Friday other stage opener

Guest nufc1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you learnt noting about glastonbury? They shit on your hopes and dreams .... They don't book the acts that you want the surprises are a piss in the face for most of you, not for me, I wanted the dead weather, not fucking muse or whatever it is

The last time this happened you got t hat Liam Gallagher band.... So it won't be the libs who are raking it in for Hyde park etc. it's probably bitty clyro or some similar w*nk

Coldplay, Biffy and even The Libertines - irrespective of their merits or otherwise - are simply too big for H&S to allow the possibility of a Twitter-induced stampede of 30,000 people to the Other stage. It's gonna be someone smaller, but that people have heard of, likely willing to play to plug a new record. PSBs need darkness, really. Not an 11am band. Franz are a right fit, but I don't think it will be them (friend of a friend is all I have to go on). Totally left field suggestion (were quite big, new record coming out) - why not La Roux?

JG

Coldplay, Biffy and even The Libertines - irrespective of their merits or otherwise - are simply too big for H&S to allow the possibility of a Twitter-induced stampede of 30,000 people to the Other stage. It's gonna be someone smaller, but that people have heard of, likely willing to play to plug a new record. PSBs need darkness, really. Not an 11am band. Franz are a right fit, but I don't think it will be them (friend of a friend is all I have to go on). Totally left field suggestion (were quite big, new record coming out) - why not La Roux?

JG

In a way i'm kinda glad there wasn't any massive high profile secret set, just because the rumour mill was spiralling out of control so much about Daft Punk etc.

It's very unrealistic to expect them to churn out a blockbuster secret set year in year out.

That is why I am not holding out for anything particularly special on that Friday morning, The Libertines would be awesome but that is very wishful speaking. Someone suggested Franz Ferdinand before, I think that is a much more sensible bet, it will most likely be someone like them who are not a jaw-dropping showstopper, just a nice surprise by a fairly well known name to start the weekend with, like Beady Eye last year.

I will be there at 11am on the Friday just in the extremely unlikely event that somebody huge does turn up, but I am not getting my hopes up

JG

For me, booking Beady Eye last year meant the opening slot provided a high profile name, who would play recognisable hits (I thoroughly enjoyed Rock & Roll Star as I ate my tinned full english breakfast). I'm sure the same will happen this year, someone established who can deliver hits and get the crowd going. Otherwise, I don't really see the point in it being a surprise.

Edit: This is why I'm leaning towards the Franz Ferdinand end of the rumours.

Edited by Mr November