Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, #FreeComTruise said:

I'm guessing you're capitalising "major" because Bestival (80k) isn't good enough for you

Yep. To be honest I forget Bestival exists, I don't really hear much about it at all, and its not quite in the same league as Glasto, IOW, V, Reading, and T is it?

Edited by Asdaprice

I kinda recall reading an article on NME a couple of years ago where Simon Neil said that he wouldn't mind playing lower down the bill at rnl (granted its still headlining) if the material they were making wasn't safe. Let me try and find it

Edit: Here it is: http://www.nme.com/news/biffy-clyro/72315

Edited by supreme

7 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

8 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

in short, yes

Now I probably should have worded that better.

If the factor that justifies whether a band should headline festivals is the quality of the live performance then of course Foals should headline! But it's not...

You want a band that you know is gonna push those 90,000 tickets. Will foals be able to do that? I doubt it considering they havent get sold out an arena tour.

13 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

She has got a point though to be fair and I'm happy with all the headliners. Fuck it the more the merrier. Lets have Chilis co headline with Craig David. 

RHCP and Biffy are the only 2 who have close to sold out arena tours at least and have headlined a MAJOR festival in some capacity before.

Who's upvoting you?

1 minute ago, Asdaprice said:

Missy Elliot, Chic, and Snoop Dogg all headlined in the last 3 years. C'mon....its not the same as the festivals I mention. 

It has different headliners as it caters to a different audience, that doesn't mean it's not a major festival. 

Muse have also been tipped to headline - whether or not it materialises is a different matter, but you wouldn't see them headlining a festival that wasn't up there with your 'majors'.

6 minutes ago, Paris said:

Now I probably should have worded that better.

If the factor that justifies whether a band should headline festivals is the quality of the live performance then of course Foals should headline! But it's not...

You want a band that you know is gonna push those 90,000 tickets. Will foals be able to do that? I doubt it considering they havent get sold out an arena tour.

primarily you want both but i feel like RHCP and hopefully the last headliner will do the job of pushing tickets while foals may not do that as much, they don't necessarily have to due to the point made above, all they have to deliver is a great live performance which i'm confident they will do.

Just now, #FreeComTruise said:

It has different headliners as it caters to a different audience, that doesn't mean it's not a major festival. 

Muse have also been tipped to headline - whether or not it materialises is a different matter, but you wouldn't see them headlining a festival that wasn't up there with your 'majors'.

I want to make it clear I've said before and will say again I'm happy with Reading giving bands a chance to headline and Foals definitely deserve the break and will smash it no doubt.

But in my eyes, it nothing to do with catering to a different audience, those acts hands down would go down well at Reading but not as headliners - because festivals like Reading and T have a history of having established arena selling bands headline. Missy Elliot and Snoop Dogg are not arena sell out artists. Despite having 80k crowds, it is obviously a completely different festival market akin to Latitude and not one which is primarily about music and needing big names.

3 minutes ago, #FreeComTruise said:

If they're not relevant now, then they can't have been relevant when they headlined R&L either, definitely a duff argument

very true. The only reason that argument has been made is simply because they were established in 1976 but i saw someone say that on a thread about bestival. although the constant band member changing does annoy me a little, they are deserved headliners.

Edited by DirtyChorizo

Bestival no doubt gets huge names in, maybe 1 a year, but they're by the looks of things not current mainstream bands/artists. The Cure aren't current and mainstream, but obviously Reading still occasionally likes to get old school giants in. Thats not the argument though, its about the smaller bands.

2 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

Bestival no doubt gets huge names in, maybe 1 a year, but they're by the looks of things not current mainstream bands/artists. The Cure aren't current and mainstream, but obviously Reading still occasionally likes to get old school giants in. Thats not the argument though, its about the smaller bands.

The argument is whether it's a major festival or not, and the answer is yes, it is.