Eminem

Guest Justiceforcedave

Not at all. Eminem headlined two uk festivals two years ago (both legs of V and Tennants Vital). He's already headlined R&L. There's very little special about it from a booking point of view, and shows a lack of creativity from R&L's point of view. Why not go for Watch The Throne? Why not go for Dre?

I can't see what makes this special at all, and I'm concerned for the rest of the fest it's going to be another bad year.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a fan, but it's a decent booking and a real surprise. I was expecting Zane Lowe to announce Sabbath or Blur, but first time in a while Reading has surprised me on announcement day.

Given he had the heavy day in 2001, I can see it happening again with Deftones on the same day. The over reaction on Facebook about it becoming V or a chav fest has been hilarious.

If we're bringing back artists from 2001, then Rancid, Mogwai and Trail of Dead please! ;)

was anybody honestly thinking that Watch The Throne were going to headline Reading & Leeds? really? it was never going to happen. Eminem is probably the most 'out of the box' that Reading & Leeds are going to do headliner wise. he headlined 10 years ago, a much bigger gap than any other repeat headliner (it's usually a rotation of about 6 years). and yes he headlined V, two years ago, but V is a lot more of a pop festival, and i imagine a lot of usual Reading/Leeds goers didn't fancy watching the hoards of pop dross just to see Eminem. this gives the other side of his fanbase a chance to see him

and about the festival going in the wrong direction - because of ONE headliner? would you rather Muse, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Metallica and all of the other bands who headline all of the time headlined again? just an ever rotating list of guitar bands atop the Main Stage. i'm sure the other two headliners will fit right into that bill and be predictable as always, but Eminem being there is a long needed breath of fresh air

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I'm not going but I've been 4 times (Leeds) before so still browse these boards.

I think it's a good booking. Much better than the run of the mill bands who are creeping towards headlining like Mumford & Sons, and better than someone like Killers/KOL/Muse headlining again.

He's got more than enough hits to fill his set twice over. Those fuming about the announcement should probably understand that it's a festival, and a headliner like Eminem means their favourite hype bands of the year will be on in the NME tent all night.

A friend saw Eminem a couple of weeks ago when he performed at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Said he was on top form, really impressive show, looked like he cared and played a varied setlist spanning across his years. Encouraging from that point of view. I'm sure he'll put on a top show.

It's odd that the younger Reading demographic who see Eminem as a pop act are kicking up a shit. It's the older lot who think its a good booking. Eminem was the biggest act in the world once and although not quite that any more he is still a massive act.

Watch The Throne would have been a monumental booking but why would they ever play, they're doing other things the album has been and gone. Snoop and Dre- uninspired, happened at Coachella, one year later, no need for a rehash.

Would love to see Sabbath, Eminem and Blur. or Biffy Eminem and Blur or some combination. Surely that < would be a quintessential Reading set of headliners, diversity.

Yes, they were predicted by quite a few people. If Eminem, a headliner which has only just headlined another major English, let alone UK festival, is the most out of the box the festival is going to get, i'll be happy to get my ticket off ebay for a tenner just before the fest. Obviously Eminem can't be a million miles away from V's demographic if they booked him?

If an act which has headlined the fest before, and headlined a major uk festival two years ago is a "breath of fresh air", i can't imagine what something routine must be?

The direction of the booking is great. Well done for thinking outside usual guitar bands, but why not go for a booking in what Eminem's genre once was? Why not go for Watch The Throne? Or Kanye? Or Dre? None of them have played before, Kanye hasn't played a UK fest since 2009 iirc, and none of them have played a UK fest recently.

(This is completely ignoring what his performance is going to be like, but if you enjoy 30 second snippets of songs, you'll love it).

A friend saw Eminem a couple of weeks ago when he performed at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Said he was on top form, really impressive show, looked like he cared and played a varied setlist spanning across his years. Encouraging from that point of view. I'm sure he'll put on a top show.

It's odd that the younger Reading demographic who see Eminem as a pop act are kicking up a shit. It's the older lot who think its a good booking. Eminem was the biggest act in the world once and although not quite that any more he is still a massive act.

Watch The Throne would have been a monumental booking but why would they ever play, they're doing other things the album has been and gone. Snoop and Dre- uninspired, happened at Coachella, one year later, no need for a rehash.

Would love to see Sabbath, Eminem and Blur. or Biffy Eminem and Blur or some combination. Surely that < would be a quintessential Reading set of headliners, diversity.