird because it would be daylight. Although I agree they'd be a weaker headliner, and it'd be dead samey with Disclosure already in there. Having said that, could you really have The Prodigy subbing and Pendulum heading? It'd be really strange.

Edited by thelemon

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

while I agree with this, there is a huge amount of people, who haven't seen them live, (including myself so this may be a bit selfish) especially considering readings demographic. RATM being any less than a headliner would be ridiculous though, they are way too established. either Zach would decline a lower spot or they just wouldn't be offered the headline spot. although they haven't done new material in a while, you can't exactly say they are boring live. There is never a dead RATM crowd (apart from coachella but they're always dead as fuck there)

The Killers out of the running? Haven't played since 2008, which was before Day & Age came out. Playing Gov. Ball and recording a new album as we speak. Think it'd make the whole thing look a lot stronger and would not be out of the realms of possibility. 

RHCP

Foals/Disclosure

The Killers

looks pretty strong to me

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah, they subbed in 2009 when they were arguably more popular than they are now, plus they're in the second year of touring this album so it's a show people have seen loads before. can't see them as an outright headliner - would be the weakest headliner trio since... well, last year

Haha, to be fair to them last year while I'm not at all into Metallica or Mumford they're both indisputably big enough to headline. It was only The Libertines for me who I thought were arguably not a headliner but as the smallest of the 3 I don't think you could argue, especially as they were headlining elsewhere too. So yeah, the size of the acts was fine, just wasn't really my cup of tea. 

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I wish people would stop saying it was a weak billing. I'm not the biggest Mumford fan in the world (far from it - their last album was w*nk), but they have some enjoyable songs and they're always good live. I would've definitely watched them if I could afford to go for the whole weekend. Plus, do you not think it's nice to see British bands making it to headliners for the first time, they've definitely worked for it. But, whatever you think about them, you had two other fantastic headliners. Metallica, although I'm probably biased here, are just legendary, right? They're probably not going to get another chance at R+L, and if they do it'll be one more and it'll probably be in another seven or eight years, so you should take the chance to see these bands whilst you still can. Maybe you don't like them, I don't know, but a lot of people absolutely adore them, and they have the critical acclaim and legacy to back it up. The Libertines are also iconic, heroes of British music for me. They mean so much to so many people and the kind of acts R+L likes to book (Arctic Monkeys mainly, plus all the smaller bands that they helped create) wouldn't exist without the Libs. It's quite shocking they'd not headlined before, but they deserve it so much after everything they've been through.

Seriously, the year before you had Blink-182, now that's what you call shite.

1 minute ago, DanielM17 said:

The Killers out of the running? Haven't played since 2008, which was before Day & Age came out. Playing Gov. Ball and recording a new album as we speak. Think it'd make the whole thing look a lot stronger and would not be out of the realms of possibility. 

RHCP

Foals/Disclosure

The Killers

looks pretty strong to me

Everyone disagreed when I suggested The Killers. I really don't see why not as they're playing festivals this summer, although nothing in Europe so far. People were saying they're only suited to V, but they're headlining the same festivals as the likes of The Strokes, Kanye, Arcade Fire etc who would all be suitable for R&L so I think The Killers have a chance too. 

8 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Everyone disagreed when I suggested The Killers. I really don't see why not as they're playing festivals this summer, although nothing in Europe so far. People were saying they're only suited to V, but they're headlining the same festivals as the likes of The Strokes, Kanye, Arcade Fire etc who would all be suitable for R&L so I think The Killers have a chance too. 

Yeah I think they would be a great option for R+L. They are mainstream enough to apply to a pop audience, but there are still loads of people out there outwith that who still really enjoy their first two records (definitely Hot Fuss). They are always really enjoyable live, they haven't done R+L in years, and only one UK show since Wembley/TITP/V summer of 2013. I think they'd be a largely popular and strong booking, particularly as they haven't done R+L in so long compared to the bands that would be considered their 'contemporaries': Arcade Fire, KoL, Kasabian, maybe even Muse and AM if you give or take the years.

They could even be subbed by their best pals Imagine Dragons!

Edited by DanielM17

Metallica are a great band who i love (actually went to Leeds for the day to see them + some others) but they play a British festival almost every year. hardly a special/rare booking. Mumfords are popular but they're just shite in my eyes. The Libertines were great for a R/L crowd but they were a pretty small headliner, and their 2010 show when they subbed was unarguably a much bigger deal. just kinda bland headliners

1 minute ago, DanielM17 said:

Yeah I think they would be a great option for R+L. They are mainstream enough to apply to a pop audience, but thre are still loads of people out there outwith that who still really enjoy their first two records (definitely Hot Fuss). They are always really enjoyable live, they haven't done R+L in years, and only one UK show since Wembley/TITP/V summer of 2013. I think they'd be a largely popular and strong booking, particularly as they haven't done R+L in so long compared to the bands that would be considered their 'contemporaries': Arcade Fire, KoL, Kasabian, maybe even Muse and AM if you give or take the years.

Pretty much what I was saying. I think it was over on the 2017 lineup thread. I appreciate that a lot of people don't care for their recent stuff but so many people would show up just for the hits from 10-12 years ago (Christ, can't believe those albums are that old), and it's not like there aren't plenty of them on a Killers setlist.