Nick Cave

Midnight Man

23 hours ago, carlosj said:

The book tour is out, with 8 signings and 1 Q&A.

https://linktr.ee/FaithHopeCarnage

I'd be keen for this but have plans on the London night sadly. I think I have the book on pre-order.

Many people here going to APE? I won tickets so will be there on the 28th for my second dose of Cave this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this in APE thread too but my thoughts on yesterday:

Had a decent day yesterday. Cave was incredible as ever. We watched from quite far back and there was tons of space around us so talkers weren't an issue. The sound was excellent where we were so decided to just watch from there and have room to dance (which I did, badly!). From Her To Eternity and White Elephant the highlights for me, but Tupelo, I Need You, Jubilee Street, Higgs Boson Blues and City of Refuge all get special mentions. The Bad Seeds are just so immense live, nothing can touch them. Sad to see Push the Sky Away pushed out as a closer but Ghosteen Speaks is pretty fucking beautiful. Tonally it felt a bit weird to shift into The Weeping Song from that as it seemed the perfect place to finish.

Set was really similar to Primavera I think? Ship Song and Weeping Song didn't get played there but not sure if anything else replaced them.

So I'm glad I went. I also really enjoyed Kae Tempest, Anna Calvi and quite liked The Smile, albeit not the easiest to get excited  about. Surprise set for me was Sean Johnson in 6music - lovely mellow house music for an hour surrounded by chilled people having a nice dance. That was ace.

All in all still don't love the festival. Things like the Amex Glitter Bar and constant attempts to sell you crypto feel icky, but I guess that's just how most festivals are now. Really dumb to only only have bar selling pints as well, but I guess making money is prioritised above giving people what they want! Wasn't a huge issue as we only bought a couple and switched to our rum, but fucked if I'm paying £7 for a can!

But had a good day and of course Cave delivered. Hope everyone else did too. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Posted this in APE thread too but my thoughts on yesterday:

Had a decent day yesterday. Cave was incredible as ever. We watched from quite far back and there was tons of space around us so talkers weren't an issue. The sound was excellent where we were so decided to just watch from there and have room to dance (which I did, badly!). From Her To Eternity and White Elephant the highlights for me, but Tupelo, I Need You, Jubilee Street, Higgs Boson Blues and City of Refuge all get special mentions. The Bad Seeds are just so immense live, nothing can touch them. Sad to see Push the Sky Away pushed out as a closer but Ghosteen Speaks is pretty fucking beautiful. Tonally it felt a bit weird to shift into The Weeping Song from that as it seemed the perfect place to finish.

Set was really similar to Primavera I think? Ship Song and Weeping Song didn't get played there but not sure if anything else replaced them.

So I'm glad I went. I also really enjoyed Kae Tempest, Anna Calvi and quite liked The Smile, albeit not the easiest to get excited  about. Surprise set for me was Sean Johnson in 6music - lovely mellow house music for an hour surrounded by chilled people having a nice dance. That was ace.

All in all still don't love the festival. Things like the Amex Glitter Bar and constant attempts to sell you crypto feel icky, but I guess that's just how most festivals are now. Really dumb to only only have bar selling pints as well, but I guess making money is prioritised above giving people what they want! Wasn't a huge issue as we only bought a couple and switched to our rum, but fucked if I'm paying £7 for a can!

But had a good day and of course Cave delivered. Hope everyone else did too. 

The Ship Song was played at Primavera but yeah no Weeping Song there. He’s in immense form at the moment, need him back on the farm, preferably other stage headliner

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

The Ship Song was played at Primavera but yeah no Weeping Song there. He’s in immense form at the moment, need him back on the farm, preferably other stage headliner

Ah was it? I didn't remember it. Fair play,  very similar set then. I think they only did The Weeping Song as they had time for one more as it really felt the gig had ended before it.

I see them back in the usual Sunday sub slot but they'll smash it regardless.

Yesterday was a lot better than expected, given the location. I thought Nick and the whole band were in cracking form and seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

Set list was near identical to Best Kept Secret back in June, except for Carnage made an appearance then in between Waiting for You and Tupelo and they tagged the Weeping Song onto the end of the encore last night.

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hope they ditch Vortex for the next tour. I like it fine but I feel like it always lowers the energy and they have sooo many better songs.

Thought Vortex was amazing tbh, like it on record but goes to a different level live. Everyone around me was loving it. 

Not a great lover of Ghosteen Speaks, would have liked to have seen Henry Lee and Jack the Ripper in there but overall it was an amazing gig, one of my favourites of the year. 

6 hours ago, JHad said:

Yesterday was a lot better than expected, given the location. I thought Nick and the whole band were in cracking form and seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

Set list was near identical to Best Kept Secret back in June, except for Carnage made an appearance then in between Waiting for You and Tupelo and they tagged the Weeping Song onto the end of the encore last night.

Brilliant night last night.

Incredible power coming from Nick and the range and depth of emotions he pours out is just phenomenal.

Jubilee Street was something special.

I hope he is in the frame for a Pyramid headline again

18 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Brilliant night last night.

Incredible power coming from Nick and the range and depth of emotions he pours out is just phenomenal.

Jubilee Street was something special.

I hope he is in the frame for a Pyramid headline again

Unfortunately I think there'd just be a rather large list of acts they'd call on first. Other headline or sub seem the most likely options.

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Unfortunately I think there'd just be a rather large list of acts they'd call on first. Other headline or sub seem the most likely options.

Other Headline maaaaaybe but I can't see him subbing in the daylight again.

Also I'd pity the act coming after him. Remember seeing him at Werchter, co-headlining with AM who were playing after him. His show put AM's one to shame. Good that he decided to only do (2h+) headline shows this year. 

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yeah. How dare people want to see new bands get an opportunity. Nick is phenomenal live but takes like this are ridiculous. 

By newer "rock" acts, I'm referring to well established bands like AM and the like, not totally new acts.

The difference between The Bad Seeds and the likes of AM etc, is like the difference between a top PL football team and a 2nd division football team.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

By newer "rock" acts, I'm referring to well established bands like AM and the like, not totally new acts.

The difference between The Bad Seeds and the likes of AM etc, is like the difference between a top PL football team and a 2nd division football team.

Then say AM and not 'newer rock acts' who have been around for 20 years now and younger people still enjoy them to a degree that out performs Nick Cave. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/11/nick-cave-on-music-grief-and-spirituality-faith-hope-carnage

Interview is worth reading, if just for this very emotional extract:

9E6A0BA1-1491-406B-9E6B-8351282BC06A.jpeg

That's a great interview and that book looks a must buy for sure.

I'm a bit late to this but that All Points East set was pretty immense wasn't it?

Has to be up there with the best times I've seen him, it felt like the perfect closing to a great summer

On 9/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/11/nick-cave-on-music-grief-and-spirituality-faith-hope-carnage

Interview is worth reading, if just for this very emotional extract:

9E6A0BA1-1491-406B-9E6B-8351282BC06A.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. I'm fascinated by how Skeleton Tree foreshadowed real-life events in terms of Arthur's passing. Like so many people I assumed it was written after the fact as I've found it such a powerful album in coping with my own grief.

Looking forward to the book.

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. I'm fascinated by how Skeleton Tree foreshadowed real-life events in terms of Arthur's passing. Like so many people I assumed it was written after the fact as I've found it such a powerful album in coping with my own grief.

Yeah - it is an odd one. Especially as (imho) the quality of his songwriting has dipped considerably after the fact.