Glastonbury Festival bans sale of Native American-style headdresses

stardustjunkie

Good. There you go then, If people get the message then they wouldn't wear them as they would feel a twat doing so, If they don't get the message then it's not a big enough issue.

I was aware of it some time ago through following the Flaming Lips. The culmination of that headdress argument was such that Kliph Scurlock left the band and Wayne Coyne posted a picture of a dog wearing a headdress.

kliph was fired for lacking creative output and bitching and moaning about all the new stuff.

Theres lot of anti religious tshirts sold at the festival.

That's fine so a race of people are now a religion? How many anti-race T-shirts are sold?

To bring up another race issue which has finally been resolved in our recent history - How many people walk around the festival dressed as Golliwogs?

Edited by 5co77ie

kliph was fired for lacking creative output and bitching and moaning about all the new stuff.

That was the revised statement Russy. You know that we were talking about it on here I think at the time.

The original argument started with Waynes new girlfriend posting an instagram picture of herself in a traditional headdress and then Kliph going on to call Wayne a racist. It was later revised (I assume after settling his severence payment) to be about creative output.

Edit - You can sort of see how it played out from here - http://www.stereogum.com/1681280/kliph-scurlock-clarifies-that-wayne-coyne-is-not-racist-regrets-refusing-to-work-with-kesha/news/

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

That's fine so a race of people are now a religion? How many anti-race T-shirts are sold?

Im just pointing out the capacity to offend is still there.

Also this petition. 65 people?! :lol:

Worrying about stereotyping native Amercians?! :lol:

This is gold! Does Chris Morris work at the Glasto press office now?

To bring up another race issue which has finally been resolved in our recent history - How many people walk around the festival dressed as Golliwogs?

Totally different though. Thats just plain racist. Wearing headgear is not. Its (possibly) disrespectful. It would be like wearing someone elses war medal, at worst. Sort of like wearing the faux war clothes they sell tonnes of at Glastonbury.

Its also not just native Americans who wear them either. They're worn globally and have been for millennia.

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

So how many people do you need to point out something's wrong before it's wrong? One person saying it isn't enough? The majority make cultural morality these days?

i don't think it's just the petition, many American bands support the removal of cultural stereotyping and as far back as the 2011 EMP Pop Conference where they had an entire panel on the misappropriation of Native American warfare headdresses - it's been an issue. Better to nip it in the bud now, than face inactivity or a big "Glastonbury does nothing campaign" and the type of Amercian acts Glastonbury attracts are not pop acts but usually have a social or political background - you don't want to go losing them. Hunting caused enough of an issue, imagine what not listening to the rights of a nation would do. As far as I'm aware I'm not aware of one Amerindian who supports the wearing of the war bonnet as a fashion accessory.

There are definately offensive T shirts on sale at the festival. One that made me laugh last year was an Adolf Hitler on Tour T shirt which gave the countries Germany invaded on the back then had 'cancelled' next to Russia.

People are entitled to feel offended but expecting others to conform in order for them not to be offended offends me.

These tend to be people who will feel offended regardless. If you take away their reson to be offended then they will just go find something else to be offended about and harp on about that instead.

• Upvote 1

There are definately offensive T shirts on sale at the festival. One that made me laugh last year was an Adolf Hitler on Tour T shirt which gave the countries Germany invaded on the back then had 'cancelled' next to Russia.

People are entitled to feel offended but expecting others to conform in order for them not to be offended offends me.

These tend to be people who will feel offended regardless. If you take away their reson to be offended then they will just go find something else to be offended about and harp on about that instead.

I notice that you're ignoring all the posts pointing out that this goes far beyond the idea of individual people being 'offended'

As someone who used to wear a headdress at festivals cos in my head it somehow linked to the psychedelic hippie culture and was a symbol of freedom I realise now I was just wrong and looked a dick! (That's coming from someone who wears a helmet with horns down the street to the pub!)

However I think this country's festivals has a bigger problem than people wearing feathers, and it links back to that 'freedom at festivals' I thought it was a symbol of. That issue is highlighted here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/13/nude-women-festivals-reddit_n_5976938.html

Freedom of expression though, innit. Why are you trying to tell people they shouldn't dress as Golliwogs? What are you, some sort of fascist!?

Nope I'm not, I'm saying that anyone that does knows how it may offend people in a way that 30 years ago they wouldn't have necessarily had a clue. feel free to dress as one next year, I won't judge.

and you're free to dress up as someone from Belsen.

Nope I'm not, I'm saying that anyone that does knows how it may offend people in a way that 30 years ago they wouldn't have necessarily had a clue. feel free to dress as one next year, I won't judge.

No, I completely agree with everything you've said, I was being sarcastic. Sorry if that didn't come across. Your willingness to examine your own actions and attitudes is admirable, I had a similar experience myself a few years back.

Is the tipi field cultural appropriation? Should it be banned as it's an amalgamation of many disparate Native American tribe's different cultural artefacts? I.E central North American tipis and northwest North American totem poles? Are you saying they're all the same/all look the same? Can guess the answer to this already: "It's authentic, sweetie, not like those charvs in their headdresses".

That's a tough one I've read there is some pressure in America for festivals to stop using tipis - but i think it's a less powerful 'totem' of the culture than the war-bonnet - I doubt if the sweat lodge, or perish the thought someone wanted to eviscerate themselves in the sun hanging from eagle claws in the chest, or make a medicine wheel, or a totem pole for that matter - would receive quite the same response.

i doubt tobacco, or pipes would be backlashed either - both also from Amerindian tradition.

I think it's more about education, and highlighting that education, and showing support for a cause, rather than control.

Edited by 5co77ie

So we're ok to wear Brazilian carnival headresses? Or Fijian? Samoan? Mexican etc?

What about feather headdresses that are not native American in origin? Used for celebrations? Headgear that doesn't cause offence and is in fact welcomed by anyone and actually encouraged.

I'm glad this lad who started the petition is such an expert on the 10,000 year old history of headresses and can distinguish them all at a glance. He is the first human in world history who is able to do that. He must have dedicated his lifes work to it.

The issue here is with war bonnets. Not "headgear" or "headdresses". To chuck them all in the same pot is more ignorant and racist than the people the petition is aimed at.

• Upvote 3

Theres lot of anti religious tshirts sold at the festival. Thats more offensive than a native American head dress considering the amount of native Americans who attend compared to religious people is rather low one would think.

This is a bullshit thread. Full of stereotypical online mock outrage. Self perpetuating, moral grandstanding nonsense.

^This^

• Upvote 1

To chuck them all in the same pot is more ignorant and racist than the people the petition is aimed at.

From a very good article about the human turd hurricane that is the Gamer Gate fiasco:

"Co-opting the language and posture of grievance is how members of a privileged class express their belief that the way they live shouldn't have to change, that their opponents are hypocrites and perhaps even the real oppressors. This is how you get St. Louisans sincerely explaining that Ferguson protestors are the real racists, and how you end up with an organized group of precisely the same video game enthusiasts to whom an entire industry is catering honestly believing that they're an oppressed minority. From this kind of ideological fortification, you can stage absolutely whatever campaigns you deem necessary."