Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

12 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Agree. All the above genres have 0 representation this year.

Also the whole Anjunadeep scene which is an absolutely massive industry and there is not one dj from this whole genre. 

Likewise I honestly don’t think there has been a year when at least 2 of the sasha/ digweed/ warren/ seaman etc names haven’t played. This year nothing. 

I can’t help think that something has happened. A fall out perhaps or a conscious decision to not have any. But why? They are a massive draw.

it’s all a bit odd and a real shame. 

I think we have similar music tastes, at least we have Job Jobse, Midland and Haai (assuming she plays at night somewhere) as some comfort.

Can't say about whats happened with Sasha/Digweed as they are two of the most popular DJs ever and pretty timeless across all ages. Even if cost/availabiltiy was an issue there are plenty of DJs who play a similar style.

I think the simplest answer is that they are going in a different direction which reflects the "in" sound at the moment (DnB)

12 hours ago, Metal Monkey said:

Hoping for a Bonobo live set somewhere as the initial poster didn’t say DJ set. Probably running out of suitable stages to be announced on though. 

Seems unlikely at this point, when he was on the initial poster I imagined an Arcadia Headline DJ slot.

A final Live slot could fit at IICON at best? But again would assume DJ much more likely

I love those melodic lush sunset sets over the years. Warren or Way Out West in the Glade under the trees. Ben Bohmer at Lonely Hearts. Nothing I can see this year.

Can anyone recommend a name I may have missed?

Edited by danbailey80

16 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Mary Anne Hobbs has just said there will be a "listening experience" of Jon Hopkins new album on the Ambient Stage at Glastonbury...

This could be good, assume it will be very chill, but at the right time I'd be down

3 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Any Bicep fan would have figured it out, so not sure what difference it would have made.

was going to obviously spread in group chats etc this far in advance tbh even without them confirming it

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Some nice additions on there from the old skool - The Orb, The Egg, Youth, Plaid, Mixmaster Morris, Steve Hillage & Miquette performing Rainbow Dome Musick - they did that a few years ago at The Glade.

Yeah it is basically a glade (dome) lineup with The Egg and Steve Davis etc 

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've got the "Vocalist 01" album on right now

I haven't got that one, i've probably got all the tracks on other GLR releases though. I put Progression Sessions 1 on instead, might put Logical Progression 4 on after.

45 minutes ago, dumski said:

The whole album is up there in my top 3 but this track with Conrad is a favourite 

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Here's the album opener. Rhymes over "The Western" by PFM

I've got both these on other releases, i'm particularly a fan of Western with Conrad - that's on the all time classic Logical Progression comp. I love the GLR style 'intelligent' D&B, not so much into other D&B though - maybe some old Metalheadz and V Records stuff. 

7 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I love those melodic lush sunset sets over the years. Warren or Way Out West in the Glade under the trees. Ben Bohmer at Lonely Hearts. Nothing I can see this year.

Can anyone recommend a name I may have missed?

Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo in 2016 were so good! I'm sad there's nothing like that this year. Seems unlikely genre to turn up in block 9.

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Really sad news about MC Conrad passing. DnB foundation.

Oh man that’s such sad news. 

I still know every word of his raps on progression sessions. He had a completely different approach to mcing.

He would work with Bukems sets so well and build a journey that had more in common with some of the prog house sets at the time. The first 3 tracks of this is a prime example. 

Edited by danbailey80

24 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Oh man that’s such sad news. 

I still know every word of his raps on progression sessions. He had a completely different approach to mcing.

He would work with Bukems sets so well and build a set that had more in common with some of the prog house sets at the time. The first 3 tracks of this is a prime example. 

Yeah, it was a real shame what happened between them and the whole label fallout. Can't imagine LTJ is feeling particularly good today. They were the tightest duo for 25 years.

Conrad's flow complimented the style of the music perfectly. He knew when to let it roll and when to interject. A rare gift in MCing. 

• Upvote 1

Alrighty!

It's taken a wee bit of time, but I've managed to get through the line-ups for Glade and Silver Hayes now. Asterisks are for would intend to see, depending on rivals.

Glade

I'm pretty disappointed, tbh, but that's no big deal as I know I'll be busy from 1100-0600h most days/nights! But, I love the Glade area and I think the programming this year is very uninspired. For me, a lot of it is safe, easily consumed dance fodder, which is fine, and lots of people will have a fab time. I just think of Glade as one of the remaining slightly edgier areas from a programming persepective. No big deal. For me on the long list:

- Daniel Avery

- Layla Benitez (shameless, populist EDM/tech-lite, but there's something very fun and catchy about her sets online! If I was in the appropriate condition, and she plays something like I've seen, this could be a lot of fun!)

- Effy

And that's kind of it! 🤷🏽‍♂️

Silver Hayes

The Levels

Hmmm! I love that this stage is at Glastonbury now. I saw so many people having a brilliant time in the day when walking to and from Woodsies etc. Not much there to tempt me this year, but:

- Dove (let's be honest, their DJ sets are 'fine'! I could see myself going, but it's going to be ramalamadingdong, and it wouldn't take much elsewhere for me to sack off even the idea!)

- Joy Orbison - ah, but which Joy O? I've seen him a few times and when he's tech, he's outstanding for me. As it's Thursday, I'll likely take a punt on Mr O.

- Bonobo - all depends on timing, but a sunset set could tempt me - bit like this year's Ben Bohmer. We'll see.

- Kelly Lee Owens* - if it's dark, then it would take something pretty solid for me not to be there. She really understands techno.

Lonely Hearts

One of my favourite Glastonbury nights was last year's Saturday on LH. And a wonderful surprise, as its previous programming had held nothing for me. Well, it seems as if 2023 was an aberration! Other than Paranoid London, who I've seen many times, there is nothing for me here. Move on, son.

Assembly

Praise be for Assembly! Very excited at the idea of an indoor venue (presumably hangar-like, at least) in Silver Hayes. Just hope capacity is not a major issue. Anyone remember J.E.S.U.S in Wow in 2015? The most pointless 'dance' set in history. I say 'dance' as no-one in that tent could move a foot, let alone dance! Anyway, Sunday is looking mighty fine, though odd to have Facta & K Lone in that company on the Sunday. Not that line-ups should be too single-genre, but that seems like an odd mood shift. Depends where they put them, I guess.

- Sugar Free & Fonte

- Unai Trotti* (asterisk, assuming he brings his mostly-electro A game!)

- Aurora Halal

- DJ Stingray 313* (lordy, I hope that anyone coming to see this one is there because they appreciate the electro genius of this man)

- Pangaea b2b Tasha*

So, a bit of a mixed bag, with my focus shifting to the new venue (only saw 1 or 2 things in Wow last year) from LH and The Levels, but all good.

Anyone else made reasonably firmish choices yet?

Ben
x

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 4/30/2024 at 12:25 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Some nice additions on there from the old skool - The Orb, The Egg, Youth, Plaid, Mixmaster Morris, Steve Hillage & Miquette performing Rainbow Dome Musick - they did that a few years ago at The Glade.

Do people think all these acts will all do an ambient set or do you think some will do their usual? 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Do people think all these acts will all do an ambient set or do you think some will do their usual? 

The Woodsies poster is pretty specific, I think.

The Orb, Hillage and The Egg are live, the others seem very much to be ambient DJ sets...

Ben