The National

Zoo Music Girl

problem is the sort of album they need to make that would propel them into the stratosphere would most likely be an album we would hate...can you imagine a national album full of "one day like this"'s

Yeah, good point. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that their music is as popular as it is. Not because I don't think it's amazing but because it's not like Elbow.

I wouldn't go to Sydney for a gig - such a plastic town. I was at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne, a wondrous outdoor arena. Saw Nick and Arcade Fire there too. Melbourne is a lot more Anglo-European in its outlook... As a side gloat (please let me off, I'm devastated about missing Interpol at the Roundhouse), I just found out that War on Drugs are headlining a day of my local boutique festival in December. I recommend checking it out, for anyone who's ever gonna be in the area that time of year... http://2014.mmf.com.au

I wouldn't go to Sydney for a gig - such a plastic town. I was at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne, a wondrous outdoor arena. Saw Nick and Arcade Fire there too. Melbourne is a lot more Anglo-European in its outlook... As a side gloat (please let me off, I'm devastated about missing Interpol at the Roundhouse), I just found out that War on Drugs are headlining a day of my local boutique festival in December. I recommend checking it out, for anyone who's ever gonna be in the area that time of year... http://2014.mmf.com.au

Ah, I apologise for casting aspersions!

As a side note, I'm visiting both Melbourne and Sydney in a few months. Got any good recommendations for drinking/live music on a smaller scale?

Indeed I do, feel free to hit me up. Cherry Bar is a must. Real dive bar, loads of really good local music. On ACDC lane as it happens... Ding Dong and Old Bar are top places for local stuff too. Corner Hotel is a 750 capacity venue where I've seen Ash, Jagwar Ma and Biffy in the last year. Yes. Biffy. In a pub. Few decent mid sized venues as well, though arguably the best, the Palais Theatre has just gone exactly the same way as the Astoria :-/ Fuck "progress".

• Upvote 1

Indeed I do, feel free to hit me up. Cherry Bar is a must. Real dive bar, loads of really good local music. On ACDC lane as it happens... Ding Dong and Old Bar are top places for local stuff too. Corner Hotel is a 750 capacity venue where I've seen Ash, Jagwar Ma and Biffy in the last year. Yes. Biffy. In a pub. Few decent mid sized venues as well, though arguably the best, the Palais Theatre has just gone exactly the same way as the Astoria :-/ Fuck "progress".

Cheers for the recommendations! :) Very helpful. It'd be nice to see some local music.

• Upvote 1

Opening with those three tracks is just weird, though. I can understand them peppering a few obscure songs throughout the set but doing three to kick off? It's the first time I've seen a setlist that didn't open with Don't Swallow The Cap and I Should Live In Salt in ages.

That said, I do like a few curveballs and they are one of those bands who could literally play anything and I'd be happy :)

Damn just bought it!

Still worth it. :D

Feel almost sorry for those looking forward to Mistaken For Strangers. Such a let down. Mainly because his brother is a massive bell end, about as likeable as Adrian Chiles

Crazy. I think in rock music docs stakes it gives Dig! a good run for it's money, which is pretty laudable. His brother's great too.

Edited by dentalplan

That was really good. At first it seemed pretty aimless and repetitive, but it develops into a really poignant story about the relationship between Matt and Tom. Having The National's music played constantly throughout probably helped, there. Also, I love I Should Live In Salt even more now.

It probably wouldn’t have worked it it wasn’t so funny. The bathroom mirror scene towards the end had me in stitches.

Oh, and several seconds of Annie Clark!

Watched the documentary last night, must say I really enjoyed it. I only really started listening to the National within the last year or so, so I was kind of expecting something that got me to know the members of the band a bit more but other than that I really thought it was a great documentary.

I thought his brother was extremely likeable imo, albeit in a Dale from Step brothers, slacker, screw-up type way. Certainly didn't expect it to be as funny as it was.

"HEY MOBY" :D

I bloody loved it. Seen it twice, once at the ICA and once in Hyde Park. I think it's weird people expecting it to be mainly about the band because it's never been billed as that. It's always been a film about the brothers. I loved it, adored Tom and found it really moving. I think if you have siblings there's a lot to relate to in there.