Prince London Dates in Feb

Guest airwaves

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Damon Albarn still relevant? I don't know on this one.

On one hand, he's not re-hashing old material, Under the Westway is generally considered as good as any of the Blur songs from the '90s. More than that, Plastic Beach went in at number 2 here and in the US. And he's only just releasing his debut album.

On the other hand, Plastic Beach was 4 years ago, that last solo song was pretty poor. And let's not jump to record sales as a barometer of relevance; the Number 7 selling album of last year, straight in at number one was - Rod Stewart.

So, is Damon relevant? I'm particularly interested in what the under-25s think.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

i'd say Damon's still relevant. will his new album be relevant musically? who knows. but the announcement of his solo album / festival dates sparked an awful lot of interest so his name, at least, is still relevant (especially if festivals are putting him at the top of their bills)

all this 'relevant' talk is nonsense anyway. an act is only as relevant as the audience willing to listen to their music / watch them live. if people are still interested in an act, then surely relevance means nothing

Oh of course there is. But all I can tell you is that I saw Prince at hop farm as someone who thought he had a few good tunes (and if I'd liked him 20 years ago I'd have had excellent taste for someone of an age more associated with The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and left thinking he was the best live performer I've ever seen. Not the most relevant, just the best.