Friday other stage opener

Guest nufc1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bloody hope it's not The Klaxons, would be such an anti-climax. I think Franz Ferdinand are most likely. They have a festival show in France that night, but could easily make it over in time. They might not be on until really late in France.

it's a tough one this, because it needs to be a band big enough to justify such a slot (i mean, Klaxons? who'd give a shit?) but not so big that you don't just wonder why they weren't at the top end of the bill to begin with. a Jack White guise is a good guess i reckon

They really don't. They got put on Radio One and debuted their single and everyone listened to it and forgot they existed again, so despite parading themselves on mainstream radio for a bit they still couldn't grab the press or imagination of listeners. They're very much a band of their time and will never ever be anything more than a niche/cult band these days.

It was a bullshit scene, but given my age at the time, I found myself a fan of a lot of bands in the 'scene'

Klaxons, CSS, New Young Pony Club, Sunshine Underground, Shy Child, The Rapture & LCD Soundsystem

I liked them all at some point, and still have nostalgia for their debut albums. But none of them were really part of a 'Nu-Rave' movement it was just NME connecting bands that had synth and electronic elements combined with indie rock. And yes, despite the last 2 bands being far superior to the rest, they were both considered Nu-Rave at the time.

I hated the fashion more than the music, glad it died off, it felt like a stereotype of futuristic fashion.

last year i camped just over the hill from Other so popped my head over, saw the 'Beady Eye' banner and then went right back to camp. probably won't be in the same spot this year so will have to make some effort to get up and see whoever this is. hopefully it'll be worth it - if i drag myself to the Other only to see some awful bands name draped over the back of the stage i won't be best pleased (although honestly i can't imagine it being anybody i'm that interested in - Suede is the best possible outcome for me i reckon)

Here's a wonderfully leftfield suggestion... The Seekers.

Fantastic band, lots of massive hits, on a farewell tour (unlikely to come back to Britain ever again) and their last concert here is 3rd June. Went to see them in Bournemouth last night and they were fantastic... Couldn't help thinking they'd go down brilliantly on a sunny day.

Altogether now... Rocking, rolling, riding....