Younger but more arrogant crowd this year?

Guest muffin

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are loads of people who go to festivals who are not interested in the bands (or at least not the headliners). There really isn't anything wrong with that and in many ways I think the constant media attention on headliners has shifted the focus of the festival in the wrong direction in any case.

I would agree that today's "Drugs of Choice" and the way in which people now indulge to such excess does probably have an impact on the 'vibe'

The predominance of Acid in the past definitely created a totally different atmosphere and in truth the rave culture of the 80's / 90's was a totally different vibe to the culture now, which seems to be one of combining as many substances as possible, chucking them down your neck with a load of alcohol and acting like a bit of a moron (that is not limited to young people, by the way).

Edited by progue

Wern't just the younurn's, just seemed a more arrogant selfish sort of crowd in general from all ages around the Pyramid/John Peel/ Other. Found plenty of older middle class types ramming me with their prams to get past the crowds on top of the NOS gangs. It really is two festivals in one, and the main areas are no different to going V.

I think i noticed it more as I spent to much time in that area of the festival this, as I was camped up in Hitchin Hill so during friday/saturday tended to stay that side of the festival as I cba with the trek. Saturday afternoon I had enough and started venturing out futher and further and spending as little time at the main stages as possible. Felt 100 times better about the festival after that.

As for the native american headdresses, it says all about most wearing them that they are far more popular this year after loads of stories about how offensive the Native Americans find it hit the media this year.

As for the native american headdresses, it says all about most wearing them that they are far more popular this year after loads of stories about how offensive the Native Americans find it hit the media this year.

I think yer right, plenty of old rude people too. Just non-festival goers who don't know what to do at all really.

But yea the headdress thing confused the crap out of me until I watched Lana del Rey and saw her video of her in a headdress, riding bikes being cool.... I don't watch music videos at all, so was complete news to me but knowing how much girls like to mimic other more famous girls... I suspect that's the entirety of the thought that went into it. Probably the same demographic that uttered the great quote from t'other thread not knowing they were on an actual farm

There's two festivals now. There's one held at the Pyramid, Other and John Peel. Then there's the one at the smaller stages like Avalon, Acoustic etc. Two "areas" with very different feels. The battleground is West Holts where you get both - field full of young kids for J5 slightly older crowd for Daptones. Even the South east corner has the older areas - you don't get the really young crowd in the Rocket Lounge for instance.Kind of inevitable with the success of the festival, the sheer size of it and the exposure via TV.

After this year - I'm giving up on the big fields, don't tend to enjoy the bands there as much, don't like the vibe. You could be at any festival anywhere. Doesn't mean I have to stop going or stop loving the place. Also doesn't mean the younger kids that go don't have to be bothered by old farts like me so much.

The young kids nowadays are possibly no more arrogant than young kids have ever been. How many 18 year olds ever think there's a universe outside their own gratification? And why should they at their age?Plenty of time to be as miserable as the rest of us later on. There's just so many of them in a festival this size. Good luck to them - one way or another they're the future of the festival. If they could just be persuaded to pick their shit up.

yeah there are 2 fests and have been for many years: one is nicknamed Babylon [it covers Pyramid/Other/John Peel, where the masses leave, well, masses of rubbish behind]. the other is the rest/the greens, which is a mix of middle class middle classness and the traveller/hippy/green types. the rest/the greens leave very little rubbish behind. the babyloninans, or the shabbylonians, leave tons.

It's not just those young'uns being rude. While waiting for Thunderbirds Are Go up at The Park by the mixing desk I watched some tall old boy in his 60's walk out of nowhere and then moan to some youngish bloke that he was in the spot that he himself always goes in and got all huffy till the bloke moved, looking at the young bloke saying "Are we happy!?" I so wish that would have been me he'd asked as I would have moaned back at him. Cheeky old sod...

There are pricks of all ages. I'm 22 and we had a group of 16-18 year olds near us. All a bit posh, no doubt all expenses paid by the 'rents and they were a little bit annoying. They were rude to those around them and I did hear one or two racist remarks which was a little unpleasant. But equally another group behind us with ages ranging from 30 to late 40s were even worse. All ketted up to their eyeballs so were a bit of a handful just to even sleep near. They all had a proper temper on them as well. But then 90% of other people I encountered were lovely and I found it one of the friendliest years yet. However I can certainly see how much the demographic has changed in Oxlyers. Used to be very mixed a few years back but now very much the "party" campsite.

The whole white people / white girls wearing indian headdress has been something that has annoyed me for years.

There's a post / photo somewhere which sums up my thoughts completely.

You wouldn't wear army badges or medals as fancy dress, so why wear an important piece of headdress that to them is their medal.

Robert plant set at the pyramid we were surrounded by young uns almost competing with each other seeing who can take/do the most nos, trying to take endless selfies, and generally preen each other up. There were girls there putting fake eyelashes on each other (and no not the fairylove ones) and trying to straighten their hair with gas powered straighteners. All talking loudly through Mr Plant's set with some of them loudly asking everyone 'who is he?'

I may sound like a boring fart but all they seemed to be interested in was 'being seen', doing nos cos it's cool apparently and just generally being annoying waiting for jack white. Sorry rant over

i haven't been following the thread so I'm sorry if the discussion has moved on much, but as this was my first GF, my first trip up the hill at the park was memorable for a number of reasons. Some of them obvious, but one that wasn't was a girl(recognisable NW accent) who posed for around 20 mins for her nos taking (another eye opener)boyfriend to take an infinite amount of photos.

Her fake smile and oh so adorable pose made me try my best not to judge her- I unfortunately failed.

Theres great people of all ages and dickheads of al ages, perhaps we should stop making sweeping generalisations and pigeon-holing people into stereotypical genres. Some of the loveliest people I met this weekend were in the 18-25 age group and some of the grumpiest arses were in their older years. I'm slap bang in the middle and can see both, or neither..

• 4 weeks later...

Is it not racist to presume that, just because a girl is white, she cannot believe in a faith or spirituality which uses the bindi?

I wouldn't have the same reaction as Winslow Leach to seeing a white girl with a bindi, but would bet my all on the supposition (yes, it is only that) that the majority of white women wearing bindi's are doing so for fashion reasons only. I suspect it is this that is making Winslow Leach cringe ie he is using the majority as a means of justifying his / her reaction - kind of like a democratic process really.

Back to the original question, I think the change in drug use could be partly responsible. There used to be much more hash/weed/acid/shrooms consumed. That would create more empathy where as coke and alcohol creates the opposite.

Plenty of e around this year, I thought. Hardly any weed at all though, I was shocked.

Some minor thread necromancy as this is back in the news:

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/jul/30/why-the-fashion-headdress-must-be-stopped

Some reservations make and sell headdresses to tourists. It's complicated. There are hundreds of tribes, and each one has a different way of life. What is not offensive to one tribe, is deeply offensive to another.

What would be best is if tribes showed respect to each other and stopped selling these things. But these are largely poor communities so need all the income they can get. And I'm guessing headdresses are best sellers.