Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Just now, Kurosagi said:

Found it in an interview he did:

Mostly, Cave and his wife, Susie Bick, who also appears in the film, talk around Arthur rather than about him: It seems they’re balanced on a thread between heightened awareness and permanent numbness. Cave speaks somberly about his inability to think, let alone talk, about the days around the time Arthur died. “Time is elastic,” he says, “We can go away from the event but at some point the elastic snaps back and we always come back to it.” At one point Dominik’s lens scrutinizes Cave’s face, currently that of a tired, ancient boy, as if he were showing it to us for the first time. In fact, it’s as if Cave is seeing it for the first time. “What happened to my face?” he says. “Look at these bags under my eyes. Where did they come from? They weren’t here last year.”

Yeah that's exactly how I remembered it! 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's exactly how I remembered it! 

Ha, you've a better memory than me!

And yes, the OMTWF film was very powerful, I regularly think about the closing scene and how utterly silent the audience were as though we were glued to our seats and nobody could move despite the credits rolling. By contrast we all stood up and clapped and cheered at the end of the new one.

Another amusing scene in the film that I suddenly remembered today: Nick is asked about Warren's role in the Bad Seeds, and he replies that Warren initially took a subordinate role. Then slowly, he took the Bad Seeds out one by one. "I am the next one to go", Nick adds dryly. "He is singing a lot more these days".

Edited by Watergirl

31 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Another amusing scene in the film that I suddenly remembered today: Nick is asked about Warren's role in the Bad Seeds, and he replies that Warren initially took a subordinate role. Then slowly, he took the Bad Seeds out one by one. "I am the next one to go", Nick adds dryly. "He is singing a lot more these days".

Ha yeh. This was ace.

3 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Oh yeah I loved this!

@Zoo Music Girl - I feel like this is a question for you... If you have any idea, that is.

But what sort of setlist should we expect at Primavera? 

I've never massively got into Nick despite the fact that he feels like an act I really should have. But given we're only a week and a half away I really want to focus my listening around what he might play. 

Are his recent setlists with Warren Ellis something to go on or is that part of something different? 

2 hours ago, zeppelin said:

@Zoo Music Girl - I feel like this is a question for you... If you have any idea, that is.

But what sort of setlist should we expect at Primavera? 

I've never massively got into Nick despite the fact that he feels like an act I really should have. But given we're only a week and a half away I really want to focus my listening around what he might play. 

Are his recent setlists with Warren Ellis something to go on or is that part of something different? 

Hello! It's been a while since he's played with the Bad Seeds now but I'd take a look at the last tour setlists for Skeleton Tree for an idea of the older material that might get played. I'm expecting a few Ghosteen tracks as they never toured that. I'd be really surprised if they play anything from Carnage as that was just Warren Ellis and him, rather than the Bad Seeds, although I love it and am really hoping we at least get one, maybe Hand of God or White Elephant.

I'd give Ghosteen, Skeleton Tree and Push the Sky Away a listen but these are all gentler beasts than the Seeds tend to be live. You're likely to get a few from these. Maybe I Need You, Higgs Boson Blues, Jubilee Street, Push the Sky Away, Galleon Ship. Hollywood is incredible live but really long so not sure they'll do it. Girl in Amber maybe. Spinning Song and Bright Horses maybe? We Know Who U R?

In terms of the older stuff it's from all over the shop so you could do worse than pick up a best of (there are two I think?). Expect The Mercy Seat, The Ship Song, The Weeping Song (maybe with Blixa?), Tupelo, Jack the Ripper, From Her to Eternity, Red Right Hand, Stagger Lee, Deanna, Where the Wild Roses Grow. That said these all got an outing on their last tour so they may have chosen to mix it up a bit. Such a huge catalogue to choose from.

That's not too helpful is it? Dive into a best of though I reckon and if you have time then the last three Bad Seeds albums. And Carnage just because it's great.

I think they do one gig in Denmark before Primavera so not sure whether to look at the setlist or not! 

If you've never seen them before you are in for such a treat. Unbelievable live band. You don't need to be familiar with it all to be blown away.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hello! It's been a while since he's played with the Bad Seeds now but I'd take a look at the last tour setlists for Skeleton Tree for an idea of the older material that might get played. I'm expecting a few Ghosteen tracks as they never toured that. I'd be really surprised if they play anything from Carnage as that was just Warren Ellis and him, rather than the Bad Seeds, although I love it and am really hoping we at least get one, maybe Hand of God or White Elephant.

I'd give Ghosteen, Skeleton Tree and Push the Sky Away a listen but these are all gentler beasts than the Seeds tend to be live. You're likely to get a few from these. Maybe I Need You, Higgs Boson Blues, Jubilee Street, Push the Sky Away, Galleon Ship. Hollywood is incredible live but really long so not sure they'll do it. Girl in Amber maybe. Spinning Song and Bright Horses maybe? We Know Who U R?

In terms of the older stuff it's from all over the shop so you could do worse than pick up a best of (there are two I think?). Expect The Mercy Seat, The Ship Song, The Weeping Song (maybe with Blixa?), Tupelo, Jack the Ripper, From Her to Eternity, Red Right Hand, Stagger Lee, Deanna, Where the Wild Roses Grow. That said these all got an outing on their last tour so they may have chosen to mix it up a bit. Such a huge catalogue to choose from.

That's not too helpful is it? Dive into a best of though I reckon and if you have time then the last three Bad Seeds albums. And Carnage just because it's great.

I think they do one gig in Denmark before Primavera so not sure whether to look at the setlist or not! 

If you've never seen them before you are in for such a treat. Unbelievable live band. You don't need to be familiar with it all to be blown away.

That got me all excited! Was so disappointed that the 2020 show got cancelled (I love seeing them indoors), but will see them at All Together Now thankfully. Push the sky away is such a beautiful closer, I liked it on the album, but when I heard it live it blew me away. Can’t wait!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thank you so much for this! 😄

I will heed this advice, and also the setlist put together in the Primavera thread! Still plenty of time to get to know a likely amount I think.

As I say, it's a wonder I've never got into them - although no one in my family is and none of my friends seem to so maybe that's why. Very excited from the reviews I've always read on here and the excitement they generate.

32 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Thank you so much for this! 😄

I will heed this advice, and also the setlist put together in the Primavera thread! Still plenty of time to get to know a likely amount I think.

As I say, it's a wonder I've never got into them - although no one in my family is and none of my friends seem to so maybe that's why. Very excited from the reviews I've always read on here and the excitement they generate.

You're very welcome! One of my favourite subjects to ramble on...

It took me a lot longer to get into them than I should. I heard a few tracks from Murder Ballads when it came out and then it took me another 10 years to investigate the back catalogue. And then I listened to all of it... a lot!

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

That got me all excited! Was so disappointed that the 2020 show got cancelled (I love seeing them indoors), but will see them at All Together Now thankfully. Push the sky away is such a beautiful closer, I liked it on the album, but when I heard it live it blew me away. Can’t wait!

Enjoy! And nice to see you on the forum again 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this was a nice surprise that popped into my inbox this morning:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ show from Montreux Jazz Festival will be streamed live on 2 July at 11:00 PM CEST via Qello Concerts. To watch the livestream visit HERE

The show will be re-broadcast on 2 July at 11pm EDT, and for a final time on 3 July at 11pm AEST.

Oh, now that could be quite enjoyable. If they are sticking to the setlist toured across Europe so far, that is a potential all-timer.

The show behind Skeleton Tree was a blinder - especially if Skeleton Tree really kicked you in the heart - but this looks to have unearthed all of my favourite mid-noughties cuts and married them to the best of the rest. A proper dream of a setlist.

Will have to weigh up whether I go to APE in the end or hang on - in the blind hope - for follow-up shows (which will likely tweak those glorious songs, alas.)

On 7/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Oh, now that could be quite enjoyable.

Really lovely show. He seems energised to be playing his back catalogue after the break of pace with the Carnage tour and was having plenty of fun with the crowd.

Crossing my fingers that I'll get to watch the livestream again in an hour or so for the AEST broadcast, hoping they won't filter the stream based on location.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

The show behind Skeleton Tree was a blinder - especially if Skeleton Tree really kicked you in the heart

Nice turn of phrase 👍

1 minute ago, Kurosagi said:

Really lovely show. He seems energised to be playing his back catalogue after the break of pace with the Carnage tour and was having plenty of fun with the crowd.

Crossing my fingers that I'll get to watch the livestream again in an hour or so for the AEST broadcast, hoping they won't filter the stream based on location.

Nice turn of phrase 👍

Some tech issues halted me, alas. Will have to see if I can have a second crack at it in due course.

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yes indeed. (I can confirm this, I have people on the ground there.)

Perfect.

And I've just got the countdown loading screen up so they're not filtering on location.

A reminder for anyone else who wants to see the gig for free:

https://qello.com/app/concert/3307461/free-livestream/montreux-jazz-festival-nick-cave-&-the-bad-seeds

• 1 month later...