Lineup 2016

Matt42

5 minutes ago, Biogeneric said:

I'd disagree with that. They were third down in 2010, almost a year after the release of Only Revolutions. In 2013 they headlined, following the release of Opposites, and as part of their world tour.

Opposites was also a huge success for Biffy Clyro, reaching number 1 in the UK Album Chart.

They will be releasing their new album this year also. If anything, that should re-affirm their headline position on the lineup.

Only Revolutions did well but it didn't set the world on fire, so they were never gonna get boosted up to headline straight off the back of it, but it was probably assumed that the follow up would continue it's success, which in the long run it didn't at all

guess we'll just wait and see how the new album does, but my bets are it won't do nearly as well as Opposites - never mind Only Revolutions

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dylangraham said:

Saying Biffy headlined in 2013 off the back of Only Revolutions is like saying Foals are coheadlining this year off the back of Holy Fire. Sure, that album contributed to them being headliners but it's definitely not the standout factor.

Foals were no doubt booked to headline before What Went Down was released in the hope that it would do as well, if not better, than Holy Fire. it didn't, but they were already booked to headline (their secret set last year is a giveaway for this). i think their next album will need to do pretty damn well to keep them at the top of lineups

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Only Revolutions did well but it didn't set the world on fire, so they were never gonna get boosted up to headline straight off the back of it, but it was probably assumed that the follow up would continue it's success, which in the long run it didn't at all

guess we'll just wait and see how the new album does, but my bets are it won't do nearly as well as Opposites - never mind Only Revolutions

Units sold is not the only determining factor in headlining festivals though. Live reputation, tickets sold to gigs also has a big part to play.

They can play across the board at almost all of the majors and it would be a strange move from them and their management to drop to co-headliner without any other reason. I think they're shoe ins for download next year.

It would also be a strange move from randl to drop another headliner from the already shrinking pool. While promoting a sub-headliner with probably less longevity for future appearances.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Foals were no doubt booked to headline before What Went Down was released in the hope that it would do as well, if not better, than Holy Fire. it didn't, but they were already booked to headline 

I agree that What Went Down was a pretty poor album, but the two singles haven't done too badly in terms of hitting the mainstream. Mountain At My Gates gets airtime on Radio 1, as does What Went Down. The singles just weren't as big as My Number (Although Mountain At My Gates wasn't far off)

Foals almost went for the same formula as last time, A pop fuelled single and a heavy single. My Number and Inhaler.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Foals were no doubt booked to headline before What Went Down was released in the hope that it would do as well, if not better, than Holy Fire. it didn't, but they were already booked to headline (their secret set last year is a giveaway for this). i think their next album will need to do pretty damn well to keep them at the top of lineups

actually i doubt that a lot, yannis has even said that a lot of the songs on what went down were made with the live performance in mind. yes WWD didn't do AS well as holy fire, but in terms of sales and air time, it has so far done better than TLF, i think also in terms of content it did a little better than Holy fire, but is perhaps a little further from the mainstream than Holy fire as a whole which is maybe why it didn't do as well. the songs from WWD live though, are incredible, especially the title track.

people seem to be forgetting that Biffy Clyro already co-headlined Isle of Wight in 2014 just a year after the album was released and they headlined R/L. now why wouldn't they have been booked as a straight up headliner that year, unless perhaps the album's lack of success was already becoming a factor? taken in mind that this was the same year that Kings Of Leon, a band very much on the wane, outright headlined. add to that a year of inactivity and a supposed less mainstream album to come, and this co-headline thing doesn't seem so weird

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Hopefully a less mainstream album means that a few less mainstream songs make their way onto the setlist. Semi-Mental and Jaggy Snake would be nice. 

definitely what i'm hoping for! obviously the likes of Many of Horror will unfortunately be set mainstays, but hopefully some Infinity Land/Vertigo of Bliss stuff will be in there too, and a lot less Only Revolutions stuff which they've played to absolute death

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

people seem to be forgetting that Biffy Clyro already co-headlined Isle of Wight in 2014 just a year after the album was released and they headlined R/L. now why wouldn't they have been booked as a straight up headliner that year, unless perhaps the album's lack of success was already becoming a factor? taken in mind that this was the same year that Kings Of Leon, a band very much on the wane, outright headlined. add to that a year of inactivity and a supposed less mainstream album to come, and this co-headline thing doesn't seem so weird

At isle of wight 2014 Biffy clyro were billed as headliners and Calvin Harris was billed as a closing set.

Edited by kev1664

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

they headlined in 2013 off the back of the success of Only Revolutions. now they're returning it's off the back of Opposites, which didn't do nearly as well commercially, and judging by their interviews their new album isn't gonna help them in that respect. add that to the fact that they only headlined three years ago, it really doesn't seem too odd that them headlining outright was thought to be weak and needed something more. chances are in a few years they'll be back to playing lower slots

57 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

wouldn't say they headlined in 2013 on the back of Only Revolutions. It was part of their Opposites world tour and Only Revolutions was released 4 years before

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah their 2013 headline set was much more off the back of Opposites than Only Revolutions and T/IOW was a continuation of it into it's second year. They also didn't need as much help with getting a headline spot from T and IOW are now booking Stereophonics as part headers so Biffy wasn't a problem there either. Their headline slot may well have been a booking of the presuming opposites would do well and a number 1 album said it did well enough there. If Only Revolutions was enough for them to headline then they would have been doing that in 2011 instead of playing 3rd down, the band as I've said before needed to go really commercial and quite poppy for it to happen. 

49 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I guess they did headline Sonisphere off the back off OR...

27 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

Are expecting Wolf Alice to be playing..? Have to be don't they, playing in europe already that weekend. Where would they slot in.. Early main stage slot?

They'll probably be playing 5th or 6th down on the main stage.

If they are playing.

Edited by Foals/Disclosure

While potentially weak in some peoples eyes, closing sets from Foals, Chilis, and Biffy is super ace. Bands that have alot of crossover appeal in rock and all are or were great live bands. Different vibes going on between them all, and if it means a stronger lower lineup then I think its worked out very well

3 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

While potentially weak in some peoples eyes, closing sets from Foals, Chilis, and Biffy is super ace. Bands that have alot of crossover appeal in rock and all are or were great live bands. Different vibes going on between them all, and if it means a stronger lower lineup then I think its worked out very well

definitely agree this. too many people getting annoyed that its not the exact lineup they wanted to see. If foals are closing on the day they play then I am already happy with the headliners. Regular acts could still be a bit stronger but the like of slaves, Imagine Dragons, etc are solid acts i reckon.