General Election 2015

eFestivals

Anyway Neil... Time to admit I was right about "Red Ed" and the British public ?

I won't hold my breath :P

I said it the day he was elected leader, if you care to remember back. For once, on that day we actually agreed.

I said Ed was the better choice on a policy & personal political history basis, but that his brother would be far more acceptable to the public at large.

But ultimately, I'm not sure it would have made much difference. The issues were more about what happened in Scotland and Ed Balls' position in the party (which would have been identical, given the way Labour did its shadow cabinet) than who the leader actually was.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ, all the new Labour leader candidates are utterly depressing.

From memory Cameron was realtively unknown when he got the job. I think he was shadow cabinet, but not particulrly high profile. I dont think its a guarnatee that it will be one of the established names, in fact witha view to change, I suspect it wont be.

Chicken Dave will do all the nasty stuff and the EU referendum, and then resign for Boris - who gets a year or two trouble-free and the tories get elected with a Thatcher-type majority.

You read it here first. ;)

I think Osborne will be the next PM. I think he has the support base within the MPs to keep Boris out of a run off when the members decide.

the tories have already orchestrated a HoC vote (back in Febuary) to ensure it's mostly kept covered up.

The only thinbgs which will come out will be about dead people, or where there's alreadsy an amount of stuff in the public domain - and that's going to end up damning Labour more than the tories, because mostly the tory stuff is still covered up.

dammit! just looking through majorities and at least its not as big as they have had in the past(less than 92 and WAYYY less than labour in 97) not sure if this is of any comfort/help?

I think Burnham would be a poor choice, he comes across as a nice guy, but I suspect he would have the same questions regarding leadership as Ed had. He is also tainted by being in the treasury during the Brown era. To appoint anyone with links to Brown/Blair would be a huge mistake.

There seems to be a lot of criticism about Harman being temporary leader, Im fine with this as I think the only alternative is a coronation which would be terrible. I do hope however that the leadership contest is shorter than the last one which seemed to drag on forever.

I wouldn't of thought so... As long as they get their referendum....

Over the years by-elections etc might eat away there majority I suppose...

Im not sure, i always have got the impression that the conservatives seem to be a healthier breed of politicians! There seem to be a couple of labour MPs who die during most election cycles.

Now you're saying (again, today) that Labour should have focus groups and listen to what the people want, the complete opposite to all you've said before. :lol:

What the people want has just been shown by the vote - a more right wing Labour, if they're to be elected.

No I'm not. Labour party policy should be decided by Labour party members & absolutely not focus groups.

None of my business of course:)

I read an article recently that said Chuka was/is Tony Blairs favourite choice to take over the leadership... People may not see that as a good thing though

I think Burnham would be a poor choice, he comes across as a nice guy, but I suspect he would have the same questions regarding leadership as Ed had. He is also tainted by being in the treasury during the Brown era. To appoint anyone with links to Brown/Blair would be a huge mistake.

There seems to be a lot of criticism about Harman being temporary leader, Im fine with this as I think the only alternative is a coronation which would be terrible. I do hope however that the leadership contest is shorter than the last one which seemed to drag on forever.

Not sure why she's being criticised. She was voted in as the deputy leader and would take over in such circumstances. Though has announce she'll step down from this role come the appointment of a new leader.

I can't see Labour coming back to power for over 20 years after last night. I predict in fighting and a further lurch to the left. Its the 80s all over again.

Think that depends on what the tories do in the next five years but yes I can see them staying there

I like Burnham... He isn't PM material though...

I can't see Labour coming back to power for over 20 years after last night. I predict in fighting and a further lurch to the left. Its the 80s all over again.

Labour lack real quality in its ranks. I can't think of anyone who is ready to lead them to victory.

Im probably less pesamistic than you Barry. I dont see much quality in the Milliband/Burnham/Cooper generation, but have been impressed by a few of the people coming through, As I have said earlier the day after Howard lost the election, how many people saw Cameron as the man who would take them forward.

I cant see labour splitting signifciantly, I dont think their left wing is significant in numbers and think most of them are politically quite similar. For all their problems they remain the main opposition and its hard ot see that changing. The electorate eventually gets fed up of a party (both in England and Scoltand) and they will be the next in line, i cant see it taking 20 years. While its a poor result, just a small swing from the conseervatives and things look differently. Come 2015 they will be attacking a lot more than defending and I think they will have a good chance.

You have to admire the man's optimism

Defiant Jim Murphy said he still believes he can be Scotland's first minister next year, despite leading Scottish Labour to its worst Westminster election result."

I do hope however that the leadership contest is shorter than the last one which seemed to drag on forever.

It should be a long one, really.

They need to find out what the people want that they can build a policy platform around, and then get a leader who can effectively lead them on that platform.

A fast election will have them elect a leader who'll then set the policy platform, who'll then try and tell the people it's what they should be wanting. It's arse about face (but probably what they'll do ;)).

A leader only gets to effectively lead if he's got people who want to be led. That means he has to firstly be on the same side as them. He can only really start to lead them to somewhere else once he's got them behind him.

An electorate that has swarmed to UKIP is not going to vote for someone named Chuka...

That and he was left tongue tied just by Ian Dale the other evening on the radio.

Really odd result, wasn't expect it to be that bad when I got up this morning! I thought at the very worst it would be another Lib Dem/Tory coalition.

The overall vote share is interesting and the swings, does show how fucked our system is to represent the people. I reckon the great hope for change there, actually rests with good old Nige being reelected as UKIP leader as I think he would be more likely to get the public onside for any change in the voting system.

They should have put Alan Johnson in when they had the chance, not that it would have mattered it was the fear of unionists wot won it.

London is fairly red again now though - could we see a Labour Lord Mayor again?

The Lord Mayor is something completely different :P Mostly voted for the bankers in the city!

But hard to say until candidates are announced but I can't see London going for a Tory Mayor again, not with how things are. The only reason Bojo won is because of the "lols" not policy.

Edited by LondonTom

It should be a long one, really.

They need to find out what the people want that they can build a policy platform around, and then get a leader who can effectively lead them on that platform.

A fast election will have them elect a leader who'll then set the policy platform, who'll then try and tell the people it's what they should be wanting. It's arse about face (but probably what they'll do ;)).

A leader only gets to effectively lead if he's got people who want to be led. That means he has to firstly be on the same side as them. He can only really start to lead them to somewhere else once he's got them behind him.

I agree that they should decide where they want to go before deciding who should lead them there. We just disagree on how they decide on their policies.

I suspect, however, that you are right and they will go for a quick election.

In those circumstances, is there a decent candidate of the left (other than the beast of Bolsover)?

No I'm not. Labour party policy should be decided by Labour party members & absolutely not focus groups.

None of my business of course:)

I'm not suggesting that Labour should do everything the people might want. They should adopt the stuff that's more-to-the-left of where we are.

And I'm saying they should take note of it and use it where they can, so that enough people feel they can support them.

Which is pretty much what Blair did at the start (tho he would have had support if more-left). Where he went wrong tended to be after that.

There's no point as a political party - or even as someone with a desire for something better - in wanting what the people aren't going to support. It's far better to get power and make a small change for the better than not get power and make none at all.