Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 12/02/2016 at 10:51 AM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

There aren't actually that many about as far as I know, I remember he did a Boiler Room from his bedroom once where he played for about 6 hours, I think most of his sets give a pretty good indication of his style so give Soundcloud a little search - also worth having a listen the Dekmantal Podcast that Four Tet did, it's a recording from his set there last year, if you have the time the Four Tet b2b Floating Points set from the last night at Plastic People is an absolute tour de force too.

Any love for Greg Wilson on these boards? He is an absolute titan in technical terms.

as for a Ben UFO mix definitely the one he recorded at the fabric birthday in 2014: http://www.mixesdb.com/w/2014-10-18_-_Ben_UFO_@_Fabric_15th_Birthday_Weekend,_fabric,_London

and yes, big love for Greg Wilson!! He is usually there, lets hope he is again.

I used to do some work in Boston Manor, can't imagine anything ever happening there to be honest, bit out of the way and a pain to get to, reckon the last exciting thing to happen in Boston Manor was when a terrorist cell was found to be storing bomb making equipment there!

I reckon one potentially big advantage having looked at the site is that it is hemmed in by industrial space and the nearest residential area is the other side of the M4 so the sound levels should be cracking.

Its been announced as happening there so I reckon it will be driven by the sound levels, and potentially easier to get a licence if the local council are keen to get external events into the area - I've certainly never heard of any large scale events taking place there.

An appallingly written article, and basically adds very little but kinda covers what we were all saying a page or so back...

https://thump.vice.com/en_uk/article/why-is-every-single-dance-music-festival-line-up-pretty-much-exactly-the-same

Edited by Matt - Ed Banger Records

The biggest problem is the punters. Most of them are gimps. Each genre's scene are full of them.

Fanboys and Fangirls who listen to very very few acts. They believe they are the scene. 

Trance has its "team 140" who demand for 140 bpm (yes, those bellends do exist)

Techno has people solely into Drumcode and their artists.

Psytrance has a culture of only listening to Psytrance.

It means that the festival and event bookers stick to a formula.

Yeah absolutely, I basically spent 4 years only attending nights with a member of the Ed Banger crew playing, think the onus is on people to attend different nights and help the overall scene grow.

realistically the DJ's are almost secondary in the enterprise, guess a lot comes from the promoters taking a chance and the punters trusting them a touch more

People in dance music circles are obsessed by genre and trying to feel credible.

If someone calls a track "techno" you will get someone saying "this isn't techno, it's tech house" or whatever. People love pigeon holing tracks, acts or nights. I think it is partly to add false credibilty to it. 

Society has often looked on electronic music as fake. Constantly definining it doesn't make it credible. It makes you a tit.

Carl Cox plays what he wants with whoever and that is why he is the daddy. Plays with Sven Vath, Fatboy Slim, Adam Beyer, Slipmatt, Moby - he doesn't care. If you play a tune, he will vibe with it.

i thought the thump article made a really good point with a funny twist! The thing about clubs is that the crowd and the venue can make it or break it as much as the DJ can. A poor crowd and an oversold venue can ruin any night and sadly there are too many idiot punters out there and too many promoters wanting to make a quick buck.

but when the formula works and you get an amazing DJ in a great space with a quality crowd it is unlike anything else and that's why I always come back for more. 

Its also why i love glastonbury as I can get bands and Dj's on the same lineup with a closing time of later than 11pm. so few festivals have a great offering of both live acts AND DJ's these days. I wouldnt really consider going to a pure dance music festival not held in a holiday park (Bloc and Bugged out are great events and can get by without live bands but the rest can't for me)

Edited by Memory Man

a lot of it is either going out with their mates regardless of who's playing or what type of music it is (aka the Leeds student crowd) or yes just going out to take drugs.

i wish it were more like an 80% music dedication and 20% drugs rather than the other way round, which in many cases (particularly WHP and the like) it certainly is.

i find it fairly odd how some acts get a really huge following whoile others remain relative unknowns, yet the talent level is pretty much the same. Its all about marketing really. Don't get me wrong Bicep and Jackmaster are both incredible acts in terms of talent and track selection but their marketing has won them treble the fan base of their talent. they were both better about 2/3 years ago before absolutely relentless touring saturated them and removed some of their hunger and desire that made them great to begin with. bicep look to be going through the motions these days which is sad. jackmaster can be 10/10 or 2/10 depending on which of his personalities shows up.

Edited by Memory Man

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

a lot of it is either going out with their mates regardless of who's playing or what type of music it is (aka the Leeds student crowd) or yes just going out to take drugs.

i wish it were more like an 80% music dedication and 20% drugs rather than the other way round, which in many cases (particularly WHP and the like) it certainly is.

But in 2003, I was off to sankeys and gatecrasher - to get off my face. Nothing else... but you (well I did) got an education in the kind of electronic music I would love. I was always going to gigs, but not clubs.

I don't mind people going out solely to get fucked personally.. I was once that person. It didn't matter who was on. I didn't know.

If anything things were simpler then!!

It's the fanboys/girls who wont listen to ANYTHING other than 1 genre who wind me up

everyone has to start somewhere and I appreciate that! you know someone is only in it for the scene when you can identify their branded "streetwear" such as patagonia, obey, supreme etc etc winds me up, get your own style and stop being a sheep!

or possibly even worse: "my 90's sportswear is shitter than your 90's sportswear" hands up who's seen this shite out in the clubs? Ellesse, Fila, Champion..... fuck me it was shit then and it sure as hell is shit now. 

i have digressed, but i think i was trying to prove an original poster's point of there being too many people out there who are in it for the scene / perceived coolness and not the music

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If someone calls a track "techno" you will get someone saying "this isn't techno, it's tech house" or whatever. People love pigeon holing tracks, acts or nights. I think it is partly to add false credibilty to it. 

Whenever I find myself in the company of such people I just start making up genres to see what they'll do.

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

i find it fairly odd how some acts get a really huge following whoile others remain relative unknowns, yet the talent level is pretty much the same. Its all about marketing really. Don't get me wrong Bicep and Jackmaster are both incredible acts in terms of talent and track selection but their marketing has won them treble the fan base of their talent. they were both better about 2/3 years ago before absolutely relentless touring saturated them and removed some of their hunger and desire that made them great to begin with. bicep look to be going through the motions these days which is sad. jackmaster can be 10/10 or 2/10 depending on which of his personalities shows up.

You do realise you've just started pigeonholing people into genres?

I used to enjoy the dance scene in Leeds as a student.  I went out with my mates to whatever nights were on!  Shock horror!  I also used to spend most of my time listening to the production and songwriting techniques to learn how to improve my own craft.  I didn't then and I still don't really care too much for the distinctions between techno, house, trance or whatever other genres you choose to throw around, but I could quite happily talk about tempo, syncopation, waveforms and resonance all day.

Everyone you look down on for their superficiality is probably far more complex and nuanced than you give them credit for.