Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I’ve been thinking for a while that they might do Chroma on IICON on the Sat night

I don’t know a huge amount about this stuff… but isn’t IICON all house production? Eg like with Arcadia acts turn up and play but the venue does the video mapping and lights etc? I was thinking that if Bicep were doing Chroma they may need more of a standard stage that they can take over with their own production?

3 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I don’t know a huge amount about this stuff… but isn’t IICON all house production? Eg like with Arcadia acts turn up and play but the venue does the video mapping and lights etc? I was thinking that if Bicep were doing Chroma they may need more of a standard stage that they can take over with their own production?

No idea, tbf

4 hours ago, gordong said:

Arcadia set, Park headliner or IICON maybe? 

Park would be a downgrade from their WH set so doesn't really make sense

Arcadia DJ set non chroma is my bet

-

I don't think IICON can really do Chroma tbh 

When Four tet played IICON last year we got there early to get a good spot. About 30 mins into his set the rest of our mates turned up and could barely get into the SE corner, they certainly couldn't get anywhere near us. Even though where we were there was loads of room and comfortable to dance.

As it happened his set was a little too dark and industrial for me, still enjoyed it but I was hoping for something lighter.

59 minutes ago, themunn said:

Park Headliner I reckon - especially after Leftfield knocked it out the... park... there

This is where they should be but they don't seem to want it i guess

On 1/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, Franky said:

When Four tet played IICON last year we got there early to get a good spot. About 30 mins into his set the rest of our mates turned up and could barely get into the SE corner, they certainly couldn't get anywhere near us. Even though where we were there was loads of room and comfortable to dance.

As it happened his set was a little too dark and industrial for me, still enjoyed it but I was hoping for something lighter.

Was just thinking today how I can’t remember IICON ever feeling even slightly busy. Not saying that’s a bad thing necessarily. I wasn’t there for this four tet set though. 

4 hours ago, golden egg said:

Was just thinking today how I can’t remember IICON ever feeling even slightly busy. Not saying that’s a bad thing necessarily. I wasn’t there for this four tet set though. 

Got reasonably busy for LTJ Bukem last year around midway through his set but nothing crazy. Some would say it's wasted space. I love the fact that it's one of the only late night venues with space to dance. I hope it retains its current music policy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Got reasonably busy for LTJ Bukem last year around midway through his set but nothing crazy. Some would say it's wasted space. I love the fact that it's one of the only late night venues with space to dance. I hope it retains its current music policy 

Yeah I agree. It’s probably my favourite area overall and I love the scheduling there

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 5:45 PM, golden egg said:

It was absolutely rammed, uncomfortably rammed last year on the Friday night for someone or other (can't remember who).

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It was absolutely rammed, uncomfortably rammed last year on the Friday night for someone or other (can't remember who).

Would have been Four Tet, right after headliner time to 2am. 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Would have been Four Tet, right after headliner time to 2am. 

Yea that would have been it.

And as @Franky said, it was too dark and industrial. Not a good vibe.

Anyway I legged it off to dance to the Blessed Madonna, which was ace. So all's well that ends well. 

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Skip997 said:

Yea that would have been it.

And as @Franky said, it was too dark and industrial. Not a good vibe.

Anyway I legged it off to dance to the Blessed Madonna, with was ace. So all's well that ends well. 

We did the same.

Wasn’t the Four Tet set I was hoping for, BM was superb though. 

Four Tet would have been busy but not like roadblock rammed had it not been for Coachella etc just a few months prior i think

Block9 did well with that booking

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Four Tet would have been busy but not like roadblock rammed had it not been for Coachella etc just a few months prior i think

Block9 did well with that booking

Yeah well it turned out to be a very different set to that. Not at all uplifting which I found disappointing after Fred’s set. Had I known he was also on with TBM I would have been over there.

I’ve never really known FT do such a dark set 🤷‍♂️  

4 hours ago, Franky said:

Yeah well it turned out to be a very different set to that. Not at all uplifting which I found disappointing after Fred’s set. Had I known he was also on with TBM I would have been over there.

I wasn't there, but my thought would be that it was on IICON. Block9 are fiercely proud and protective of their programming and the sort of vibes they're trying to create in their different venues. Hugely admirable too, IMO, in these days of homogenous crowd-pleasing.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I wasn't there, but my thought would be that it was on IICON. Block9 are fiercely proud and protective of their programming and the sort of vibes they're trying to create in their different venues. Huge admirable too, IMO, in these days of homogenous crowd-pleasing.

Ben

Hey I’m not saying it was wrong, and I stayed for the whole thing. It just wasn’t to my taste. Which I found personally disappointing. 

8 minutes ago, Franky said:

Hey I’m not saying it was wrong, and I stayed for the whole thing. It just wasn’t to my taste. Which I found personally disappointing. 

Oh gosh, I know, @Franky - sorry if I was sounding like I suggested that! Tbh, I'm a little cross - I'm just not a fan of Four Tet. I've tried, but I find him a bit...gulps...boring! If that was the darkest set people have seen him play, I should have been there!

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I wasn't there, but my thought would be that it was on IICON. Block9 are fiercely proud and protective of their programming and the sort of vibes they're trying to create in their different venues. Hugely admirable too, IMO, in these days of homogenous crowd-pleasing.

Ben

Yep. Don't rock up to IICON hoping for pyro, Love Island piano anthems and jump-up reloads. Expect darker visuals, bleeps, squelches and the more avant garde side of electronica. Even if one third of PHM is gracing the wheels. And long may it continue. It can't all be DnB and tech house. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh gosh, I know, @Franky - sorry if I was sounding like I suggested that! Tbh, I'm a little cross - I'm just not a fan of Four Tet. I've tried, but I find him a bit...gulps...boring! If that was the darkest set people have seen him play, I should have been there!

Ben

All love buddy 🙏

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Franky said:

Four Tet was fri, Fred / TBM was sat

11 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep. Don't rock up to IICON hoping for pyro, Love Island piano anthems and jump-up reloads. Expect darker visuals, bleeps, squelches and the more avant garde side of electronica. Even if one third of PHM is gracing the wheels. And long may it continue. It can't all be DnB and tech house. 

Exactly this... I've given up suggesting it to anyone or taking anyone there.  IICON is for me time, when I want a bit of mind twisting and melting... the others never like it.