Lineup 2016

Matt42

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Disclosure as a headliner is a little odd - it'd make more sense to bill them as a closing set and let Foals have the headliner position outright (i know you'll disagree on that last point gazza, but it's true). Foals headlining with a closing set from Disclosure and Biffy headlining with FOB subbing* would've looked much stronger than what they've actually done imo, despite being almost identical

*i know i argued that Biffy should be co-headlining, which i think they should - but just not with FOB

Tbh man, I actually think it woud be fine with Disclosure as a closing set as to be a dance closer you don't have to be the biggest thing about, but no I don't agree and they should be subbing, they just haven't done enough yet. They also bought the album out at completely the wrong time for the the slot at the fest.

Biffy should be heading and FOB subbing yes for it to look stronger, but it's not going to look like that anyway if Biffy do a standard set somewhere that isn't Big Weekend. I do think FOB however do deserve tbeir shot at co-heading at least, it's not like they came on the scene two years ago......Royal Blood.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

Well don't watch Disclosure then, go see someone else.

not really the point though is it. If you go to reading, you expect to see good rock/indie headliners, not music that is at least 50% simulated. I'd be fine with them playing in some other spot. apparently foals are closing at reading so I should be fine anyway.

Edited by DirtyChorizo

Just now, DirtyChorizo said:

not really the point though is it. If you go to reading, you expect to see good rock/indie headliners, not music that is at least 50% simulated. I'd be fine with them playing in some other spot.

the times have changed and electronic music is more popular than ever with people attending festivals - why shouldn't it be given a chance to be at the top of lineups if the act is popular enough and the demand is there? the fact that Disclosure apparently absolutely rammed out the NME tent when they last played should be reason enough for them to get the bump up to the main stage this time around

Just now, DirtyChorizo said:

not really the point though is it. If you go to reading, you expect to see good rock/indie headliners, not music that is at least 50% simulated. I'd be fine with them playing in some other spot.

So were you adversed to Eminem headlining in 2013 too? What's wrong with a bit of variety every so often? I saw Disclosure in 2014 at Leeds and they were one of the best acts I saw all weekend, the atmosphere was great. Of course it's personal preference, but I think Disclosure will appeal to the demographic of the R&L audience more than FOB would nowadays.

43 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

So were you adversed to Eminem headlining in 2013 too? What's wrong with a bit of variety every so often? I saw Disclosure in 2014 at Leeds and they were one of the best acts I saw all weekend, the atmosphere was great. Of course it's personal preference, but I think Disclosure will appeal to the demographic of the R&L audience more than FOB would nowadays.

i don't really like FOB either tbh but they make more sense to the crowd. yes the demo is mainly 16-21 ish but that's still a massive portion of the population and considering that the two festivals combined are 180,000, you are probably going to get the people from that demo of 16-21 year olds that are actually passionate about music buying the tickets i.e not house music fans but the rock/indie/punk fans etc. seriously, if you can find me a disclosure crowd that is not motionless then i'd understand your argument better.

4 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

i don't really like FOB either tbh but they make more sense to the crowd. yes the demo is mainly 16-21 ish but that's still a massive portion of the population and considering that the two festivals combined are 180,000, you are probably going to get the people from that demo of 16-21 year olds that are actually passionate about music buying the tickets i.e not house music fans but the rock/indie/punk fans etc. seriously, if you can find me a disclosure crowd that is not motionless then i'd understand your argument better.

You're making it out that you can't be a fan of house music as well as being a fan of rock/indie/punk etc. Like I said, in 2014 one of the best acts I saw was Disclosure, and no the crowd definitely wasn't motionless. Am I an avid house music fan? No. But I appreciate Disclosure as established artists and they've got some great songs. I can't tell if you're issue is just with house music or if it's anything that's not rock/indie etc. My favourite artist last year was Kendrick Lamar 100%. Am I an avid hip-hop fan? Nope. I, and I'm sure a lot of other people who go to R&L, listen to a wide range of genres and would happily go and see different genres at a music festival. Disclosure just makes the headliners more varied - it's not a bad thing at all.

1 hour ago, DirtyChorizo said:

not really the point though is it. If you go to reading, you expect to see good rock/indie headliners, not music that is at least 50% simulated. I'd be fine with them playing in some other spot. apparently foals are closing at reading so I should be fine anyway.

Being in a big crowd, with an awesome soundsystem, lights and an atmosphere to go with

Dance acts can and will headline festivals

13 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

You're making it out that you can't be a fan of house music as well as being a fan of rock/indie/punk etc. Like I said, in 2014 one of the best acts I saw was Disclosure, and no the crowd definitely wasn't motionless. Am I an avid house music fan? No. But I appreciate Disclosure as established artists and they've got some great songs. I can't tell if you're issue is just with house music or if it's anything that's not rock/indie etc. My favourite artist last year was Kendrick Lamar 100%. Am I an avid hip-hop fan? Nope. I, and I'm sure a lot of other people who go to R&L, listen to a wide range of genres and would happily go and see different genres at a music festival. Disclosure just makes the headliners more varied - it's not a bad thing at all.

nah don't like that tbh, i think reading should stick to its rock roots

Edited by BerniesYourDad

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Matt Bellamy as David Bowie?

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Oh dear I do need to look closer. But then again I hold both of them in high esteem so the point stands. Bowie higher though.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Being in a big crowd, with an awesome soundsystem, lights and an atmosphere to go with

Until the pretty people realise they can get the same in a club for a lot less money without having to endure dirt and portaloos.

16 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

i'm an avid fan of good music to be totally honest mate, i like Kendrick and think he's great but i don't think reading is his headline venue, i think disclosure along with most house music I've heard is extremely simplistic and monotonous and repetitive and drab and usually you aren't even getting half the music live, BUT i understand they have a big following and they are a headline act, just not at reading. There has not been an EDM/dance headliner at reading since 1988 (which was a disaster btw, look it up) for a reason. While the crowd that go there may enjoy EDM, they come to reading primarily for rock/inde/punk headliners, not disclosure. I think reading trying to conflate it's highly valued rock/indie/punk history with semi-simulated, computer-generated 'music' will be the death of it if it continues on.

3 minutes ago, BerniesYourDad said:

i'm an avid fan of good music to be totally honest mate, i like Kendrick and think he's great but i don't think reading is his headline venue, i think disclosure along with most house music I've heard is extremely simplistic and monotonous and repetitive and drab and usually you aren't even getting half the music live, BUT i understand they have a big following and they are a headline act, just not at reading. There has not been an EDM/dance headliner at reading since 1988 (which was a disaster btw, look it up) for a reason. While the crowd that go there may enjoy EDM, they come to reading primarily for rock/inde/punk headliners, not disclosure. I think reading trying to conflate it's highly valued rock/indie/punk history with semi-simulated, computer-generated 'music' will be the death of it if it continues on.

I'm not sure if it's that easy to say that the crowd at Reading primarily come for rock/indie/punk headliners. Maybe it's the case for the core audience who have been coming for longer, but like it's been mentioned before, the main demographic for R&L is 16-21. I know loads of people from my college who will be going to Leeds this year but definitely aren't dedicated to going year upon year. Whether that's good or bad for the festival, they have to have acts that will entice people like this to go to their festival. Disclosure are the sort of act that would appeal to this demographic.

3 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

aha, you've let slip of your second account there ;) 

Just now, devilman said:

Oh dear I do need to look closer. But then again I hold both of them in high esteem so the point stands. Bowie higher though.

Bowie was always pretty open minded and Heathen heavily embraced drum & bass don't use him in your rockist argument.

This was always gonna happen as technology became an easier and cheaper tool than buying instruments and amps and effects - it's fair enough if you don't wanna listen to it but it has a place in modern music and it has a place in modern festivals. If people are put off by big dance acts then that's fine because they are the close-minded people that probably aren't desired by the festival anyway. 

Just now, dylangraham said:

aha, you've let slip of your second account there ;) 

aha it's my bros but he, wanted me to say because, he doesn't like commenting, ;) 

4 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

I'm not sure if it's that easy to say that the crowd at Reading primarily come for rock/indie/punk headliners. Maybe it's the case for the core audience who have been coming for longer, but like it's been mentioned before, the main demographic for R&L is 16-21. I know loads of people from my college who will be going to Leeds this year but definitely aren't dedicated to going year upon year. Whether that's good or bad for the festival, they have to have acts that will entice people like this to go to their festival. Disclosure are the sort of act that would appeal to this demographic.

it's a fair point but i still don't understand why they wouldn't just go to creamfeilds or mutiny for that music tbh, that demo is too massive to generalize really

16 minutes ago, devilman said:

Until the pretty people realise they can get the same in a club for a lot less money without having to endure dirt and portaloos.

that's a little unfair as it is a different expirience but i get your point, that type of music is primarily designed for DJing in massive clubs in ibiza

Edited by DirtyChorizo

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Bowie was always pretty open minded and Heathen heavily embraced drum & bass don't use him in your rockist argument.

This was always gonna happen as technology became an easier and cheaper tool than buying instruments and amps and effects - it's fair enough if you don't wanna listen to it but it has a place in modern music and it has a place in modern festivals. If people are put off by big dance acts then that's fine because they are the close-minded people that probably aren't desired by the festival anyway. 

I don't have a rockist argument. I have a live-music-ist argument. I was having a go at Shinedown the other week for playing along to backing tracks when the sounds were easily reproducible live. I don't want to pay to see that and I won't in future. Well, not the same as watching an artist reproduce their work live anyway.

I don't doubt it has a place in modern music. I'll even go and dance to it. I also like drum and bass by the way. I just don't want to pay a fortune to watch someone press play. 

If that is the way the festival wants to go then I have no issue with it, I just won't be there. There are very few people go to as many festivals as me, there is plenty of choice. Saves me a 800 mile journey. If that makes me close minded by only wanting to pay for stuff that I like, I can live with that.

2 minutes ago, devilman said:

I don't have a rockist argument. I have a live-music-ist argument. I was having a go at Shinedown the other week for playing along to backing tracks when the sounds were easily reproducible live. I don't want to pay to see that and I won't in future. Well, not the same as watching an artist reproduce their work live anyway.

I don't doubt it has a place in modern music. I'll even go and dance to it. I also like drum and bass by the way. I just don't want to pay a fortune to watch someone press play. 

If that is the way the festival wants to go then I have no issue with it, I just won't be there. There are very few people go to as many festivals as me, there is plenty of choice. Saves me a 800 mile journey. If that makes me close minded by only wanting to pay for stuff that I like, I can live with that.

agreed. If EDM artist were actually willing to reproduce their music live i wouldn't be so adverse to it

3 minutes ago, devilman said:

Alright I apologise for mixing you in with the ones that are just saying 'no EDM' and stuff. Disclosure do play live though and put a lot of work into it - heck if they're miming as you say then bashing about on synth drums for an an hour and a half is still a ton of effort.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Nah by 'him' I meant you DirtyChorizo.

oh okay i get you, he has up voted 2 of my posts so if it means that much (which it really doesn't on this thread) then just consider me negative one.

Fuck it, might as well explain the whole story if your that convinced. My brother goes to Plymouth uni and is doing a placement year in Birmingham. On this placement year he gets Thursday-Sunday off. (he gets a week off this week) during this time he comes and visits me and he usually leaves his work laptop there and we only have one in our house so we both use the same one, he doesn't want my notifications coming up while he's on it so he created his own account. this leads to us constantly changing back and fourth between accounts, and yes occasionally when i comment i forget to switch accounts so it comes up on his account. On that particular post, he had suggested that i write something, (more like we were chatting about the previous comment made and i was sort of writing it as he was saying it type of thing). once i had posted it I realized I had done it on his account so i switched it.

believe me or not, it doesn't really matter. If I was up voting myself like you suggested then i would have probably just simply not addressed the situation. but I do understand that it may have looked like that from an outside perspective.

Edited by DirtyChorizo

4 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

believe me or not, it doesn't really matter. If I was up voting myself like you suggested then i would have probably just simply not addressed the situation. but I do understand that it may have looked like that from an outside perspective.

Or created a hugely elaborate cover story with as much unnecessary detail as possible in an attempt to convince everyone you're not upvoting yourself.