Glastonbury Festival bans sale of Native American-style headdresses

stardustjunkie

A festival is an occasion for self expression be it wearing no clothes at all, flamboyant outfits, outrageous outfits, shorts and wellies or whatever, it is not just about music and drugs but about individuality, it should not be for society to judge what someone should or shouldn't wear imho

If when i go there i saw someone in a hitler outfit or someone blacked up (i am mixed race and would not be offended) or whatever i would respect their right to individuality and self expression

Nobody's banned from wearing them, that's a different issue, traders are no longer permitted to sell them. You say you'd be fine with people blacking up or dressing as Hitler, it'd be different if somebody was encouraging people to do so and making money off it, wouldn't it?

• Upvote 2

Good news.

Of course there will be people too thick to understand why this is necessary but it's great that the festival organisers aren't among them.

Being too thick to understand, could you give me some guidance on whether any of the following should be considered a no no;

Habits

Nuns outfits

Nurses outfits

Surgeons outfits

Navy outfits

etc

etc

Shall we ban all fancy dress outfits on the strength that they may offend?

• Upvote 2

Being too thick to understand, could you give me some guidance on whether any of the following should be considered a no no;

Habits

Nuns outfits

Nurses outfits

Surgeons outfits

Navy outfits

etc

etc

Shall we ban all fancy dress outfits on the strength that they may offend?

None of those things you list have suffered, and continue to suffer, oppression by invading aggressors as far as I'm aware

• Upvote 3

People miss the point on this so spectacularly it's astonishing.

I agree Dave,

I was born in, and lived for some time in the American Midwest. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with members of the Cheyenne people, and learned a little of their culture and traditions. I now live in Somerset. I find it offensive that people wear headdresses at festivals, or anywhere else, without having earned the right to do so, and without any understanding of their significance.

Yep.

Headdresses have been added to the list of things traders aren’t allowed to sell without prior approval, which includes alcohol, cigarettes, candle flares and flags.

Hang on a sec, "...without prior approval". Unless those other things have just been added to the list as well, cigarettes and flags were certainly on sale at this years festival.

So is this actually a ban or a case of just expressing disapproval?

Hang on a sec, "...without prior approval". Unless those other things have just been added to the list as well, cigarettes and flags were certainly on sale at this years festival.

So is this actually a ban or a case of just expressing disapproval?

you need a license to sell alcohol and cigarettes, which is the prior approval needed. the headdresses and flags seem to be a newly disapproved thing for next year so i wouldn't expect to see any sold at the 2015 festival

Why does the oppression have to be limited to an invading aggresssor? Are you of the opinion that internal aggression isn't as valid?

Sorry, Yog, but I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you suggesting that surgeons are an ethnic minority who are regularly subjected to internal aggression?

you need a license to sell alcohol and cigarettes, which is the prior approval needed. the headdresses and flags seem to be a newly disapproved thing for next year so i wouldn't expect to see any sold at the 2015 festival

Ah, that's a real bonus.

So now we've less chance of getting our views blocked by inappropriate headgear and 'zany' flags. :)

Sorry, Yog, but I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you suggesting that surgeons are an ethnic minority who are regularly subjected to internal aggression?

No. I'm suggesting that nuns, priests etc have been subject to aggression and slaughter. The others are included to provide a viewpoint as to where you draw the line - and what are the accreditations one needs to be able to conclude that one has that right to draw that line?

I agree Dave,

I was born in, and lived for some time in the American Midwest. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with members of the Cheyenne people, and learned a little of their culture and traditions. I now live in Somerset. I find it offensive that people wear headdresses at festivals, or anywhere else, without having earned the right to do so, and without any understanding of their significance.

The other week i wore a policemans helmet to a party, i have not earned the right to wear a police helmet as i am not a serving police officer, should they be banned from Glasto too? Would you be offended by someone wearing a police hat?

Police are killed all the time around the world and are victims of violence etc

• Upvote 5

The other week i wore a policemans helmet to a party, i have not earned the right to wear a police helmet as i am not a serving police officer, should they be banned from Glasto too? Would you be offended by someone wearing a police hat?

Exactly what I'm trying to say. If you take the other option to it's very exrtreme you get this;

130124090131-01-nk-0124-horizontal-galle

There now, everybody's happy.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. If you take the other option to it's very exrtreme you get this;

130124090131-01-nk-0124-horizontal-galle

There now, everybody's happy.

I suspect this vision may not be far from what the self proclaimed "left wingers" of the forum are looking for...

So left, it's right :-)

• Downvote 4

No. For a start, one chooses to be a police officer, not to be a member of a particular set of cultures. So conceptually it's completely different.

And then there's the far more important point that wearing a police helmet doesn't contribute to an intellectual culture in which individual members of various police forces suffer real, avoidable harm from the homogenisation of their distinct cultures.

Russy will probably be along in a bit to tell you that the police tend to be more likely to be agents of oppression than victims of it, too.