Van Morrison....again

gwemyss21

I always think I should make more of an effort with Van Morrison. I know the hits and imagine there is a lot there for me to enjoy.

Is Astral Weeks the ideal starting place? It always seems to do well in best ever album polls.

That or Moondance. Or His Band And The Street Choir. His entire 70s output is superb. Nearly all of it anyway.

Regarding where he could play, he too hit and miss to be very high on the Pyramid Stage.

Edited by The Nal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eavis said he was playing at some event I was at a few weeks back. Saturday on the Pyramid he said and looked very excited.

Hes not the only one! He playing as good now as he has in 35 years.

And 10 years since he stank out the Pyramid .

Edited by The Nal

Van has a special place in my life as my first date with Mrs GH was taking her to a Van concert.

I've also seen him at his worst and best. My great memory was when he played at a small venue in Newport as a shake out preparation for a world tour. He went on at 9pm and did an hour during which time people were shouting out for things like Brown Eyed Girl to which he dismissively replied: "What do you think this is a fecking old folks home?"

He then had a break, and I think a few bevvies. When he came back on he was in a different mood. Any set list went out of the window and he just made it up as he went along, more or less challenging the band the follow him. And the songs included Brown Eyed Girl.

He finally left the stage at 1am after a superb set that the audience will never forget (and that he probably can't remember).

The night actually got a mention in a Van biography as one of his great nights.

that's when Michael is reputed to have said Van will play, third from top.

I think that's where I first put him, and I'm not sure now why i might have moved him. Anyway, I presume what Michael said still stands.

You said you moved him based on that line-up prediction that said he was headlining acoustic.

But as I relayed to Neil Michael definitely said he was 3rd top on the Pyramid. It might be wrong but he did say that.

• 4 months later...

well Burt Bacharach was apparently (pretty sure i read it on here) asked really last minute to play (or did he ask to play..? i can't remember), so i'm guessing that was in Morrison's vacant slot. why he seemingly pulled out though i have no idea

I don't think that was it, unless they swapped acts around for different days.

I suspect it was Michael playing games with people he spoke to - he has to have something to say - or alternatively it might have been Emily playing games with Michael.

Edited by eFestivals

I don't think that was it, unless they swapped acts around for different days.

I suspect it was Michael playing games with people he spoke to - he has to have something to say - or alternatively it might have been Emily playing games with Michael.

Morrison was due to play third on the Saturday wasn't he? so Bacharach eventually being fourth surely wouldn't have taken too much shuffling about if that was the case