Lineup 2016

Matt42

2 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

Also on the note of headliner and bands and festival states/repeat line ups etc, has anyone thought about Download? I mean seriously every year I'm stunned they get 3 headliners. Once Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth etc stop.....that's when a festival will face jeopardy.

Don't shoot me down here because I know next to nothing about Download, but could bands like Biffy Clyro and BMTH headline?

One thing I would say is that the turnover for Download headliners is crazy.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, #FreeComTruise said:

I feel like you've been here long enough to know that discussion of the lineup always results in debating something pointless.

To be honest, I think R&L probably books better dance acts than other genres at the minute. Most people here need to realise the festival doesn't really cater to them anymore and should stop clinging onto what it used to book.

while i feel like there is absolutely merit to what you are saying and at the same time I don't want to take a prescriptive view on music in general, i also feel like it would be such a fucking shame if reading became a dance music festival and never acknowledged its rock'n'roll history.

P.S. I'm gazza xD 

What a weak year of headliners (minus RHCP+Biffy). Both Foals and FOB played 3rd down in 2013 and i dont know what it's gonna be like at foals' arena shows but I was at FOBs arena show and it was nowhere near full. And I doubt Disclosure are much of a pull either.

Is this what a headliner is now? A band that can barely sell out arenas? 

Just now, Paris said:

What a weak year of headliners (minus RHCP+Biffy). Both Foals and FOB played 3rd down in 2013 and i dont know what it's gonna be like at foals' arena shows but I was at FOBs arena show and it was nowhere near full. And I doubt Disclosure are much of a pull either.

Don't start the Foals debate again please and thank you.

2 minutes ago, Paris said:

Is this Gazza's mate's sister-in-law from Leicester?

1 minute ago, DirtyChorizo said:

while i feel like there is absolutely merit to what you are saying and at the same time I don't want to take a prescriptive view on music in general, i also feel like it would be such a fucking shame if reading became a dance music festival and never acknowledged its rock'n'roll history.

P.S. I'm gazza xD 

I don't think it's becoming a 'dance music festival', it's not exactly Creamfields. It just books what's popular, and always has done. This has been pointed out a lot to counter your point (you're not the only one to say it). Dance music is really popular at the minute, so the dance stage got expanded to three days, and there's more dance acts across all the stages. But you've still got acts like RHCP, QOTSA, Metallica headlining.. 3 days of The Pit/Lock Up.. Shit loads of rock, indie, punk across the lineup.. It's not like the festival has completely changed, just its main target audience's music preferences has - that includes a lot of dance music atm with people my age.

1 minute ago, Asdaprice said:

I love how one decent live video of a band is enough to make people believe they are worthy of headlining a major music festival haha.

"But look at the fun they're having! Look at the lazers!!"

I don't think anyone is saying that the video alone justifies their headline spot.

7 minutes ago, Paris said:

She has got a point though to be fair and I'm happy with all the headliners. Fuck it the more the merrier. Lets have Chilis co headline with Craig David. 

RHCP and Biffy are the only 2 who have close to sold out arena tours at least and have headlined a MAJOR festival in some capacity before.

Edited by Asdaprice

1 minute ago, #FreeComTruise said:

I don't think it's becoming a 'dance music festival', it's not exactly Creamfields. It just books what's popular, and always has done. This has been pointed out a lot to counter your point (you're not the only one to say it). Dance music is really popular at the minute, so the dance stage got expanded to three days, and there's more dance acts across all the stages. But you've still got acts like RHCP, QOTSA, Metallica headlining.. 3 days of The Pit/Lock Up.. Shit loads of rock, indie, punk across the lineup.. It's not like the festival has completely changed, just its main target audience's music preferences has - that includes a lot of dance music atm with people my age.

suppose i can't really argue with that.

Just now, justanothername said:

Couldn't be bothered with the endless stupid agruements that only repeat the same point again and again.

can't really blame you either :P

1 minute ago, RedBalloon said:

Don't start the Foals debate again please and thank you.

Does a live performance really justify a headliner? There are many bands that put on a brilliant live show like Babymetal, Marilyn Manson etc. But does that mean that they should headline the festival?

3 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

I love how one decent live video of a band is enough to make people believe they are worthy of headlining a major music festival haha.

"But look at the fun they're having! Look at the lazers!!"

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

I don't think anyone is saying that the video alone justifies their headline spot.

Nope, more so that people who have seen Foals live are 100% sure they'll absolutely smash a headline spot, and whether they're objectively big enough or not - anyone who goes to see them headline will come away having seen a very good and well deserved headline set.