no big screen World Cup this year

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be shown in some bars, areas with small screens and burger vans around the site so people won't have to leave to watch if they are desperate. But like everyone has said England are unlikely to get that far and with it being late in the day most people's interest will have reduced as the more festival spirit they take in makes them forget about footy...

Sorry to go all football discussion on you all but I have no idea why everyone is overrating Uruguay so much. They have two big names up top but aside from that they are filth. Barely qualified.

I'll have a tenner with any of you that they finish below england (to be settled at the festival).

Would never consider missing an act I wanted to see to watch football. Leaving early on the Sunday evening would also be out of the question. Do somewhat understand both the clamour to see the games such is the enormity of the tournament and the disappointment of those had expected some sort of access.

I would say to those getting very upset or even angry by the lack of the football being shown to remember where they're going. Regardless of whether Glastonbury showed games in 2010, to have assumed they would again when booking tickets is naive. If it was ever going to be that much of an issue, I would have suggested not going to begin with.

Having said that, people on this thread have mentioned the possibility of individual bars showing games across the week. Any idea if this would be the case on Wednesday and Thursday in particular even though they are days when England are not playing? If so does anyone know of where they might be? *prepares tin hat*

It will be shown in some bars, areas with small screens and burger vans around the site so people won't have to leave to watch if they are desperate. But like everyone has said England are unlikely to get that far and with it being late in the day most people's interest will have reduced as the more festival spirit they take in makes them forget about footy...

Couldn't really care less about them showing it or not. you go to GLasto to forget about everything in the outside world. and to be quite frank with the amount of acts i want to see on that poster i really don't think i'd have the time if i was even slightly interested.

I'll be watching a crapload of football before the festival, setting the matches or at least the highlights to record for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday's games, then watching a crapload of football after the festival.

I adore the World Cup, but I can put it on hold for a few days, because those 5 days in June belong to Glastonbury.

Edited by Simpo

Couldn't really care less about them showing it or not. I go to GLasto to forget about everything in the outside world. and to be quite frank with the amount of acts i want to see on that poster i really don't think i'd have the time if i was even slightly interested.

Edited by Englishdragon

Probably the right decision based on the times of the matches but people saying we have zero chance of qualifying anyway need to think about this.

Liverpool had zero chance of winning the league at the start of the season and now are in a great position to do it. England only need to get through 3 games to qualify, 1 good performance, a boring draw against Italy and 1 game where we play rubbish but get a result is all it takes and we are through.

I hope we do get through, nothing better to cure the Glasto hangover than at home with a few beers and freinds cheering on England.

If England play on the Sat, and the headliners are Metallica, Pixies, and Brian Ferry, I imagine it will take a strong, current JP headliner to stop a fair few people hunting down the game.

As for England - I think people are writing us off too soon (probably for the best, media-hype wise). Easily our best team since the Sven era, and Liverpool's success will give us a massive boost. Just a shame Walcott is injured.

Edited by Lubic87

personally I loved watching England on the Wednesday afternoon 2010, it was red hot and the atmosphere was brilliant, for me the headliners this year i wouldnt bother with, not saying i would go to watch the match either, but i think the choice should be there

Edited by tinktink

If it was the World Cup final it'd be a different matter, but we're talking about the second round! Glastonbury not showing it sounds like a win/win scenario to me.

If England get there, and then win, you've seen a band you like, England have won & you'll get to watch them in the QF.

If England get there, and lose, you've not missed a band you like to watch England lose.

If it was the World Cup final it'd be a different matter, but we're talking about the second round! Glastonbury not showing it sounds like a win/win scenario to me.

If England get there, and then win, you've seen a band you like, England have won & you'll get to watch them in the QF.

If England get there, and lose, you've not missed a band you like to watch England lose.

2010 was the first year they did the "open carpark on tuesday night" thing, partially I believe due to the world cup. I wish they hadn't, all that results now is a quickly filled up campsite and a lot of very knackered people on wednesday.

• 2 months later...

In fact there was one bar where they had put up a rather big screen this year. It was the Green Bar, at the Williams Green field. After watching Dolly Parton, we went over there to see the 2nd half of Holland - Mexico, together with 40-50 fellow Dutchmen and a bunch of Mexicans. A perfect ending of Glastonbury Festival for eveybody dressee up in Orange :)

Edited by rinzeanne