Lineup 2016

Matt42

Just now, Odessa said:

Pretty much what I was saying. I think it was over on the 2017 lineup thread. I appreciate that a lot of people don't care for their recent stuff but so many people would show up just for the hits from 10-12 years ago (Christ, can't believe those albums are that old), and it's not like there aren't plenty of them on a Killers setlist.

When I saw them at Bellahouston in 2014, they played 4 tracks from each studio album, plus two of the greatest hits tracks and two covers I think. So that's 8 from the first two, and everyone knows Human, Spaceman, Runaways etc anyway. They are a massive band and would be a draw, I think. I think, if people decide based on headliners who they want to see, and are waiting for the third headliner to tip them over the edge of buying a ticket, The Killers are quite a safe bet cause even a lot of casuals may want to catch them.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DanielM17 said:

When I saw them at Bellahouston in 2014, they played 4 tracks from each studio album, plus two of the greatest hits tracks and two covers I think. So that's 8 from the first two, and everyone knows Human, Spaceman, Runaways etc anyway. They are a massive band and would be a draw, I think. I think, if people decide based on headliners who they want to see, and are waiting for the third headliner to tip them over the edge of buying a ticket, The Killers are quite a safe bet cause even a lot of casuals may want to catch them.

I was at that gig too! The covers were Bad Moon Rising and Don't You Forget About Me, the latter was brilliant. Loved it but the crowd was awful. A lot of people there didn't even know the likes of Bling. So they attract part time fans even to gigs, so there will be plenty of people at festivals up for catching them definitely.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I was at that gig too! The covers were Bad Moon Rising and Don't You Forget About Me, the latter was brilliant. Loved it but the crowd was awful. A lot of people there didn't even know the likes of Bling. So they attract part time fans even to gigs, so there will be plenty of people at festivals up for catching them definitely.

Part of that I think was down to the fact people went there to see both support acts (Miles Kane and Courteeners), and didn't give a rat's arse about The Killers. There were even "who the fuck are the Killers" chants going around during Courteeners.

But regardless, I agree and think they'd be a popular, strong booking.

Edited by DanielM17

i think the reason that The Killers won't play R/L again any time soon is because they're largely irrelevant these days. when was the last time they had a song that anybody really gave a shit about? they're similar to Kings of Leon in that they got massive for a bit and then have struggled to really follow it up and so are stuck headlining V every few years. there's only so many times people can belt out Mr Brightside before getting sick to death of it, and unfortunately that was about five+ years ago for most people

Just now, DanielM17 said:

Part of that I think was down to the fact people went there to see both support acts (Miles Kane and Courteeners), and didn't give a rat's arse about The Killers. There were even "who the fuck are the Killers" chants going around during Courteeners.

Imagine paying fifty odd quid to see The Courteeners and Miles Kane. Fuck me.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i think the reason that The Killers won't play R/L again any time soon is because they're largely irrelevant these days. when was the last time they had a song that anybody really gave a shit about? they're similar to Kings of Leon in that they got massive for a bit and then have struggled to really follow it up and so are stuck headlining V every few years. there's only so many times people can belt out Mr Brightside before getting sick to death of it, and unfortunately that was about five+ years ago for most people

Fair play I suppose, but they played Wembley on their last album tour - after already doing an arena tour - the same summer as they were doing IOW and T so apparently some people care. I don't think they are any less relevant than Muse, although Muse are probably the bigger band overall. In fact, in terms of "hits", I'd say they have had huge singles more recently than the likes of Muse have.

Edited by DanielM17

26 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Well RATM played in '08, though, which was a while ago now. People want Green Day or Radiohead who have both played more recently. Biffy have been high on a few wislists too, and they only played three years ago ffs! Foos as well, they're like a house band. I reckon if they did add Rage (obviously this isn't going to happen, all hypothetical) it would be a set of headliners that sum R+L up completely - Classic, iconic rock band (RHCP), up-and-coming first time headliners (Foals/Disclosure) and legendary reunion (RATM). The Prodigy will always put on a successful show as well imo, just because they have so many classic party songs, and that's always good to have at a festival. Reckon they'd be incredible on NME, but they're too big for that and playing any lower than sub would be a bit weird because it would be daylight. Although I agree they'd be a weaker headliner, and it'd be dead samey with Disclosure already in there. Having said that, could you really have The Prodigy subbing and Pendulum heading? It'd be really strange.

20 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

while I agree with this, there is a huge amount of people, who haven't seen them live, (including myself so this may be a bit selfish) especially considering readings demographic. RATM being any less than a headliner would be ridiculous though, they are way too established. either Zach would decline a lower spot or they just wouldn't be offered the headline spot. although they haven't done new material in a while, you can't exactly say they are boring live. There is never a dead RATM crowd (apart from coachella but they're always dead as fuck there)

I realise bands come back every few years, of course, and I get that loads of young people won't have had the chance to see Rage but they should be promoting new acts with something to say (if there are any - that's why we need them) rather than the flabby old ones in between Bruce Springsteen tours.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica are a great band who i love (actually went to Leeds for the day to see them + some others) but they play a British festival almost every year. hardly a special/rare booking. Mumfords are popular but they're just shite in my eyes. The Libertines were great for a R/L crowd but they were a pretty small headliner, and their 2010 show when they subbed was unarguably a much bigger deal. just kinda bland headliners

Pretty much how I see it too. A lot of people said Mumford weren't really right for it and popular interest in them had kinda dropped. Then Metallica doing another festival with no new album and The Libertines who had already hit this reunion pretty hard so that it wasn't that special anymore. For the year 2015 it was kind of a balls up.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Whi think the reason that The Killers won't play R/L again any time soon is because they're largely irrelevant these days. when was the last time they had a song that anybody really gave a shit about? they're similar to Kings of Leon in that they got massive for a bit and then have struggled to really follow it up and so are stuck headlining V every few years. there's only so many times people can belt out Mr Brightside before getting sick to death of it, and unfortunately that was about five+ years ago for most people

When was the last time Metallica or Blink 182 released a song anyone cared about?

Just now, Odessa said:

When was the last time Metallica or Blink 182 released a song anyone cared about?

Metallica are one of the biggest bands of all time, so like The Cure or RHCP or whatever that doesn't really matter. Agree on Blink though, I've never seen them as really THAT big, definitely not music legends. The Killers of Day & Age time are bigger in my opinion than Blink have ever been.

1 minute ago, DanielM17 said:

It's an eternal shame how big those two acts are, especially Courteeners.

I do like TLSP but not cause of Miles I tend to presume.

I like Courteeners other than the dire last album, but yeah I hate how big they are. People from Manchester desperate for this generation's Smiths, Stone Roses or Oasis and they've for some reason decided it should be the Courteeners. Very odd. I've seen Miles a few times live as well tbh and I enjoy it but I never listen to his albums. Alex Turner has basically handed him a career, doubt he'd have made it otherwise.

Just now, Andre91 said:

Massive Attack, The Killers and a Rage Against The Machine that show zero signs of doing anything ever again let alone this year? 

Jesus we need a rumour with some substance to it :lol: 

Massive Attack just went on tour literally 2 weeks ago and have just released an EP, The Killers are playing festivals in the summer and recording a new album.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Massive Attack, The Killers and a Rage Against The Machine that show zero signs of doing anything ever again let alone this year? 

Jesus we need a rumour with some substance to it :lol: 

Massive attack have played a couple of shows this year, that's what I suggested it. I might be wrong but I think I remember seeing down thing about new stuff 

Just now, Odessa said:

I like Courteeners other than the dire last album, but yeah I hate how big they are. People from Manchester desperate for this generation's Smiths, Stone Roses or Oasis and they've for some reason decided it should be the Courteeners. Very odd. I've seen Miles a few times live as well tbh and I enjoy it but I never listen to his albums. Alex Turner has basically handed him a career, doubt he'd have made it otherwise.

I heard someone compare them to The Smiths once and it made me want to bathe in bleach.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Metallica's status alone guarantees them that headline spot, plus they're a terrific live act. Blink was a real oddity - Melvin claims it was always the plan to have em back as he loved them so much in 2010 but I'm unsure of that. The Killers have no such status and stunk the place out the last time they headlined. i'd just find it a very odd booking and it'd reek of 'we couldn't find anybody else'. although from what Neil has said, that may well be the situation with this years third headliner

14 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I was there too and thought they were decent but yeah, the crowd wasn't great. About 4 songs in two girls next to me started fighting and within a couple of minutes it somehow turned into a big 20 man brawl.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Metallica's status alone guarantees them that headline spot, plus they're a terrific live act. Blink was a real oddity - Melvin claims it was always the plan to have em back as he loved them so much in 2010 but I'm unsure of that. The Killers have no such status and stunk the place out the last time they headlined. i'd just find it a very odd booking and it'd reek of 'we couldn't find anybody else'. although from what Neil has said, that may well be the situation with this years third headliner

The Killers' live show has no doubt improved, and I think a really soon repeat of Biffy stinks of 'we couldn't find anybody else' more than a more popular band who haven't played in 8 years.