no big screen World Cup this year

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah don't know everyone is usually forced to sit and watch it when they show it.

The only thing I am annoyed about this decision by, is the smugness of the football at a festival haters. (Already out in force I see :P). Not bothered by the actual decision, as 9pm there is likely not anything I'd give up for it.

Unlikely there will even be a England match anyway :P

Nah don't know everyone is usually forced to sit and watch it when they show it.

The only thing I am annoyed about this decision by, is the smugness of the football at a festival haters. (Already out in force I see :P). Not bothered by the actual decision, as 9pm there is likely not anything I'd give up for it.

Unlikely there will even be a England match anyway :P

I never understood why people missed Slash, Ray Davies etc to watch the England v Germany game. Glastonbury isn't the place to tuck yourself away for a couple of hours watching telly.

Anyway, if England do manage to qualify it'll be a game against either Greece, Columbia, Japan or Ivory Coast. Hardly worth missing Metallica for!

I never understood why people missed Slash, Ray Davies etc to watch the England v Germany game. Glastonbury isn't the place to tuck yourself away for a couple of hours watching telly.

Anyway, if England do manage to qualify it'll be a game against either Greece, Columbia, Japan or Ivory Coast. Hardly worth missing Metallica for!

Are they? Really?

Seems to me like you are making things up.

Most people wouldnt want to see any right wing speakers given a platform in the leftfield for example.

Many people would like the festival to be a sports free zone.

It is a myth that "everyone" wants the festival to be completely open to everyone and everything.

Edited by mrtourette

It's unfortunate that the potential games fell at headliner times, I think 2010 showed that they would have shown it eithier early in the day, or any time had it fallen on the wednesday or thursday.

I wouldn't have missed a big headliner for it (I would say unless there was really noone I wanted to watch, but i've been going for 5 years and never had that problem yet) but I do enjoy the atmosphere and excitement of watching it with thousands of other's in a big open space.

Still it's probably for the best and the way the draw has worked out, I can't see us making the 2nd round anyway but if we do, I fully expect us to make the quarter final which I'll be able to watch when I get home :)

Must admit i enjoyed the England game on the Wednesday in 2010. It was the first day of my first visit to glastonbury, and it really stunned me to see the Pyramid field full of people for the first time. The atmosphere was great too, much friendlier than watching a match in most pubs. I didn't even consider watching the Germany game, though, far too many better things to do and see. I heard the result, just shrugged and got on with having a great time.

I've no problem with matches being shown actually. The only thing that would bug me is if every bar on site had big screen tv so people couldn't avoid it if they wanted to. Don't imagine this ever happening at glastonbury, fortunately.

Did they do anything for it in 2002? That would've been the Japan/Korea world cup when matches were on very early in the morning.

May have considered going to watch it then and forego a couple of hours milling about the campsite. Would never go out of my way to watch it once the festival was in full flow.

I think, and I do flip flop a bit and can see all the arguments that ultimately this is the right decision. I'm well aware of all the arguments but essentially, I'm not sure it comes under the banner of 'contemporary performing arts'. Also, I'm delighted they've decided now and everybody will know, allowing people to make the choice they want to make, I can't halp but feel that those big screens of football do slightly detract from all the other stuff going on. 2010 being a good case in point.

This is the new diplomatic, politic me, I'm going to try and refrain from calling anyone a shower of c**ts. It's alright y'know.

Did they do anything for it in 2002? That would've been the Japan/Korea world cup when matches were on very early in the morning.

May have considered going to watch it then and forego a couple of hours milling about the campsite. Would never go out of my way to watch it once the festival was in full flow.

I was sat in the Pyramid field waiting for something on the Sunday morning (can't remember what) and unannounced they whacked on the second half of the final. Was quite good fun and friendly, as we were watching the Brazilians knocking in the final nails against the Germans, so everyone united pretty quickly behind the Brazilians as the goals went in!