The National

Zoo Music Girl

I'd say you're probably asking the wrong people, mate.

Also, at a festival, couldn't you just go and see someone else?

I'd say I probably am, why would you all be on The National Thread if your not fans of The National besides talking about tickets.

I probably would go somewhere else then.

I'm not too sure why people are comparing them to Arcade Fire as IMO Arcade Fire are in a league of their own when it comes down to this sort of music.

Perhaps the magic to their music hasn't clicked with me yet.

Edited by willutalk

I'd say I probably am, why would you all be on The National Thread if your not fans of The National besides talking about tickets.

I'm not too sure why people are comparing them to Arcade Fire as IMO Arcade Fire are in a league of their own when it comes down to this sort of music.

Well, quite.

Horses for courses innit. I love Arcade Fire, but I think The National are a million times the band they'll ever be.

Look at this setlist!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2014/prospect-park-brooklyn-ny-3bc058bc.html

Lit Up and Baby, We'll Be Fine! Beautiful stuff.

Could do without Ada, though; that seems to be creeping in all over the place.

crikey daughters of the soho riots, I'd give my right conker to see that played.

might have to get tickets for this o2 gig on the off chance...

crikey daughters of the soho riots, I'd give my right conker to see that played.

might have to get tickets for this o2 gig on the off chance...

It'll be a massively long setlist and you'll definitely get some oldies. Do it!

All over this London gig. Still haven't seen Wild Beasts either so will be a good night. Can't wait already. I don't mind the 02 either - I've seen Jay-Z/Kanye and Black Keys there and enjoyed both.

Yeah, Wild Beasts seem a great support. Back in the halcyon days when I hoped The National would headline the Other stage, I always pictured Wild Beasts as support. Ha.

Perservere. It took ages for me to 'get' them. I'm still not a full convert but love the last album (though I know it's not the hardcore lots favourite).

For me, they're one of them bands you have to be in a certain mood to listen too. Not necessarily a bad thing. On that basis, the last album grew on me while listening on dark winter nights as opposed to sunny summer afternoons.

If that makes sense?

Think I definitely will. I still cant really get into the latest album though. I need to persevere further I think. I cant put my finger on why I dont like it though,

Sit in the sun, put on repeat and read Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero. It really brought the record together for me last summer.

Think I definitely will. I still cant really get into the latest album though. I need to persevere further I think. I cant put my finger on why I dont like it though,

I've said this to you before, and you never listen, but seeing it live was what made it click for me. My love of the album increased tenfold after that gig. It's still not my favourite but I bloody love it now.

This sort of music?

Bottle and a half of wine, face down on the rug on your bedroom/living room floor, lights off, headphones on. Sorted.

• Upvote 1

Delighted with this, thought I’d missed out on any chance of seeing them again for a long while. The O2 is huge though, isn’t it? Guess I hadn’t quite grasped how big they’ve got.

As for comparisons with Arcade Fire, The National are the only band that come close to evoking as much feeling, for me. I think they’re sometimes associated with each other because they're friends and there's a big overlap in terms of fan bases, but musically they’re nothing alike at all, so shouldn’t really be grouped together as ‘this sort of music’.

Just a reference to not listening to others.

Ah, yes. Well, it rather depends who those others are :P

And bocumaroy, I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I think willutalk, being an avid metaller, probably meant "this kind of music" in the very broadest sense. In Matt Berninger's words, "indie rock", I guess.

Hope the slow sell-out predictions are true; I could do without the stress!