Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Despite appearances, Cave has always considered himself conservative in temperament, ‘but also contrary in temperament too’. On the day we met he had spent the morning reading the collected writings of the conservative columnist Andrew Sullivan. Cave, a fan, says he admires the fact that Sullivan occupies a position which is neither extreme Left, nor extreme Right, ‘and he expresses it in a beautifully nuanced way, whether you agree with it or not. There is something there about the idea of uncertainty and calmness and caution that I like.’

Writing in The Red Hand Files in October 2019, Cave talked of feeling ‘uncomfortable around all ideologies that brand themselves as “the truth” or “the way”. This not only includes most religions, but also atheism, radical bipartisan politics or any system of thought, including “woke” culture, that finds its energy in self-righteous belief and the suppression of contrary systems of thought. Regardless of the virtuous intentions of many woke issues, it is its lack of humility and the paternalistic and doctrinal sureness of its claims that repel me.’

Now he says, ‘I do find I react badly to people’s certainty about what’s wrong with the world, and that you’d better toe the line about these sorts of things or you’re on the wrong side of history – whatever that might be.’

ps. for any paywalled websites there's something called 12ft.io which lets you read it without a subscription 🙂

• Upvote 2

Easiest way to bypass paywalls like this is to paste and enter the url, and press the x top right before it’s finished loading. The url address for this article is:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/interviews/nick-cave-difficult-anything-grieving-father/

Regarding Cave, he certainly comes across as quite conservative, bordering on right wing at times (seem to recall him knocking woke culture a year or two ago). I’m not suggesting he is bigoted, but he certainly isn’t bowing to the left.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

Easiest way to bypass paywalls like this is to paste and enter the url, and press the x top right before it’s finished loading. The url address for this article is:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/interviews/nick-cave-difficult-anything-grieving-father/

Regarding Cave, he certainly comes across as quite conservative, bordering on right wing at times (seem to recall him knocking woke culture a year or two ago). I’m not suggesting he is bigoted, but he certainly isn’t bowing to the left.

The easiest way is to just use a site proxy that gives you the cached version, save the proxy site to your bookmarks.