Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barcelona arent banned from transfer activity, they are exercising their right to appeal. I would imgaine they would be heavily recruiting this window.

The appeal that was conveniently set after the transfer window, allowing them to stock up on players before the (inevitably reduced) transfer ban comes into effect? They should be banned, I think that was the point that thetime was making.

Edited by mrtourette

The appeal that was conveniently set after the transfer window, allowing them to stock up on players before the (inevitably reduced) transfer ban comes into effect? They should be banned, I think that was the point that thetime was making.

Barcelona didnt make the rules for appeal, the right for appeal was already set in place. Of course the rules are working in their favour in this case, but what can be done about it. CAS are the highest court of appeal for sport, but you cant expect them to put everything to one side, just to fast track a Barcelona appeal through the system.

it's how footie works away from the corruption of FIFA. :P

Have got to say I'll be sorry to see him go. It's a shame that the Prem can't keep any of the best players.

I'd be sorrier if he wasn't a biter or possibly racist.

It's probably more that if Barca/Real Madrid comes calling, you'll go unless your with Man City or Chelsea

Barcelona didnt make the rules for appeal, the right for appeal was already set in place. Of course the rules are working in their favour in this case, but what can be done about it. CAS are the highest court of appeal for sport, but you cant expect them to put everything to one side, just to fast track a Barcelona appeal through the system.

Of course the right for appeal was already in place, but there is no requirement to suspend a ban pending appeal. It has to be requested by the party appealing and granted separately from the appeal. The decision was with the FIFA appeal committe, they decided to grant the suspension of the ban that Barcelona requested at the same time that they registered the appeal. They could have processed the appeal but still upheld the ban in the meantime. The matter hasn't even reached the CAS yet, but because of the concern that the FIFA appeal and subsequent CAS process (should it be required) would not be completed by the time the transfer window opened (and therefore would have meant that should Barcelona been cleared of charges they would have missed a transfer window for nothing) they decided to postopone the whole thing until later in the year. Some consider that suspicious, or at the very least extremely odd that they would have such little faith in an original decision that the punishment suggests they must have been reasonably certain about, obviously you don't but it isn't true that they are being allowed to sign players simply by exercising their right to appeal. The suspension of the ban is on top of that, allowed by FIFA through choice.

Of course the right for appeal was already in place, but there is no requirement to suspend a ban pending appeal. It has to be requested by the party appealing and granted separately from the appeal. The decision was with the FIFA appeal committe, they decided to grant the suspension of the ban that Barcelona requested at the same time that they registered the appeal. They could have processed the appeal but still upheld the ban in the meantime. The matter hasn't even reached the CAS yet, but because of the concern that the FIFA appeal and subsequent CAS process (should it be required) would not be completed by the time the transfer window opened (and therefore would have meant that should Barcelona been cleared of charges they would have missed a transfer window for nothing) they decided to postopone the whole thing until later in the year. Some consider that suspicious, or at the very least extremely odd that they would have such little faith in an original decision that the punishment suggests they must have been reasonably certain about, obviously you don't but it isn't true that they are being allowed to sign players simply by exercising their right to appeal. The suspension of the ban is on top of that, allowed by FIFA through choice.

I was aware (could be wrong) that suspending the ban was what had been done previously, so wasnt necesarily to favour barcelona.

It may not have been to necessarily favour Barcelona, but it also may have been (wink wink). Never let logic get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, as long as the facts don't disprove it then it definitely could have happened.

Edited by mrtourette

it's how footie works away from the corruption of FIFA. :P

Have got to say I'll be sorry to see him go. It's a shame that the Prem can't keep any of the best players.

Agree the premiership has lost some great players in recent years such as Ronaldo, Bale and (probably) Suarez and in my opinion talent coming in, hasn't been as good as talent going out.

Its great having a huge transfer fee, but as clubs like Spurs (with Bale) found you cant always attract the players you need to make up for the big loss. While Liverpool (with champions league football) are a bigger attraction than Spurs, they are still not sitting on the top transfer table with Man C, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern. These teams not only have mopped up a decent proportion of the top players available, they are also looking to get the top players that they haven't acquired.

This will leave the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus, Monaco, Dortmund etc trying to attract the best of the rest. Liverpool will probably have to take the Spurs approach (replace 1 great with 2 or 3 very good) and hope to be more successful/fortunate and improve the squad overall. While also looking to find the next Suarez in the likes of Belgium/Holland.france or Portugal

These teams not only have mopped up a decent proportion of the top players available, they are also looking to get the top players that they haven't acquired.

Not only that, they hoover up young players they think might be part of that then either send them out on loan or leave them rotting on the bench.

I see Liverpool have spent another £10M (so £40M this window now), this time on Emre Can from Bayer Leverkusen. I don't have a clue what he's like, but he needs to have better prospects than nearly every other Rodgers signing.

And is 'Arry really gonna sign bad-back Rio? There's no mug like 'Arry (tho here's betting there's a cut somewhere for him).

Edited by eFestivals

I see Liverpool have spent another £10M (so £40M this window now), this time on Emre Can from Bayer Leverkusen. I don't have a clue what he's like, but he needs to have better prospects than nearly every other Rodgers signing.

And is 'Arry really gonna sign bad-back Rio? There's no mug like 'Arry (tho here's betting there's a cut somewhere for him).

He does seem a really good prospect. I think he'll be a good signing. More defensive than any of Liverpool's current CM's, too, so should help their defense out more.

He was playing when United beat leverkusen away 5-0, Valencia had a field day.

Good prospect if Valencia can destroy you.

Looks very likely that Sanchez will go to Arsenal I think. His agent even followed the Arsenal Twitter account and a bunch of Arsenal players the other day, although he could just be stirring shit. Has been well documented that Sanchez didn't want to go to Liverpool, although those reports could easily be inaccurate.

yep, me too.

That was a feckin' shrewd new contract they gave him a few months ago - they hadn't even started paying him the higher wages yet. :lol:

I don't understand why clubs don't nail players down to long contracts, especially those who hold big value. I am sure it's cost clubs big money in the past, rvp springs to mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was agreed between Liverpool and Suarez that he could leave this sumner, Hopefully it's the same case for Rooney when he signed his contract.

Edited by thetime

I've been reading £63m everywhere. That's about 80m, right?

Spanish press reporting 75 million euros and the Liverpool echo £75 million.. Not sure where the mirror and indy are getting their conversion from as due to the strength in the pound recently its down to £59.25m this morning.

Edited by lost