The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just got back to Europe from following them around their tour down under - they really are on the form of their lives right now. Setlists are getting mixed up and they just seem to be having so much fun at each show. As somebody who was also disappointed in the 2017 performance, I really expect their slot this summer to go down a lot better - I'd anticipate there's less casuals at the set and the live stuff has just gone up a few notches since then. In particular Eucalyptus, About Today, Smoke Detector, November and Vanderlyle have been so good live on the NZ/Oz tour. High Violet on Sunday was a superb way to finish the tour (and kinda weird to hear Vanderlyle not just sung along by the crowd!).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, nickkkw said:

Just got back to Europe from following them around their tour down under - they really are on the form of their lives right now. Setlists are getting mixed up and they just seem to be having so much fun at each show. As somebody who was also disappointed in the 2017 performance, I really expect their slot this summer to go down a lot better - I'd anticipate there's less casuals at the set and the live stuff has just gone up a few notches since then. In particular Eucalyptus, About Today, Smoke Detector, November and Vanderlyle have been so good live on the NZ/Oz tour. High Violet on Sunday was a superb way to finish the tour (and kinda weird to hear Vanderlyle not just sung along by the crowd!).

That would be a nice change.

I'm so excited that I'll get to finish glasto with one of my favourite bands. 

2 thoughts I had. 

1. Given that phoebe bridgers guests on songs with SZA and The National does that mean she might turn up live? I think it is unlikely but outside chance. 

2. If The National play their cards right with the "right " setlist and performance they won't have a better opportunity to cross over to a broader audience in the UK. I think they are either as big as a medium size band can be (or as big as a cult band can be). With good BBC coverage they might just take it up to the next level. 

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

2. If The National play their cards right with the "right " setlist and performance they won't have a better opportunity to cross over to a broader audience in the UK. I think they are either as big as a medium size band can be (or as big as a cult band can be). With good BBC coverage they might just take it up to the next level. 

But getting the set right is the problem to mass appeal. Their fans (including me) like the fact that they throw in album tracks/deep cuts and as much as I loved seeing the one night at Ally Pally that I went to, I also thought I missed out on some fav tracks on the other night. 

Not sure they have a greatest hits but doubt that if they came out and played there best tracks, most easy listening ones, they would pick up loads of new fans who might not even know who they are but just watch what ever comes on the BBC coverage. However, are they the sort of band to do that? or will they curate a set their fans will like but will leave others wondering what all the fuss is about.

Looking at their recent Festival setlists and taken into account new songs I expect they will have the top 14 and then 2 from the lower list and then maybe 1/2 newer/random ones.

Terrible Love
Mr. November
Bloodbuzz Ohio
England
Eucalyptus
Fake Empire
Graceless
Tropic Morning News
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
I Need My Girl
Don't Swallow the Cap
Slow Show
Day I Die
Light Years

Alien
About Today
Pink Rabbits
Weird Goodbyes
Mistaken For Strangers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dales said:

But getting the set right is the problem to mass appeal. Their fans (including me) like the fact that they throw in album tracks/deep cuts and as much as I loved seeing the one night at Ally Pally that I went to, I also thought I missed out on some fav tracks on the other night. 

Not sure they have a greatest hits but doubt that if they came out and played there best tracks, most easy listening ones, they would pick up loads of new fans who might not even know who they are but just watch what ever comes on the BBC coverage. However, are they the sort of band to do that? or will they curate a set their fans will like but will leave others wondering what all the fuss is about.

Oh yeah, for sure, I don't think I could tell you what the right set would be, but for headlining the other stage at glasto it is closer to the first night at ally pally than the second one imho. Although mega fans will always want the deeper cuts. 

I reckon they'll get the balance the right. They have so much to choose from now and I love that they mix up the setlists so much. 

1 minute ago, Ashl said:

Looking at their recent Festival setlists and taken into account new songs I expect they will have the top 14 and then 2 from the lower list and then maybe 1/2 newer/random ones.

Terrible Love
Mr. November
Bloodbuzz Ohio
England
Eucalyptus
Fake Empire
Graceless
Tropic Morning News
I Need My Girl
Don't Swallow the Cap
Slow Show
Day I Die
Light Years

Alien
About Today
Pink Rabbits
Weird Goodbyes
Mistaken For Strangers

Yeah that looks like it works for festivals. 

I really want Deep End (Paul's in pieces) from the last album. 

4 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah that looks like it works for festivals. 

I really want Deep End (Paul's in pieces) from the last album. 

Luckily I got that Ally Pally Day 2, would love it again though!

3 hours ago, Ashl said:

Terrible Love
Mr. November
Bloodbuzz Ohio
England
Eucalyptus
Fake Empire
Graceless
Tropic Morning News
I Need My Girl
Don't Swallow the Cap
Slow Show
Day I Die
Light Years

Alien
About Today
Pink Rabbits
Weird Goodbyes
Mistaken For Strangers

My guess for Glasto would be something like this in order:
Once Upon a Poolside
Eucalyptus
Tropic Morning News
System Only Dreams
Bloodbuzz
I Need My Girl
Graceless
Space Invader
Alien
Day I Die
England
Fake Empire
Terrible Love
Mr November
About Today
Vanderlyle

Slightly condensed version of their recent tour sets and focusing on the more obvious and popular songs - I reckon the above would win over a few. And maybe they throw in Bat Child if they've polished it enough by then.

Edited by nickkkw
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dales said:

There’s definitely an opportunity there, they just need to make the setlist very heavy on their better known songs. Don’t do what they did on the Pyramid in 2017.

6 hours ago, Ashl said:

Terrible Love
Mr. November
Bloodbuzz Ohio
England
Eucalyptus
Fake Empire
Graceless
Tropic Morning News
I Need My Girl
Don't Swallow the Cap
Slow Show
Day I Die
Light Years

Alien
About Today
Pink Rabbits
Weird Goodbyes
Mistaken For Strangers

Not sure how you worked it out, but I would expect a couple more from the recent albums, like Space Invader and Smoke Detector. 

7 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Oh yeah, for sure, I don't think I could tell you what the right set would be, but for headlining the other stage at glasto it is closer to the first night at ally pally than the second one imho. Although mega fans will always want the deeper cuts. 

I reckon they'll get the balance the right. They have so much to choose from now and I love that they mix up the setlists so much. 

And then presumably some of the following UK shows in the likes of Cardiff, Manchester & Crystal Palace will be a better shout for many if any deep cuts.

15 minutes ago, wairey said:

I’m 27 and have never heard of the National. Where is a good place to start? There are no Sunday headliners screaming at me so I’m a ‘swing voter’ as it stands

Imo their best album is High Violet, though a lot of their most accessible songs are also on Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, nikkic said:

How many tracks would an Other headliner play? 

15-16? Or more? 

They should get 1.5 hours - on the recent tour they were playing for 2 hours 15 roughly which most nights was 26 songs. So maybe closer to 18 (depending on the songs of course!).

53 minutes ago, wairey said:

I’m 27 and have never heard of the National. Where is a good place to start? There are no Sunday headliners screaming at me so I’m a ‘swing voter’ as it stands

As a first listen, tracks I'd recommend to get you started would be Mr November, Day I Die, England, Eucalyptus (very very good live), I Need My Girl & Mistaken For Strangers. Most of those would get played at Glasto too & if you enjoy, then just branch out and check what's frequently popping up on the recent setlists here - hope you enjoy!

23 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Not sure how you worked it out, but I would expect a couple more from the recent albums, like Space Invader and Smoke Detector. 

Would love Smoke Detector, mixture of their last festival sets with what has had heaviest rotation in Setlists this year.