Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

definitely agree this. too many people getting annoyed that its not the exact lineup they wanted to see. If foals are closing on the day they play then I am already happy with the headliners. Regular acts could still be a bit stronger but the like of slaves, Imagine Dragons, etc are solid acts i reckon.

Hopefully they get some nostaligic acts too like Weezer. Jane's Addiction would also be great but they are at Download, which I also think is looking to have a great year

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'll rule them out for you right now. :)

Oh crap their goes my fairly outside bet of the killers headlining reading! But I do think biffy and Fall out boy are very safe and uninspiring choice to co headline I personally would like something a bit different. But I have heard that Buffy are a great live band

1 hour ago, kev1664 said:

At isle of wight 2014 Biffy clyro were billed as headliners and Calvin Harris was billed as a closing set.

Exactly, which is what should have happened with Foal and Disclosure, the only difference is that IOW are able to play until midnight, which helps.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

definitely what i'm hoping for! obviously the likes of Many of Horror will unfortunately be set mainstays, but hopefully some Infinity Land/Vertigo of Bliss stuff will be in there too, and a lot less Only Revolutions stuff which they've played to absolute death

I just want more of puzzles.

Been looking at this forum every now and then for a couple of weeks and thought I'd put my thoughts in. In my opinion if Biffy were to co-headline with FOB, that would be the weakest headline, although they would put on a good show, isn't it a bit early for them to co-headline after they only headlined in 2013? As I'm in the 17-20 age range, probably R&L's target age group, the majority of my friends would probably not to be too thrilled with a biffy/FOB co-headline, I was expecting a big third headliner, and imo, Biffy and FOB is a bit underwhelming, especially when you look at other festivals and their line ups, just my opinion though

2 minutes ago, YorkshireTea said:

Been looking at this forum every now and then for a couple of weeks and thought I'd put my thoughts in. In my opinion if Biffy were to co-headline with FOB, that would be the weakest headline, although they would put on a good show, isn't it a bit early for them to co-headline after they only headlined in 2013? As I'm in the 17-20 age range, probably R&L's target age group, the majority of my friends would probably not to be too thrilled with a biffy/FOB co-headline, I was expecting a big third headliner, and imo, Biffy and FOB is a bit underwhelming, especially when you look at other festivals and their line ups, just my opinion though

i'm not sure what to expect from the last headliner. My favorite thing would be a RATM reunion but i agree that FOB/Biffy would not be strong.

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

As I said, Biffy aren't headlining, and neither are Fall Out Boy playing underneath them.

But, I believe, those bands are both playing (and I never said they weren't).

Which only leaves one option. Can you work it out? :P

I'm surprised that no one actually worked that out when it was mentioned before. 

41 minutes ago, YorkshireTea said:

Yep I definitely think it's weaker than Foals/Disclosure in any case. I don't see any reason why either would be rushed back and in Fall Out Boy's case moved up the bill but it seems that FR felt they were short of options.

Agree with all Floor has said about Biffy being past their peak because it's blatantly obvious. At least now it must be if they were such an afterthought.

It is probably dumb but I can imagine the scenario being that GNR couldn't be secured and with time running out they panicked a little and approached the initial sub, Fall Out Boy, to headline and also realised that Biffy were without a festival and reached out to them too.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It is probably dumb but I can imagine the scenario being that GNR couldn't be secured and with time running out they panicked a little and approached the initial sub, Fall Out Boy, to headline and also realised that Biffy were without a festival and reached out to them too.

yeah this is definitely what i think happened. reeks of GnR falling through for sure, and i definitely don't think FOB would've been approached has they not already been on the bill to begin with as they really haven't gotten that much bigger since they last played. imo, they probably could've subbed in 2013, and are still at that level now

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

the 'Biffy aren't headlining' bit was a bit misleading, 'cause they are.. just alongside Fall Out Boy, but i get where he was coming from

Oh I agree but I'd get flamed if I suggest that lol. I think the problem there was, no one thought that Biffy would be playing without a outright headline status. Maybe FOB have been co-heading from the start with someone that dropped out, hence they are co-heading too. 

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep I definitely think it's weaker than Foals/Disclosure in any case. I don't see any reason why either would be rushed back and in Fall Out Boy's case moved up the bill but it seems that FR felt they were short of options.

Agree with all Floor has said about Biffy being past their peak because it's blatantly obvious. At least now it must be if they were such an afterthought.

I think Biffy probably had their eyes set on Glasto this year and when it became clear that wouldn't happen they were left having to pick up whatever offer they could get.  Seems like a panic move on both sides.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Oh I agree but I'd get flamed if I suggest that lol. I think the problem there was, no one thought that Biffy would be playing without a outright headline status. Maybe FOB have been co-heading from the start with someone that dropped out, hence they are co-heading too. 

i doubt having two co-headliners was always the plan, 'cause they'd be well aware how weak it looks. it's a real oddity and they must've been left in a real jam headliner-wise to have come to the conclusion that they needed to book another two co-headliners, but considering we were struggling to think of who the third headliner could be ourselves i guess the pool was relatively dry and they were left with no choice 

FOB are a band who I would have expected to headline in the future anyway, its just happening a little sooner than I would have expected if they are co-headlining. I really hope that they play a few older tracks. Saturday and Grand Theft Autumn along with the usual Sugar We're Going Down, Dance Dance, I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy and Sixteen Candles from From Under The Cork Tree and I'll be happy. More unrealistically, if they dropped Tell That Mick... I would go nuts. 

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I was thinking this was possible also.

Slipknot

30 Seconds to Mars

System of a down - possible that they were planning on a new album that won't be out before and decided against it.

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah this is definitely what i think happened. reeks of GnR falling through for sure, and i definitely don't think FOB would've been approached has they not already been on the bill to begin with as they really haven't gotten that much bigger since they last played. imo, they probably could've subbed in 2013, and are still at that level now

Not so sure, they will have known GNR weren't available for a while now. You say about FOB still being that level now, but so are two other bands at the top, they would all look weak at the very top but FOB have at least had multiple larger tours now.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i doubt having two co-headliners was always the plan, 'cause they'd be well aware how weak it looks. it's a real oddity and they must've been left in a real jam headliner-wise to have come to the conclusion that they needed to book another two co-headliners, but considering we were struggling to think of who the third headliner could be ourselves i guess the pool was relatively dry and they were left with no choice 

Still wouldn't explain why they wouldn't just ask Biffy outright, unless they have other plans that conflict a headline performance.

Just now, kev1664 said:

Still wouldn't explain why they wouldn't just ask Biffy outright, unless they have other plans that conflict a headline performance.

i guess they could be playing lower down at another festival, but they're still essentially headlining R/L so wouldnt make much sense. i'm guessing that FR thought bringing them back to headline alone again would look weak, especially with Foals and Disclosure already being bump up headliners, so they just added another headliner in an attempt to sweeten the deal, even though it's probably done the opposite of that in many peoples eyes

4 minutes ago, kev1664 said:

I was thinking this was possible also.

Slipknot

30 Seconds to Mars

System of a down - possible that they were planning on a new album that won't be out before and decided against it.

I never thought it was any of those if I'm honest. I don't think that Reading suddenly realized tha Biffy were avilable though, they book headers way in advance that they would know, they just weren't in for them to play top but the hunch is they were going to open NME and got moved up. If FOB were booked as a sub, they would stay as a sub, no reason at all to bump them of it wasn't in intention.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i guess they could be playing lower down at another festival, but they're still essentially headlining R/L so wouldnt make much sense. i'm guessing that FR thought bringing them back to headline alone again would look weak, especially with Foals and Disclosure already being bump up headliners, so they just added another headliner in an attempt to sweeten the deal, even though it's probably done the opposite of that in many peoples eyes

I was thinking more that they've already been booked as an exclusive somewhere else. Now that exclusive may read different like southern festival exclusive.

Hence a possible secret set on the NME which wouldn't interfere with that exclusive. 

As I hope for a northern festival exclusive headline performance.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd say in 2013 they were a strong 3rd/weak sub, and now they'd be a medium-strong sub/weak headliner (but then still a stronger headliner than Foals or Disclosure). Either way I'm happy for them, they just need to stop going in the pop direction and return a bit more to rock, as Save Rock and Roll was really good IMO, but their latest is just ugh.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

It still doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just do Biffy as bonafide headliner on their own with FOB subbing, it's still a boost to FOB, and you'd still expect them to be able to headline next time round in 3 years or so, and your solidifying Biffy as a headline act when your headline pool is already pretty small (hense relentless promotion of bands who probably aren't ready/big enough yet.

I also don't understand why Foals are just an outright headliner with an hour closing set from Disclosure, as that works better in multiple ways, as it looks less shit with having a co-headliner, it keeps Disclosure in the dark for the full set for both sites (can you imagine if Foals gets 90 minutes, and it's a good clear day and they're on last, at leeds? Most of Disclosures set will be in daylight FFS), and it's not like Disclosure actually have tons and tons of songs to fill a full 90 minutes with strong songs, even 75 minutes is a touch too much IMO.