Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Not long back from a weekend with some of my boys in Cardiff, went to what was a new venue for me - Cardiff Depot to see Ben Hemsley. Beforehand had heard some pretty negative things about the venue, especially in regards to sound and bar queues, so had gone to the event with pretty low expectations. However, the venue itself absolutely blew all my prior thoughts out of the water, queue to get in (around last entry) wasn't too long at all, security were all very friendly - whilst carrying out relevant searches, the drink lineup was one of the best I've seen for this sort of venue - whilst also being fairly priced (£5/6 a pint) as well as very short queues for the entire night (longest we waited was 10 minutes), the crowd itself was class with hardly any dickheads/trouble makers or people just there to livestream the whole event onto TikTok and Snapchat. The toilets were alright, no worse than any other club/rave venue. We stood in multiple places throughout the evening, and the sound was honestly great everywhere we stood, despite what I had been told beforehand; and the lighting/visuals/Co2 cannons just enhanced all the sets, wasn't an out-of-this-world production, but still pretty damn decent for what is a pretty small venue. Other than that, the whole event was pretty well organised, and I really really look forward to heading back some point soon (hopefully) for another event, really class venue that should definitely be spoken about more. Ben Hemsley himself was class as always, very different set from when I last saw him, and loads of new tunes scattered in amongst all of the crowd favourites - hearing the new song 'Miracle' from Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding has got me even more buzzing for it to be released, it sounded AMAZING live. Then of course we got Erase Me (normal and Creamfields sunset mix) - always a massive massive banger. Looking forward to seeing Ben again soon, either (hopefully) on the farm, or maybe at his show in Plymouth thats happening soon, then also keeping an eye out for some more events at Cardiff Depot, would love to return there. Attached some pics below...

IMG_2185.thumb.jpeg.2236b3574753178ccbd2b88a948658b5.jpeg

IMG_2163.thumb.JPG.d336319c3f8eb012f64b3205598d6c49.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 2/28/2023 at 9:13 PM, bennyhana22 said:

When *did* they last play? Given how relatively active they've been over the last 7 years or so, and how their 1994 Farm set has become a thing of legend, it's amazing that they haven't played in so long. 

Ben

I was at the 2010 set on the Other Stage along with the other 12 people who went to see them. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Orbital but that set was dead and pretty rubbish. 

Not sure what happened. 

Weather was good though, 2010 all over again 💪

12 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Get Charlotte De Witte back on Arcadia and at The Temple to. And Prydz. 

Prydz would be great but he's surely got to be JP for his setup or even somewhere purpose built. glastonbury just doesn't have anywhere for his show imo

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Prydz would be great but he's surely got to be JP for his setup or even somewhere purpose built. glastonbury just doesn't have anywhere for his show imo

He could play IICON. I'm sure the clever souls could do some special video-mapping of his visuals...

Ben

20 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Get Charlotte De Witte back on Arcadia and at The Temple to. And Prydz. 

Charlotte on the Temple would be obscene. 

i'll see you front and centre.

actually really intrigued to see who they put on temple this year, aside from IICON it's my fave venue and experience, i'd go absolutely feral for a bit of BUFO or interplanetary criminal

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

He could play IICON. I'm sure the clever souls could do some special video-mapping of his visuals...

Ben

As in Eric Prydz? I’d say he’s the antithesis of the sort of act thar Iicon book (rightly or wrongly).

i’d wanna see Max Cooper on there ❤️ 

4 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

As in Eric Prydz? I’d say he’s the antithesis of the sort of act thar Iicon book (rightly or wrongly).

i’d wanna see Max Cooper on there ❤️ 

I don't disagree! I was just responding to 'where could he play on the Farm?', in terms of how integral his lights/visuals are to the performance. Is he typical IICON material? No, he certainly is not!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Off to Berlin next week. Anyone got any recommendations for the best club(s) to visit. Very in the mood for some techno, if possible of the ambient variety but I don't mind too much. 

Looking for somewhere I'll be able to get in to without the risk of being turned away after hours of queuing. A friend said the best thing to do is pre-book tickets which I'm fine doing but the choices are overwhelming. 

10 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Off to Berlin next week. Anyone got any recommendations for the best club(s) to visit. Very in the mood for some techno, if possible of the ambient variety but I don't mind too much. 

Looking for somewhere I'll be able to get in to without the risk of being turned away after hours of queuing. A friend said the best thing to do is pre-book tickets which I'm fine doing but the choices are overwhelming. 

I went to Tresor in summer and prebooked (through RA i think), had no issues getting in and nobody seemed to be getting turned away that prebooked unless wearing ridiculous clothing. Didn't wait long either (got in around 1am on a thursday night so could be quite different at the weekend). Had a few rooms playing a variety of techno - some quite heavy

Edited by gfa

11 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Anyone got any recommendations for the best club(s) to visit

47 minutes ago, gfa said:

I went to Tresor in summer

It's been a few years since I've last been but for what it's worth -

Tresor is fantastic. Granted its been a good few years since I last went but can't recall having a problem getting in.

Suicide Circus is great. It isn't as an industrial a setting as tresor and is a bit more mainstream techno but had a great night there

Golden Gate is great if you like small, grimy clubs. It was like a more intense xoyo  from what I remember.

Enjoy, Berlin is my favourite party city!

On 3/7/2023 at 10:30 PM, Franky said:

I was at the 2010 set on the Other Stage along with the other 12 people who went to see them. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Orbital but that set was dead and pretty rubbish. 

Not sure what happened. 

Weather was good though, 2010 all over again 💪

Thought it was fantastic but there you go.. took this crap quality video 

1 hour ago, deschwah said:

Thought it was fantastic but there you go.. took this crap quality video 

That’s an interesting vid actually as my mates and I were right up the front and it seemed as though nobody was there. There was so much room around us. The vibe just didn’t seem right. I’m glad others thought it was good though 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Franky said:

That’s an interesting vid actually as my mates and I were right up the front and it seemed as though nobody was there. There was so much room around us. The vibe just didn’t seem right. I’m glad others thought it was good though 👍

I left Stevie Wonder for Orbital and managed to get pretty near the front. I had a great time from what I can remember 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

I left Stevie Wonder for Orbital and managed to get pretty near the front. I had a great time from what I can remember 

Must have just been us 🤷‍♂️ at least we got to see Dr Who lol 

the fact you got near the front half way through a set says something though.